Weight loss after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeuxofUs

How many of you lost weight after surgery? If so, how much? Why, because of the stress, lack of appetite, shock to the body?

Well, I've lost 20 lbs, but I gained 25 lbs immediately after the surgery in fluids, so still a net gain here, 10 months later. While amounts vary, an immediate weight gain is pretty typical I think. I was in the best shape of my life prior to surgery. I wasn't quite a marshmallow man afterwards, but parts of my body (particularly feet) sure felt like it. Post op meds take a bulk of the weight off pretty fast, lack of appetite probably helps a little too. Another recent thread discusses beta blockers, metabolism, and exercise...suggesting a reduced calorie burning potential compared to pre-surgery. I don't know for sure if that explains my 5 lb weight gain, but possibly, since I'm generally back to normal exercise, diet, etc.

Hi. I'm five months post-surgery. I'm 154cm (about 5ft1) and weighed about 52kg when I went into surgery. I put on seven kg during surgery/ICU (fluid). I was about 54kg when I left hospital. During the next few weeks I dropped down to about 49kg, mainly because I just wasn't interested in eating much. Nothing had much of a taste and I couldn't be bothered. I had a reasonably decent meal each night but didn't snack or drink wine (which I usually do) for about a month. And I was walking between 20 and 40 minutes a day.
Now, I'm well and truly back on a normal food (wine and chocolate included!) and my exercise is not as exact - I try and do four walks a week but could do better (it's been a cold winter in Melbourne). I'm about 52kg and pretty happy with that. Although I did like the 'Gosh, you look so slim' comments a few weeks after hospital!!!

Hay DeuxofUs
Weight loss after my op was very rapid 6kg in six days..I went in at 90ks after surgery was 96kgs which is all normal..Eight days in hospital and i was back to 90kgs
But the following week after eating normal, sleeping normal. I lost 6kgs, my gp was not concerned, I think it's your body healing itself with some stress in there for good measure, I wasn't walking a heap in the first week at home so I couldn't put it down to doing to much, personaly i think your body is in the healing stage and is using all it can get hold of, All is getting back to normal now in Eight weeks i've put on 4 kgs which is right on the money for me.
Dappa
from Downunder

I entered surgery at 5'8" and 235 lbs...fat by any measure. 3 weeks post-op was at 185 lbs since absolutely nothing I ate tasted good - I just had no interest in eating. Coupled with the Lasix I stayed at 185-190 to about the 10 week point...then my appetite came roaring back and I have been at 195 ever since. My surgeon had told me that the aortic "plumbing" I now have is meant optimally for someone at 170 lbs. I have been using my Water Rower for the past 2 weeks (up to 30 minutes as of this morning!) and have been slowly weaning myself from the sugary, carb loaded snacks to alternates that are more in line with getting down to 170(ish). It has been interesting at work...I see a lot of people daily in the Break Room and just walking to and from meetings, so I know a lot of folks in a "How are ya?" kind of way. Most are unaware of my OHS. I have had 4 people come up to me and ask what my weight loss secret is...lol. One lady, when I told her it was easy-peasy and that all she needed to do was have OHS responded with a "Ah, hell, No!". Made me chuckle all day long.
In answer to your question, my main reason for weight loss was simply because the drug combo I was initially on somehow altered my taste buds and made even my favorite foods taste like tin, thus I just didn't eat. Once you go a few days of not eating, the stomach shrinks and hunger pangs seem to fade...which helps in making the need to eat not so much at the forefront of your day. I'm sure everybody is different, but I must say that OHS was the most effective - albeit extreme - method of weight loss I have ever employed :)

I was bloated from all the fluid and was a good 15 pounds heavier than when I went in for surgery ... It came off quickly and I did not really have a net gain or loss ... I think most peeps have fluid gain right after surgery...

I entered surgery at 5'8" and 235 lbs...fat by any measure. 3 weeks post-op was at 185 lbs since absolutely nothing I ate tasted good - I just had no interest in eating. Coupled with the Lasix I stayed at 185-190 to about the 10 week point...then my appetite came roaring back and I have been at 195 ever since. My surgeon had told me that the aortic "plumbing" I now have is meant optimally for someone at 170 lbs. I have been using my Water Rower for the past 2 weeks (up to 30 minutes as of this morning!) and have been slowly weaning myself from the sugary, carb loaded snacks to alternates that are more in line with getting down to 170(ish). It has been interesting at work...I see a lot of people daily in the Break Room and just walking to and from meetings, so I know a lot of folks in a "How are ya?" kind of way. Most are unaware of my OHS. I have had 4 people come up to me and ask what my weight loss secret is...lol. One lady, when I told her it was easy-peasy and that all she needed to do was have OHS responded with a "Ah, hell, No!". Made me chuckle all day long.
In answer to your question, my main reason for weight loss was simply because the drug combo I was initially on somehow altered my taste buds and made even my favorite foods taste like tin, thus I just didn't eat. Once you go a few days of not eating, the stomach shrinks and hunger pangs seem to fade...which helps in making the need to eat not so much at the forefront of your day. I'm sure everybody is different, but I must say that OHS was the most effective - albeit extreme - method of weight loss I have ever employed :)

LOL!! That's funny.. what's your secret... OHS... That made me chuckle....

I was hoping for the added benefit of reduced appetite weight loss after surgery, but alas that was not my experience.

I gained about 15 lbs the first few weeks from fluid retention. BUt that went away.
The appetite suppression from the anesthesia only lasted about 1 week.

I"m now trying to lose weight the old fashion way through will power and lifestyle change.

M6bqc6

M6bqc6

Gaining weight after all of this is sooooo disappointing. I know drinking real Coke Cola instead of diet plays a big part of it, My Cardio said NO diet pop. I also have switched to an electronic cigarette instead of real Cigarettes and that probably is part of it, but I hate it. I am 4 and a half months out and between working all day as a rehab therapist and cardiac rehab 2 times a week, I am tired, I need to count my Weight Watcher points more closely. A Coke is 4 points!!!!!

I was reading that weight loss after surgery is common. In my case, all I can say is "fat chance."

After surgery I treated myself to a case of Blue Moon Beer (I drank one almost every night) and re-discovered the desert menu.

Net result, even after the fluids were gone, I gained almost 20 pounds.

Its been real hard getting that back off, but I am at least half way there.

Lost 8 pounds over first two weeks - reduced appetite, nausea etc. Put it all back despite increased excercise - need for treats to compensate for being stuck in the house not driving. Cardiac Rehab dietician tells me I must cut down tea, coffee and saturated fats so my next diet diary may have to be a work of fiction.

Like "Just Ask," I lost a little weight. I went into the hospital at about 170 lbs.(77.1 kg) and left 8 weeks later at about 128 lbs. (58 kg).
I'm just under 6 ft. (182.88 cm), so this was not terribly healthy, but that is what a gastric tube in lieu of feeding or liquids by mouth will do to you. Miraculously, I can again eat food and I'm back to my normal weight (took almost a year) and all is well. Blame it on poor monitoring, knowledge and control of my INR by doctor's who meant well, but had little knowledge of Warfarin.

I am 3 weeks post op. I am 5'6" Went in at 166 lbs.(fat for my height) I lost quite a bit in the first 3 weeks (as low as 152lbs.) and stable now at 156 lbs. I had no interest in eating any of my favorite foods up until yesterday. I hope I don't put on any more weight. Along the way, I kicked off my coffee habit (dont like the tast anymore) and my addiction to sweet stuff esp. chocolate. Yes I agree. OHS may be the silver bullet for weight loss. lol!

The stomach doesn't actually shrink when you stop eating much; it just feels like it.

My surgeon has promised me that I would be 100 percent back to what I was before the stenosis started affecting me. If that's the case, the weight loss will take care of itself.

I lost 56 pounds when I had endocarditis, a very effective way of losing weight but not really recommended. I have regained half of it as that was muscle from my legs and butocks. I would like to lose the weight again, but not that way.

I dropped 13 pounds in about 2 weeks, and I was fit and lean to start with, so i had very little fat to lose. I took a picture at week 2 and I looked like a skeleton. It was disconcerting - for several months I was very self-conscious about how thin I got.

I am 5'9" and weighed 177 when I found out I needed surgery. I have chicken legs according to my wife and skinny arms, so I did have a bit of a beer gut and fuller face.
I think was down to about 170 or a little less by the time I actually had the surgery, I think the stress reduced my appetite. Sometime post-surgery I got as low as 154 (not sure exactly what I weighed the day I left the hospital, I was only in three days and this was back in 2004.) In the few weeks after surgery I didn't have much of an appetite and was doing the recommended walking, so I think this attributed to the weight loss.
For the first few years I stayed around 157-158, and over the last few I have been around 160-163.
My cardiologist stresses walking every day, but I have been slacking and only doing it about 2-3 times a week. I don't know if it has anything to do with the surgery or not, but after eating smaller portions for a while I found that I was able to continue smaller portions and still feel full. For instance, I used to eat a footlong sub, now I get by on a 6 inch, and I never get a second plate of food at the dinner table.
I need get walking almost every day, so I can get down below 160 again; I hate it when my cardiologist points out that I put on a little weight since my last visit!

Before surgery , i had gained too much , mainly due to eating wrong and not exercising , tho exercising was exhausting and i rarely did it. so... going into surgery i weighed 242.. now 9 weeks later i weigh 210 . I am 6 ft tall . After surgery , the cocktail of drugs i was on had me so nauseaus that i could not eat and food held not interest for me at all . So i am glad to have lost the weight and plan on keeping it off . maybe even lose another 20 .. that would be nice.
margie

I, too, rode the weight control roller-coaster. I went into surgery at 5'8" tall and about 160 lbs. After surgery, once I got home, I weighed around 152 lbs. -- couldn't stand any foods, just ate to live. Then came the fluid and I became that Michelin Tire man for a while, until my lasix dosage was increased. Once that did its job and was discontinued, I have gradually progressed back to my pre-surgery weight of right around 160 lbs., plus or minus one or so, depending upon sodium intake. So, I would summarize my experience as "up and down, back to where I started."

I lost about 20 lbs after surgery, and it has stayed off to this point. I think this is my new plateau now, that I need to start working to drop down from.

Latest posts

Back