weird heart beat/rate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercia

Did anyone on the forum experience the following symptoms? Is this something to be concerned about or not?

Had my MVR and a modified maze procedure on 06/24/2008. Cardioversion on 08/14

My heart starts a drum-roll, which is separate from my regular heartbeat. This lasts for a about 2minutes and then stops and starts all over again. Happens mainly at night. My chest area vibrates from this drum roll. So far nothing have showed up on my EKG?s.
Just went thru a cardioversion, which was successful so far in getting rid of my A-Fib. I do not believe this is related to the cardioversion, as it happened already prior to the procedure.

Also noticed that when walking my heart rate would suddenly spike to 269 and then back to 80 and then 206 and then back to 69 in a few seconds.
My rest rate is around 69 to 73. When I start walking it quickly jumps to 118, and then when I am really winded and expect my heart rate to be high it is down to low 80?s.
Blamed it on my heart rate monitor, but tried a different one, and it also showed a similar result. Not sure if it is due to medication, or not? Currently taking Amiodarone 400mg; Lasix 40mg; Metoprolol 25mg twice daily; Zocor 40mg and Cumiden.
Any thoughts on whether a halter monitor would be able to capture these occurrences?

I'd definately ask the cardiologist about trying it and find out. Something is haywire there.

Do you have a stethoscope?

If not, I highly recommend one to listen to your heart so that you can give a more definitive description, especially to your Doc's / Nurses, over the phone.

With a stethoscope, it is (usually) fairly easy to get an accurate HR (not sure about one that approaches 300 bpm). You can also get a better 'feel' for irregularities such as 'perceived skipped beats - usually PAC's or PVC's - which are often "regularly irregular".

I'm curious how long your Doc intends to keep you on 400 mg of Amiodarone, and when he started you, and why. If you have not read the information sheet on that drug, it would be wise to do so. In "moderate" doses, for relatively short times, it seems to work well at eliminating arrhythmias, but needs to be carefully monitored, especially at doses over 200 mg for extended periods of time. Do a "Search" (see Blue Line at top of page) for Amiodarone to find links to MANY discussions of this drug. Or ask your pharmacist about it.

thanks for your responses

thanks for your responses

Ross - thanks, I hope to have a halter monitor by tomorrow to see if some of this riddle can be solved.

Al, my cardiologist and myself are very aware of the amiodorone side effects -and he monitors blood work regulary. This is kind of a last resort to deal with my arythmia. Have been on 200mg prior to cardioversion and then changed to 400mg after arythmia continued post cardioversion. The cardio hopes to get me off the amiodorone within the next months, or at least to maintenance of 200mg.

I do not have a stethoscope yet, but reading one of your earlier responses to a heart rate thread, where you recommended a stethoscope, I ordered one - just waiting for delivery sometime this week.

Thanks again

Here is what I came up with on Google

"Joseph Sexton was mowing the lawn when it first kicked in. Lightheaded, the Anacortes, Washington native reached for his wrist to feel his pulse. His heart was beating very fast - "like a drum roll." That was Joe's first experience with atrial fibrillation."

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/afic/touching_lives.htm

That's what I was thinking, but being Mercia's had it before, I figured it would be identified if so. Maybe not. My buddy Terry goes into afib a lot and sometimes he doesn't know it.

Yeah, Joe had chronic afib and never knew when he had it or not. I don't think his was extremely rapid, because I watched his monitors all the time while he was in the hospital. But I would imagine if it was rapid, you would be very uncomfortable.

I can tell you from my long experience with paroxysmal AF, that when the rate is rapid it is a VERY uncomfortable feeling. I always knew when my heart went from sinus to AF.
But I have heard that lots of people don't know that they are in AF, like Ross said about his friend.

Bridgette:)

just a quick update

just a quick update

Got the results from the 24 hr Halter monitor, which showed some PACs and PVCs otherwise things look great.

Al,
I did get my stethoscope and this is what my heart beat sounds like - a very loud lub or two lubs (close together) then softer dub/dub/dub. My pulse at my wrist only has the one lub.
Does this mean the other beats are PACs or PVCs or something else?

Currently slowly being weaned of the amiodorone, now on 200mg for maintenance only.

Not sure if this is already known to the vr members, but I found an interesting website that provides samples of diffirent arrhythmias -See http://www.blaufuss.org/
and more sites if you google "heart sounds".

So far still a-fib free since my cardioversion on Aug 14th. :)

It is Very Common for patients to have all sorts of arrhythmias in the first few months post op. Hopefully they will settle down soon.

Anytime you hear something new and different, it would be good to get an EKG or Holter Monitor recording (not Halter)

Best wishes!

Thanks

Thanks

Al,

It is easy to forget that it will take some time for the heart to heal, after OHS, when you are in the middle of worrying. So thanks for your feedback.

I don't know if this is the same thing as you are experiencing but occasionally after my valve replacement I would have brief racing beats and a sharp cough could stop it for me. I also felt that I didn't experience it nearly as much when I exercised regularly, thus keeping the muscle of my heart in better shape.

Hi Mercia,

Just wanted to add some information that may be helpful to you.

I have A-fib and A-flutter. Sometimes my heart gets locked into a steady fast rate of 300 beats a min, and other times, it is irrregular as you mentioned.

The last time that it did this, and would not get back to a normal rthymn, was over a year ago. I had to get cardioverted, zapped with the paddles.
My cardiolgist changed my dose of meds and I have not had an major issue since, Although, sometimes I can still feel that it is trying to go off again. BUT... it hasn't. This is what my doc did.

My cardiologist added Digitek to my daily meds 0.25 MG, and also increased my Atenolol to 50Mg in the morning, and an additional 50Mg in the evening. I also take Magnesium to help.

He also suggested Ablation (sp) It seems to have a good success percentage.
And also another drug called Sotalol instead of the Atenolol and Digitek. I have not done either of these alternates... yet.

As you say, Amiodorone is usually a "Last Resort" drug. My cardiologist said the side effects of this drug are far worse than what it cures if used as a long term maintenance drug.

Good luck.. I hope get past this. A-fib and A-flutter surely make one feel uncomfortable at times.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I am familiar with digitek (digoxin) - took that before and after MVR to control my a-fib.

Susan, I have increased my exercise routine after reading some of the posts. I am working out 5 days a week for at least 30 min on an elliptical(spelling?) and stationary bike, keeping my heart rate at about 120bpm to 130bpm which should be OK for my age(55).
I always feel so much better after exercise than what I feel like, the rest of the day and evening - not sure why.

...Susan, I have increased my exercise routine after reading some of the posts. I am working out 5 days a week for at least 30 min on an elliptical(spelling?) and stationary bike, keeping my heart rate at about 120bpm to 130bpm which should be OK for my age(55).
I always feel so much better after exercise than what I feel like, the rest of the day and evening - not sure why.
I think if I were you I would clear exercise and/or increased exercise with my cardio, Mercia, if I had your symptoms and under the circumstances, just to be sure. Most of us can just give you our personal experiences and we're really all as different as snowflakes :) .

[Recently I've had trouble with an extraordinary number of PVCs in a day. My cardio did a blood test and said my minerals were too low (potassium and magnesium) but even increasing them didn't completely fix the situation. I think a number of things may be contributing to the trouble in my situation but I'm really not certain. I just went on a heavy duty antibiotic to clear up a new bronchitis issue and the PVCs seem to have reduced dramatically so I'm even more puzzled now.]

Anyway, I hope you are/will be feeling much better. Take care :) .

I get weird rhythms as well, mostly when I am resting or not moving. Never notice anything when I am working or exercising. It seem to only appear once the heart slows.

Latest posts

Back