What about work?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckley

I've kind of skirted the issue, but the more information I get the more I'm realizing I might be headed for an employment issue. I get my surgery date at Hopkins probably on October 14th. So I'm looking at late October or early November for my MVR. I'm 38 so probably mechanical. Here's the thing, I'm an Auto Mechanic. Heavy lifting working around electricity and not to mention the machines that don't think we should touch them. Sometimes I think they have teeth and aren't affraid to use them. From all of your personal experiences what do you think? Am I headed for a new carreer? What limitations do you guys with mechanical valves have. I know I need to ask my surgeon and I will ask him and both cardiologists that are working on me. Just a little insight before I go.

I have never had any limitations imposed on me by doctors. I have always had "white collar" work but have had a number of physically demanding avocations such as carpentry (framing and finishing), landscaping etc. That activity has never caused any problems.

Ask your surgeon and cardio. I doubt that working around electricity should be a problem. Your risk of cutting yourself might cause some additional problem, but not a lot. The risks of working around heary metal should not be a problem once you've healed since you are young. However, it might also be a good idea to begin to work towards something less strenuous for when you get older. Maybe a "service writer"?

I don't have a mechanical, but from what I hear, even with blood thinners,
life goes on pretty much as usual. You will need a fair amount of time
before you can begin lifting, and heavy lifting I'm sure is fine as long as you
wait the appropriate time(6months) before you attempt it. I know there are some guys here that have started weight lifting again.
As far as the electric machinery and a mechanical valve- I dont see any
problem. Maybe be a little more careful since you are on blood thinners,
but even if you get a scratch or a cut it is usually okay -just apply pressure
to the cut for awhile longer than you normally would.If your INR is within range, you should be fine.
There are others here with first hand experience,maybe they can tell you more.
Best wishes--Dina:)

Well, if you wind up with a pacemaker (heart block resulting from the surgical scarring is possible), there are issues about working on/hanging over cars with engines running.

I know when my spouse worked as a transmission rebuilder, his hands were always cut up, bruised, etc. You can expect a bit more problems with bruising, and the cuts will bleed a bit more. Then there's the time he dropped the transmission on his foot...

I'd be somewhat concerned with the constant exposure to dirt and grime and the potential for infection.

I have a mechanical valve, and no limitations, except those imposed by my general state of un-fitness ! I do still garden, dig around the soil for the weeds, trim and deadhead roses, plant plants, cut the grass and so on; I have changed NOTHING about my lifestyle - except I carry a few bandaids in my purse "in case" - I work with paper and clothing, and would hate to get blood from a stupid paper cut on a nice new t-shirt or two.

There have been absolutely no limitations for my husband, Tyce. He does absolutely everything he did pre mechanical valve. The other day he took the mower deck off the tractor, replaced the throttle (or choke....i can't remember what it is) and does everything else normally. Hope it helps.

Evelyn

As one who has worked on Antichrists before, I can assure you that once your healed, there is no reason you cannot continue to battle the machinery. We must not let them win! Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it weren't for Fords, my tools would rust.

Latest posts

Back