What Do You Wish You'd Known Pre-Surg...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

deogloria

Okay, call me stupid, but I've been so busy up til now with a million things (and six kids, lol) that I haven't been doing what I should--researching surgery experiences on this board. I've read some over the past few months, of course, and I'm reading now. But with surgery less than 24 hours away, I'm afraid I'll miss stuff...like finding out my hands might be tied when I wake up! :eek:

So, can you guys help me out and tell me what you wish you had been told about BEFORE it happened? Or important tips, etc? I'll keep on reading through the archives, but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

From the moment you get to hospital to the moment you leave you'll be in the care of the proffessionals who've done the whole process many times before.. All in a days work for them. Just try to relax hand yourself over to them to do what they do best and make you better.
You've got through the waiting and that's the hardest part really.
Good luck.

Don't fret yourself over-preparing for the hospital. They keep you busy and you'll be in sort of a fog anyway.
You may have an extra 15-20 pounds of fluid when you are discharged (it doesn't last), so have loose clothes and shoes for your going-home ride.
Pain medication (if you need it--I didn't) is usually on demand, so don't wait for it to be offered, ASK for it.
Every one of the staff will push your bedside table out of the way and leave it--along with your water and call button. Keep the call unit next to you in bed.
All you have to do now is show up and turn yourself over to the experts. Let go. And be sure to post afterward.
Best wishes for a successful surgery!

Debby-thanks. I agree about the call button. After 7 surgeries and other hospital stays, I always wrap the hospital remote wire around the raised side rail of the bed. Nothing worse than being immediately post-op and having the remote fall on the floor. No tv controls, no call button, and no way to yell for help because you're in too much pain! I went a half hour that way once, and I was in desperate need of help at the time.

As far as the table goes...I'm kind of a bitch. ;-) I make sure every time a tech, nurse, and even DOCTOR tries to leave the room, I instantly ask them to put the table, lights, curtain, door, etc. exactly as it was before they came in. Nurses are the worst about wanting to leave your curtain open, door open, even when you put signs on your door asking (nicely) that they keep the door shut tight. So I don't give them the chance to do it. If they do, I just hit the call button every time. They end up figuring out they're better off doing it before they leave, lol.

Get to know your nurses, and be nice. It is always better to be the patient they like, not one who pushes the call button for every little thing.

You might want a good pair of slippers for when you are walking after recovery. Sometimes thoses hospital socks are not enough.

Also, make sure your family knows to limit the number of visitors the first few days. This is the time rest is most important.

I wish you the best, good luck & God Bless

Last edited:
You have gotten some good advice here.

My huge pet peeve was other patients' noisy visitors. It's a cardiac surgery ward. SHUT UP.
Ooops, I'm having a flash back, carry on. Best wishes. :)

Oh, I'm always super nice. I was joking about the bitchy thing. I try not to buzz too often, and if I end up needing things frequently, I apologize for being troublesome, and I make sure the nurses know I appreciate them, especially if it's a particularly good nurse. But I do ask them to close the door and curtain before they leave. ;-) I like my privacy, and my hospital has windows from the hallway into the room! (yes, the regular rooms!)

Limiting visitors is a good idea...except I won't have any! My husband will visit when he can, but I don't have any family in the area.

I will add slippers to my list. Thanks!

You might want a good pair of slippers for when you are walking after recovery. Sometimes thoses hospital socks are not enough.

I agree with Tbone about the slippers. You never know what is on the floor. A nurse friend told me some stories.:eek: Make sure they have non-slip soles.

Good luck with the surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

You have gotten some good advice here.

My huge pet peeve was other patients' noisy visitors. It's a cardiac surgery ward. SHUT UP.
Ooops, I'm having a flash back, carry on. Best wishes. :)

Things have changed over the years and my stay during OHS was just fine ? very quiet even though I was in the simian ward ?.

True Story: in 1979 I wrecked a boat ? ran it up on ground and into several trees ?. After the ER and recuperating at home it was decided I needed a skin graph on my leg ? After surgery I was confined to bed for 5 days ? I was in a private room and my surgeon was kind enough to allow me to have beer, which my brother dropped off daily ? I also had my then ex-girlfriend bring my guitar to help me pass the time ?. I slept most of the day but after dinner I would start having a few brews which actually mixed pretty well with the Demerol shots I was getting every four hours:cool: ? needless to say as the hours progressed my playing and singing got louder and louder ?. Can you believe some of the patients did not appreciate the blues?:rolleyes: ?. Not to mention the nursing staff was getting damn tired of emptying the urinal bottle:D ?. I think everyone was glad when I, the beer and guitar were discharged ?. Days of our youth ?. How did we ever survive?

Actually, VR was a great source of info for me. I went into surgery knowing exactly what to expect. However, there was one "surprise"-- that chest tube hurt when the doctor pulled it out! :eek:

I add my support to the tips on keeping the call button to hand, being appreciative of the nursing staff and keeping the visitor stream to a minimum.
As Woodbutcher said, put yourself in the hands of the professionals and just concentrate on eating, sleeping, walking and breathing to get better!
Cameron

-- On the day you are discharged, have whomever is picking you up bring any timed prescription medicine with them, and also have them fill any pain med or other med prescriptions BEFORE you are discharged. Don't get discharged if these cannot be filled.

The reason is that once you are discharged, the nurses cannot give you any more meds, and you may be facing -- as I was -- a gap in meds.

-- Tell your family and friends not to waste their money on flowers, plants or fancy food gifts, because flowers and plants are NOT allowed on cardiac floors, and it's unlikely you will be able or allowed to enjoy whatever food gift they send.

-- DO tell whomever is visiting you that you might request they bring doctor-approved food. Depending on the hospital, this may be your only chance to recover without junk food.

-- Bring a little flashlight to keep on the table near your bed. That way if you wake up and need a sip of water you won't have to blind yourself with the overhead lights.

Chap Stick and Lifesavers

Chap Stick and Lifesavers

were my salvation when the breathing tube was removed. I continued to experience extreme dryness, most likely caused by the medication and these items were very helpful. As soon as I was able to speak, I asked my DH to bring me the above items.

You might also ask the nursing staff if they have any popsicles on the unit. My ICU had them available and they were a welcome alternative to the flavored sponges that I had been offered up to that point.

By day 2 or 3 I realized that I needed a neckroll pillow since the hospital pillows were all very flat and hard to scruntch under my neck. My DH came through again and that little pillow was my friend all the way through rehab and again now that I'm home.

I'm only one month ahead of you, but I've been reading your posts since I joined VR and want to thank you for all your ideas for a safe recovery. I did purchase a lift chair and used my scooter in rehab--but then my post polio mobility issues tend to put me in a different catergory. Wishing you an eventless surgery and speedy recovery--you'll need all of your energy just to keep up with your family! Best wishes...

I knew before going in it would be difficult but it turned out to be much more difficult then I expected. I guess my reasoning was I had surgery and other procedures done before, nothing serious like a AVR but enough to be put under, so I kind of expected something like that. Well it was nothing like I ever had, did not expect the pain or the awful sick feeling I experienced, even though I should have, just my state of mind I guess going in! But like most people say here, everyone reacts differently to this surgery, I pray you have a very easy go of it!

EXTRA PILLOWS!!!! I had my husband and daughter (who waited through the surgery) bring along cheap, fluffy pillows for them to rest on while they waited. Then they threw them in the trunk of the car and when I got moved to the cardiac ward from ICU they brought me the pillows to save me from the awful hard bed!! 2 at least, maybe more!!

Be nice, yes! Laugh, joke, ask about their families! Bring photos of your own for your nightstand (ones that can be lost or spilled on -- quick computer-made types in cardboard frames). Nurturing the humanity is a worthy salve to this often bumpy road. :D

Good luck! Godspeed!

Marguerite

If you don't have the luxury of a private room, ear-plugs and an eye-mask!! Otherwise you'll be constantly woken up by other patients and nurses turning lights on in the middle of the night.

I also had my hair braided up into a "Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz" kind of do so it didn't get too tangled. Having the 2 braids also meant I could lay back and not have it feeling lumpy. It worked quite well.

Actually, VR was a great source of info for me. I went into surgery knowing exactly what to expect. However, there was one "surprise"-- that chest tube hurt when the doctor pulled it out! :eek:

Oh that makes me cringe again.....the chest tubes were horrible coming out. Even though it was quick, it threw me for a loop.

Latest posts

Back