What do I need to plan for when coming home?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No house cleaning!:) It can be difficult to leave tasks to others, but let them
do it. You may feel as if you can,but it's best to not do any lifting,pulling,
etc. I almost tore my stitches trying to button my jeans:rolleyes::eek:
Walking regularly is fine though.

Post-op

Post-op

Experiences and perspectives vary regarding what individuals need when they return home following OHS...

I managed very well with a minimum of assistance following AVR surgery. Some can handle and even enjoy having someone take care of them, and that's okay. Having someone fuss over me just wasn't a good fit with my personality.

Having someone around the house to help me out after I returned from the hospital would've resulted in someone being bored and lonely. I returned to work 1/2 days the week following my hospital stay and began working full-time the week after that.

-Philip

I did it all by myself, it was hard, but I had no choice. If I had children it would be a different story. I was very lucky to be strong enough to handle it on my own. I did a lot of preparation in advance. I did go to a sub-acute care facility, but that was such a nightmare I signed myself out within 24 hours.
It seems that you now have a plan, lots of success with your surgery.

Well I meant Im not going to get in the shower, run up and down the stairs, or tackle a treadmill without someone being here the first two weeks with me, lol

You should expect it far more likely than not you will be able to walk stairs. I was not permitted to leave Mass General until I walked up and down a full flight with a nurse. Their point being, 'You are not an invalid; don't treat yourself like one.' The more active you are (within the safe capacity for you individually), the sooner you will get back to your regular routine. Laying around in bed or sitting in a chair all day (unless that is all you can manage) is not going to get your strength back.

We are all different but if you keep a positive mind set and realize many (perhaps most) of us are capable of being more independent than we expected soon after surgery.

It must be stressed to only do what you personally are up to but don't baby yourself to the point of delaying your recovery.

Walk the stairs as many times a day as you are able....... IF your doctor permits.
I, like many here, have been through it twice and learned a lot along the way. We have to listen to our bodies and not push ourselves too hard, too fast, but the more you walk, the better, the more active you are, the better. Listen to your body and your doctors.

I agree with Jkm7. Starting the first day home, it was out of bed, shower and then downstairs. I would eat and if it was not too hot or humid, take my morning walk. (Baltimore in August can get very muggy). The first couple of days, I would ask my kids to bring me a drink or something needed. After that, I made a point of getting everything myself. Never went back to bed - if I needed a nap, just took it on the sofa. Made sure I ate all my meals in the kitchen, at the table with the family. I found that the more I sat around, the worse I would feel. I discovered that anytime I started feeling blah or down, I would get up and move around. This always helped, even if it was just around the room I was in.

Stay active, stay positive, and you will get through just fine.

I wouldn't spend the very first day alone, but after that, if you have no complications, here are some suggestions:

Have someone put cold items that you may want in an easy-to-reach and easy-to-open cooler. This way you don't have to open the refrigerator. A cooler set on the kitchen table might be the right height.

Set out your medication bottles on an easy-to-reach counter. LIDS OFF! Even "non child-proof" caps can be hard to open. (The reason I don't suggest a pill-keeper is that you might confuse different kinds of medicines.) If you don't have safe tap water or a water cooler, have water there, too, either already poured into glasses or in water bottles with their lids already unscrewed.

If your microwave is above your stove, rather than on the counter, don't rely on using it.

Paper plates and plastic cups!

Pre-surgery, wash and have ready easy-dress items, and store them on shelves or counters that are waist-to-chest high. These might be "hoodie" sweatshirts (the kind that zip in front,) shirts that button in front, camis that you can pull up from your feet (rather than pull over your head,) pull-on pants (yoga pants, sweat pants) and undies. Socks can be hard at first, so have your husband help you put on a pair in the morning and then wear secure slip-on shoes or slippers.

(Why set out the clothes when your husband could help you in the morning? If you spill on yourself, or take a nap and wake up all sweaty. I woke up sweaty all the time!)

Print out one or two pages of phone numbers using LARGE FONTS. The list should have every applicable doctor, the hospital, any hospital help lines, and also your husband, mother and all helping neighbors. Why all these numbers? Let's say you need help and neighbor #1 comes over. She can then call your husband, mom, doctor or other neighbors.

Pre-surgery, make sure you have a cell-phone holster that fits your phone AND from which it is EASY to remove your phone. Then wear your phone all the time! Or maybe put it in a small fanny-pack, if the fanny-pack is easy to get on and off.

I had my sister with me for about 4 days.. It was nice to have someone make my meals the first few days. My kids were a bit older than yours (7 and 9) so they were pretty helpful. It was also summer and they played out a lot. Dh helped me with the shower for the first couple of days. I also had a visiting nurse (they didn't really do anything) If you can have someone around the first couple days it would be helpful. I slept alot in the begining.. everything made me so tired..

Latest posts

Back