weight lifting after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When did Arnold have a Ross proceedure? The only regerences I have found are to the 1997 valve replacement.

Hotrod
You are IMO better off. Like you in my younger days I would bench over 400 my dead lift was only limited by my hand strength. If you could ballance a house on my sholders I could squat with it there. I believe my arthritus is at least in part due to this.

Well I survived a repair of the mitral valve, and if the leaking stays at zero, I will start a very light routine after 8 weeks. I plan to start with arms and shoulders, and leave the core routines for much later. I've always believed in a progressive routine, that starts after a conditioning phase. I don't think I'll see visible improvement until about a year from now.

Harry....when OSU is finished thrashing Michigan again this year should be about the same time that your gonna be going 1000 mph. Wait and see !

Harry....when OSU is finished thrashing Michigan again this year should be about the same time that your gonna be going 1000 mph. Wait and see !

Ha ha, we'll have to see on that one. I haven't even looked into this years lineup. I remember when I was younger, and we played OSU, man if you guys came here to play at out home, you really got it hard. Aren't we up in the W dept over the years?

It's kinda hard for me to not like you Ohio people, when they did such a good job on my OHS, and I actually work there from time to time. I just take off my M hat when I go to Columbus.. I'm too old to be scrappin with a 20 year old. lol

Weightlifting after AVR

Weightlifting after AVR

I am 59 and had my first AVR in March 2008, which failed from bacterial infection and I underwent a redo in July, 2008. I began walking 2-3 miles within 2 weeks after surgery and light weights within 2 months post-surgery. I used hammer strength equipment to avoid injury to my sternum. At 6 months I was using all the conventional exersizes and equipment. I have worked out since I was 16 yoa. When I was being dicharged from Stanford, the surgeon told me not to lift more then 25# dumbbells. I told him that Arnold Swarzenneger certainly didn't follow that regime. He said that I wasn't Arnold. I then told him that my genetics and length of time doing strength training put me in the same category, although I never used steroids. After a followup physical with my GP, he informed me that I have absolutely no limitations. Within 2 years, I was up to my pre-surgery weight of 185# with 12% bf and 95% of my 1 rep maximums on all of my different exersizes. I don't have the intensity that I had at 52 yoa, but I am still stronger and have a better physique then most of the guys in their 30's. Don't be afraid of the weights. I am a little morerelaxed about my workouts, though because a brush with death gives perspective as to whats important in life. I used to worry about losing size and strength and missing a workout. With 40 years of working out, maintaining my strength and fitness doesn't take the effort that I used before my AVR. One thing I learned after 4 months in the hospital and rehab is that doctors know very little about nutrition and fitness. They had me on the American Heart Diet for 4 months and i lost 50 pounds the 1st month, due to average protein of 50grams per day. Having used 1 gram per pound pre-hospitalization, my body ate the muscle until I was at 149 pounds. The hospital paniced and put in a feed tube which gradually increased my weight. I left the rehab in late July at 165 pounds and was back to my original 185 at month 4 post-surgery. The dietician was directed to counsel me on diet before discharge and I declined. I told her that I arrived at te hospital with a total cholesterol of 160 and was leaving at 200. You people would have killed me! If you're wonderig about the long stint, it was because I had bacterial endocarditis which spread to my brain causing a stroke on top of the heart valve surgery. 3 surgeries in 4 months; Quite a year to forget, eh? Cheers, David

I am almost 7 weeks out and my cardio has allowed me to start weight training again. Light weights. I have lifted my entire life.
Has anyone weight lifted after surgery and how long after surgery did you begin?
How much weight do you use??
how long do you lift for in one excercise session??
I started today with 20 bs did about 4 excercises about 20 minutes

Latest posts

Back