Went to the gym today.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bocco

I was just tired of walking around my neighborhood so I thought I would try the gym. I got in about 35 minutes on a precore machine. Got my heart rate up to about 115. Tried to work on some core exercises but my sternum said stop. I'l try again on Monday morning I think.

Great work! It was also a smart idea to listen to your body about the core exercises. I think getting cabin fever is common in recovery. The monotony can be a bear, and it is good to change things up a bit. Better luck to you on Monday, maybe the sternum will be a little more cooperative. ;)

Tom

SWEET!!!! Music to my ears. Great job. I would leave abs and core till week 13 post surgery, this is about time when sternum def. healed. What about light leg curls, leg extensions and calf work next time you are there. Sounds like fun stuff you would enjoy as well ;)

Congrats! Glad to hear you took the initiative to get back to it!
Take it slow, but steady...Your on your way now.

Rob

Good call Vadim. I did just that this morning and it worked well. About 35 minutes on a cardio machine and then some leg work. Seems like the trick is to able to use the machine without holding on with you hands. I did play with a few ab exercises but they were a no go.

I checked my weight on the good scale at the gym and I'm about 192 lbs which is about 10 lbs under my normal weight. I'm pretty sure that's all lost muscle as I have been eating pretty good lately. Also just had my first protein shake in a long time.

It will also be interesting to see how the additional activity effects my INR level. I'll be talking to the guy at the clinic tomorrow and I should probably mention that I am starting to get more exercise.

SWEET!!!! Music to my ears. Great job. I would leave abs and core till week 13 post surgery, this is about time when sternum def. healed. What about light leg curls, leg extensions and calf work next time you are there. Sounds like fun stuff you would enjoy as well ;)

From what I understand activity level does not really affect it much. I have been searching for proof all over the place and there is not a clear proof of this.
Still, I am going to make a post of all the cool exercises people can do for the first 13 weeks and hopefully it could help some that want to get back into physical activities while their sternum is healing.

From what I understand activity level does not really affect it much. I have been searching for proof all over the place and there is not a clear proof of this.

I asked my guy at the coumadin clinic yesterday. Because I finally got back to my numbers after antibiotics. He said it did have some effect but not big. He didn't change my dose. He just said we'll see after the next test.

Back