Went to the EP, nervous to take these new pills

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

Hello everybody. Its been a while since I've been on here. So I've had PVCs since 2005 and I've had them every third heart beat since my surgery. At first they made me absolutely crazy but now only sometimes do I even notice them. Also I have atrial flutters once in a while and I've had a-fib only a couple times. I have a great cardiologist she is the absolute best and she sent me to an electrophysiologist at the Cleveland clinic to work out my arrythmias. I have been on Sotalol for about a year and a half and it hasn't caused any problems after I got used to being on it and he wants me to stop taking that and start Tambacor (flecainide) and acebutolol. Of course I go online and read at rxlist and drugs.com all the side effects and freak myself out. Tambacor seems kind of dangerous and I have a good chance of dizziness and vision issues which is why I stopped so many different beta blockers in the past. I called my cardiologist and she is very cautious and does a lot of research if she tries something different on me, I'm telling you she is the best, I'm waiting for a call back. First of all if I get off Sotalol and these other drugs don't work out then I have to go hang out in the telemetry until at the hospital for a couple days to get put back on Sotalol. I know this is the best EP in Florida and probably the South East so maybe I need to chill out and take the damn pills but I can't have blurred vision and dizziness right now, I've got three projects due this weekend, two the next weekend and then three final exams in three weeks, so this will be a bad time for side effects.

Soooo Michelle, Wait and see what your cardiologist thinks. Then also speak again to the EP. If they are both still insistent, then maybe you can put off starting the new meds til after all your projects and finals are due or maybe not as strong a pill at first, just to see how your body reacts. You are right, side effects can bring havoc to a person. But do whatever the doctor's think is best for you. I hope all works out well for you. :)

Yes, I need to wait and hear what my cardiologist has to say. I just get really nervous about new meds, I've been on some horrible ones

So the EP guy at CC-Florida wants to switch you off sotalol and onto something else, because the sotalol is not quite taking care of things? Is that correct?

I know we have to be monitored to start sotalol. Are we sure we don't have to be monitored when we STOP it, too?
I vote with double check with the cardio and have cardio consult with CC's EP about your concerns. And maybe you can reschedule this switch-over to a more convenient time for you, just in case you wind up back on Sotalol.

I wasn't monitored when my EP at Shands took me off Sotalol. However I do know that protocol does vary a bit on that.

I learned with time that fears from what I read on the internet cause me unnecessary and harmful anxiety. My doctors admire my resourcefulness, yet warn me not to be alarmed/affected by what I read. It is great to be knowledgeable and informed about the medication we swallow, yet to have real peace of mind, do ask your doctor about the benefits of switching and share with him what you read. I am sure he is sure the benefits outweighs the side effects.

Good luck.

My cardiologist said that the Tambacor (Flecanaide) is safe for people with healthy hearts and arteries, I guess the serious problems are only for those with heart disease. So she put me at ease, I'm sure I'll not enjoy taking these for the first month because I always get severe dizziness with any new heart med at first, but I'm looking forward to having less PVCs, one every third beat 24 hours a day is just too much! So I start on the 18th when my cardiologist comes back from vacation so that if I get anxious and need to call her that I can do so. As far as getting off the Sotalol they told me just to stop taking it and I should stop a day before I start my new meds. I'll give you guys an update and let you know how the Tambacor works for me

Well Michelle, glad to hear that you are now at more peace with the new med you are going to start. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that all goes well and soon you won't be bothered with all those PVC's. God Bless You.

I would ask for a 24 holter before and then a couple weeks after Tambacor (flecainide). I reduced my PVCw by about 70% on a very very low dose of that drug and that was good enough. We had a quantified basis for assessing effectiveness and made an infomred decision not to increase the dose to "normally prescribed levels."

Also, sometimes a good EP can determine general location of the PVCs and cna opine if ablation is worth it.

That is great to hear, if it cuts down my PVCs to 70% that would be cause for celebration. I'm waiting for a 30 day holter to be sent to me in the mail. I haven't received it yet. I'll be on 50 mg 2x a day. What dose is effective for you?

Back