Well, that was fast...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichardson

I had my Cardiac Cath on Feb 18th, and now my surgical consult is set up for March 8th, at 2:30 PM my time. Surgery could come shortly thereafter. The person who called me said that the surgeon had several open dates in March, so I think I'm probably gonna take the nearest available Monday. The surgeon I have has over 21 years experience, so that's comforting. I'm extremely confident in her abilities.

So time to start making preparations.

The other thing is, I talked briefly with the doctor who did my cardiac cath, and he told me that it's very likely they won't have to cut much of the heart muscle at all. That's what I was hoping for. Although there's likely no way around a full sternotomy. I was hoping there would be.

But hey, I'm looking at it this way: It's a new journey for me. If it'll increase my heart health, energy, and longevity, that's a GOOD thing.

mrichardson;n862862 said:
But hey, I'm looking at it this way: It's a new journey for me. If it'll increase my heart health, energy, and longevity, that's a GOOD thing.

That is a VERY GOOD thing. I celebrate my 80th birthday today and my docs told me, when I was 30, that I wouldn't reach 40 without a valve replacement.....so you can look forward to all the things you're asking for once you get "fixed".

What a wonderful, positive outlook! Once I was diagnosed with severe stenosis I just wanted the surgery over and done with. Making preparations as you are doing also gives you a little control over your situation. Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Hi

I agree entirely with your last line :
I

its exactly right!

I've had 3 OHS, and while its easy to be like everyone expects and say "I wish I hadn't had any of them" that would be not the truth.

I'm glad I had all of them (well lets not go into the last one in too much detail) as all have given me a new lease on life.

Like Spock says

"Live Long and Prosper"

Well, I mean, I'm not planning on trying to run in any marathons or anything. ;-)

Though it will be nice, once I'm given the OK, to work out more effectively. And to have more energy for my family and my hobbies. I have heard (but haven't really confirmed) that because this valve replacement will fix the regurgitation problem I'm having, that I will have more energy.

The doctor who performed my Cardiac Cath basically said I can't exercise for a week. I'd gotten into the habit of exercising in the mornings (at least a more rigorous exercise). So I've been doing some walking around (visiting grocery stores, big box stores, and so forth), but not the more rigorous exercising I was doing. My first day to do that again will be Friday, I believe.

My biggest dread right now isn't the surgery itself. It's the healing of the sternum afterward.

Also, I wonder if they will let me take Dramamine before I leave the hospital. I'm going to ask the doctor about it. It's on my list of questions. I'm asking because we live about 35 miles or so from the hospital where the surgery will be, and I got motion sick on the way home.

Another reason I want this to go well is my near 11 year old son and my wife at home. I want to be around a long time for them. I'm going to make sure to ask the doctor what kinds of exercises, and at what level, I can do them, too. I want to be able to do activities and maybe play some one on one with my son.

mrichardson;n863059 said:
Another reason I want this to go well is my near 11 year old son and my wife at home. I want to be around a long time for them. I'm going to make sure to ask the doctor what kinds of exercises, and at what level, I can do them, too. I want to be able to do activities and maybe play some one on one with my son.

A large part of our "dreams" for after valve surgery is related to those we love. We want to be there with them, for them, and then for ourselves. Don't let go of the idea. It will help you in recovery, too.

As for what you can do after recovery, a lot has to do with what you could do before surgery. If you were in absolutely lousy shape before surgery, plan on a long time before you can be in good shape. If you were in pretty good shape, you will recover most (if not all) of your pre-surgery capabilities within 9-12 months after surgery. At least, that was my experience. I went into surgery in "great shape for an old coot." My initial recovery was slow, for the first few months. Then it picked up speed, and by about 6-8 months I was about 80% back to my exercise abilities. Then, by about 12 months, I was about 100%. The best was after 12 months - I continued to improve and by about 18 months I was well ahead of where I had been a couple of years before surgery.

DO NOT try to plan your recovery based on my timetable. We all heal differently. I just wanted to remind you that you are probably exercise challenged now (to some degree), and that it will take time to heal, but over time you should finish the healing process in a better place than where you started from.

A lot of recovery is about attitude. If you think you can, you probably will.

Hi

mrichardson;n863059 said:

well then, pay strict attention to the doctors instructions about recovery, do your breathing exersizes well, once out of hospital the ball is in your court. Make your job to plan and perform recovery to the letter.

Do not over reach, do not sit on your arse doing nothing.

Document your exersizes in a spread sheet and look back at the charts to see for your self how your recovery is doing.

Ask advice here and follow it.

Then you will be playing with your son.

I see that in this thread, we haven't mentioned anything about cardiac rehab. Most of the times, cardiac rehab is recommended for heart surgery patients, starting somewhere between 4 and 12 weeks post-op. Sometimes, if the patient is young and/or is in really good physical shape, they just tell the patient to "do their own thing."

My recommendation is that if they don't recommend cardiac rehab for you, ask for it. In most cases, the rehab program is a series of one-hour sessions, usually 3 days a week for 12 weeks. In rehab you will be continuously monitored by trained technicians while you are "put through your paces" in an exercise environment. They will first assess your condition, then will start you slowly and build up to whatever levels you can attain during your program. If done right, they will push you to go harder than you think you can go, and they will probe to you that you really can do more and more, and that "nothing will break if you push it a bit." You will get out of this program just as much as you put into it.

I couldn't start rehab until I was 12 weeks out from surgery. (I hit almost all of the speed bumps on the road to recovery -- see my old posts.) When I started, I could walk, but was frequently breathless. I couldn't do much with the free weights, which I had been doing for years prior to surgery. I really enjoyed rehab, and even became the "class clown." Whenever they asked "Do you think you can do xyz?" My response was always "Bring it on!" I soon passed almost all of the younger patients in my rehab cohort. Part of my secret was that although rehab was three days a week, on the other two weekdays, I went to my own fitness center and did the exact same routine that I was doing in rehab at the time. Not only was it fun, but as I've already mentioned in other posts, I'm still at it and doing far more than most "elderly" gents my age.

Having a young son at home is a tremendous motivator. Use that to your advantage (and his, too).

epstns:

Speaking of Cardiac Rehab, I've been doing some reading on it. I know for the first few weeks following my surgery I won't be able to drive. Fortunately, as I've mentioned previously, I have a desk job writing software, so once I can drive, returning to work shouldn't be an issue. I'm also going to use a timer/stopwatch of sorts I found to remind me to get up and walk around every 45 minutes or so when I'm back in the office.

As far as cardiac rehab goes, though, will I need to take those days off work? Or is this something I could do in the evenings? How does that work? I'm going to need to know these things so that I can request accommodations if needed. I'll check with my doctor to make sure, but any little bit of info is helpful. I work about 30 miles from where I live. I've purchased a Short Form Tai Chi DVD, and I've been doing DDP Yoga since early January (down a few pounds, too!!). Since I won't be able to support myself for certain exercises (like push-ups), I figure I can do the Tai Chi and walk in lieu of the DDP Yoga, until the doctor OK's it.

Once you finished your Cardiac Rehab, how was your energy level compared to how it was prior to your surgery?

There are three phases to cardiac rehab. Phase 1 takes place while you are in the hospital with the guidance of your nurses. Mine didn't work much with me but that may not be the case with you. Phase 2 is outpatient. I'm doing that now at a different hospital from the one in which I had my surgery (closer to home). Rehab hours will differ depending on where you go. I work from 6:a.m. to 3 p.m. Mon., Wed., and Thurs, taking off an hour early to get to my rehab about an hour's drive away. I make it by 4:00 and they close at 5:00. That's my schedule. Phase 3 is a maintenance phase. For me it would be the same drill only without monitoring. My hospital charges $60 for 12 sessions, a great deal if you ask me. But I can't keep taking off an hour early three days a week so although I'm confident my doc would give me a prescription for the rehab, I won't be doing Phase 3.

My sessions consist of a 5-minute warm up on either the treadmill or exercise bike followed by 20 minutes on each machine, then a six minute cool down. Your speed/incline/resistance level will start slow and be increased at the nurses' discretion. Pretty simple. My heart rate is monitored the entire session with BP taken before, after, and once during exercise.

Google rehab centers near you then see if your insurance will cover them. My sessions are $513 each. I'm OOP $1400 so far this year.

For my rehab my cardiologist didn't think it worth me doing the rehab with post heart attack patients, which was the usual rehab done at my hospital, as I'd been very fit pre surgery, so he referred me to a one to one rehab cardiac nurse (which I had to pay for myself). The nurse (who was ironman trained in his spare time) tailor made rehab for me. It was based on interval training which exercises the heart very well by speeding it up for short bursts many times over the training session. When I injured my ankle he changed my rehab to weight lifting exercises which was still interval training and which really suited better me as I love weight lifting. I had several rehab sessions, followed by a home programme which I continue to do even now two years on, though I make the exercises more challenging, but the principles of interval training are still there. I wear a heart rate monitor to be able to monitor my heart rate rising and then falling, then rising and so on.

Hi

really glad to see you take a positive spin on it. I look forward to you posting your positive post-op experiences :)

Rehab is nothing more than an enforced set of sensible exersize guidelines for people who have never had a thought towards training. If you follow the instructions to not just sit on the couch, do your walks and gradually ramp up pushing yourself ever so slightly to do that little bit more each week you'll be better in no time.

Think in years ahead, don't think minute by minute for this.

Best Wishes

With all due respect to Pellicle's opinion on cardiac rehab, as a cardiac surgical nurse, I have to disagree; please read a passage from one of my Patient's Guide to Open heart Surgery books I will paste below:

Cardiac Rehab
Cardiac rehabilitation is a specialized program designed to help get you back to an active and safe physical life. Many insurance plans including Medicare provide coverage for cardiac rehabilitation and its primary goal is to offer counseling, exercise, nutrition, and psychological support, as you recover.
As you are instructed to start your road to rehabilitation, many patients are reluctant and even scared to stress their bodies. They feel that any physical strain or stress may injure or even cause another heart attack or problem. This is why cardiac rehab is such a great program. While you participate in the program, you are under the care and supervision of skilled staff: cardiac nurses, physical therapist, exercise physiologists, and nutritionist. All of them have specific knowledge of your surgery and limitations, and all trained in cardiac and emergency patient care. Best of all, your progress is reported back to your doctor.
At cardiac rehab, you are given more tools and information to keep your heart healthy. Don't think of it as a bunch of old people drudging on a half-broken treadmill. Most of these places are vibrant and modern. The course can include swimming, bicycling, and walking programs. (It's not your father's cardiac rehab!) You learn how hard and how much you can stress and exercise your body. They teach you how to alternate periods of rest and activity so you can exercise without becoming too fatigued. You also will have the opportunity to meet with others who are on the same journey, maybe even had the exact same surgery. You will learn how to get the best results out of all your hard work.
As you exercise, the cardiac rehab staff will monitor not only your heart rate, but also your EKG pattern. Most centers have monitors that measure your vital signs, oxygen saturation, and your blood pressure. Now that's a safe way to start exercising and stressing your heart!
Other Benefits From Cardiac Rehabilitation Include:
  • Detection and control of irregular heart beats
  • Detection and control of post-op complications
  • Review of your medications and dietary supplements
  • Direct communication with your physician
  • Education on how to lower your LDL bad cholesterol and raise your HDL good cholesterol
  • Maintaining of your weight or weight loss
  • Educating you on the risk factors of your surgery and recovery
  • Choosing healthy lifestyle changes: smoking cessation, daily exercise, diet
  • Slowing or even reversing cardio-vascular disease
Unfortunately, many patients do not participate in cardiac rehab. And of those that do participate, many drop out long before the end of the program. Some of the main reasons for non-participation are the following: lack of transportation, lack of strong endorsement from their doctor, accessibility issues to the cardiac rehab sites. The programs are usually 2 to 3 one-hour sessions per week and the program can be as long as 36 weeks. It is the length of the program that I believe to be the main stumbling stone for most patients. I have heard patients state that after the first couple of weeks, they have learned what to do and are capable of doing it on their own at home. However, just like most gym memberships (trust me I use to be a personal fitness trainer); most people tend to drop out of exercise programs after one month, especially if trying to do it on their own.
The statistics from the American Heart Association are sobering. Only 31% of post cardiac bypass patients participate in cardiac rehab programs. However, those who do participate and complete the entire program have a 20 to 30 % reduction in mortality up to 5 years post participation. One study of over 21,000 patients revealed a 17% reduction of recurrent heart attacks in patients that took advantage of cardiac rehab programs; it also showed a 47 % reduction in death at 2 years out, over those that did not do cardiac rehab. That statistic alone should give you pause.
Bottom line: if you are offered cardiac rehab and it is covered by your insurance, take advantage of it! Studies clearly show that those who attend all sessions (usually around 36), are less likely to die or have an heart attack in the next 4 years, over those that don't attend. The camaraderie alone will be worth it. You will meet many other people there that are on the same road of recovery. You will have the benefit of sharing stories and post op ailments with patients that have had the exact same procedure as you. You may hear yourself saying: "Yes! I'm having that same problem too. I thought it was just me. It is great to hear that it is normal after surgery ..."

So this was interesting. I had my consult yesterday (they asked me if I could reschedule because someone canceled). The surgeon answered most of my questions before I really even had a chance to ask them, which I thought was great.

I asked her about Cardiac Rehab, and she told me that with the surgery that I'm having, I won't need it.

She does want me to get a dental checkup, though, before the surgery, so I'm going to try to set that up for next week, and try to get everything taken care of ASAP.

She asked to see my scar from my stenosis correction when I was 22 months old. When I showed her, she said something like, "Oh, I can make that look better."

She also told me that they might be using a slightly larger valve, just because it lasts longer. Her preference is the bovine tissue valve, and so that's what I'll be getting. I did ask about the transcatheter valve replacement, but she said I'm not a candidate for that.

So, now I'm hoping for mid-late March.

I'm surprised she told you that you won't need cardiac rehab for this type of surgery. Cardiac rehab is more that just going and working out. It gives you a sense comfort as you are recovering. It gives you a place to ask questions and learn more about what your feeling and what your heart is doing. It's a sense of security as you start your way to recovery.

Faramacho gave you great detailed information and hopefully you will think a little more about it, you can always request to go post op if you change your mind.

I do know most insurances will pay for cardiac rehab for valve replacement patients, it's not just for heart attack or bipass patients. I'm on my third surgery for valvular heart problems and I'm on my second time going to cardiac rehab, I'm fully capable of going to the gym and doing it on my own, but it's just not the same.

Last edited:
I'm not as surprised as you, mrichardson. When I was researching my book I did talk to one of our best heart valve surgeons and his P.A. and they both said they offer Cardiac Rehab, but don't really promote or insist/encourage their patients to go; I was a bit shocked by this, for my research (as I stated above/previous) has sobering statistics from the American Heart Association. but I did also find in my research that there are Doctors/Surgeons that should but don't praise the Cardiac Rehab results. That is why I encouraged it's participation in my writings/books, even though my main source Surgeon thought otherwise. And by the way, I do offer my book Surgery Open Heart ( A Surgical Nurse Guides you Through Open Heart Surgery) for free to anyone on these forums. It is on Amazon Kindle/Books, but as I said don't buy it, just reach out to me and I will send it to you free of charge (I do this for free in-order to help the patients on these forums and also to not break the rules of solicitation on forums)

Good luck MRicharson! I strongly encourage cardiac rehab. I learned a lot from the other people in rehab and I learn a lot about my own limitations. I needed a reason to get out of the house anyway.

I left references to help others deal with pumphead in the Post-surgical forum, but everyone has a different experience to surgery. Courage. j

Latest posts

Back