What happens if they can't complete surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoMammy

Obviously a question for the surgeon when it comes time, but in the meantime...

When I had my first surgery 6 years ago the report states that it was very difficult to find a place to clamp and it was a difficult surgery etc etc. What would happen if they had taken out the crappy valve and were unable to put in the new valve due to excessive calcification at the site etc. Ecom? LVAD? Just curious.

I agree that this is definately a question for the surgeon.

My best guess is that while its difficult its not impossible. So while that may drag out the surgery longer they will get the job done.

Another reason why reoperation is undesirable

If "Plan A" can't be completed for whatever reason, they go to Plan B...etc. Only the surgeon can answer that question Chicagomammy, unfortunately, and even then it will depend on what can be completed and what may need variation due to the challenge confronting them when they get some hands and eyes on the issue.... I discussed some alternate plans with my surgeon should he find this or that...and in the end you have to trust your surgeon to make a decision when he is confronted with the particular complication or issue. Have faith, most surgeons are up to the challenge of difficult procedures, thats what they train to do...take care, and stay in touch.

During my AVR they ran into a lot more calcification than had been expected. It took a bit longer than planned, but my surgeon did a great job dealing with it. That's when it's reassuring to have a surgeon who's done several thousand procedures rather than someone doing his first.
Mark

Until you hear the assuring answer from your surgeon which will definitely wean off your fears, I like to tell you that my valves were much more calcified than my surgeon expected. Surgery took a bit longer! that was all.

Remember also that technology has improved a great deal during the past six years when you had your first surgery.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:)

Latest posts

Back