Weight Flunctuations and AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivetopless

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi, folks-
Having been a yo-yo dieter my whole life (working on that!), I wondered if anyone had experience with the effects of changes in weight after a mechanical valve replacment.

By gaining or losing weight after AVR, if the performance or fit of the valve affected?

Obviously, I understand the ideal situation is to maintain a normal body weight. But what if you are overweight at the time of your surgery and then lose weight? Is that an issue with AVR?

Thanks.

I'll be interested to see the responses on this one. I gained 25 pounds shortly after my surgery and can't seem to get it off though I haven't gained any more.

I like Alistair would be curious. I also had been a yo-yo dieter. Finally Jan 2009 decided enough was enough. Have changed the way I view food. (eat to live, not live to eat). I have been exercising consistently at least 4-5 times per week and so far have lost 25 pounds. My heart doesn't feel under any added stress, and I shall see what my cardiologist has to say when I go in for my first year post surgery check-up. So hopefully others will chime in. :)

Diet and exercise are always beneficial. From what I understand, the valve annulus isn't necessarily dependent on body weight. I'd be interested to hear what the cardio says as well. In fact, since before embarking on weight loss and exercise programs everyone should always clear the activity with their family physician, you could ask the doctor at that appointment. A good one will find the answer if they don't have it at their fingertips. :)

I lost about 10 lbs after surgery and gained them back with some extras unfortunately after the return of my appetite and not moving enough.

As for your question, I and hubby analyzed weight effect on mechanical valves. The result was (although the valve was chosen according to my weight at the time of surgery), the more you lose, the better the valve will function.

Congratulations, Chris. I am impressed and I hope one day I shall report a loss of 25 lbs.

:)

You can wait until you get an opinion from a cardiologist but Id be surprised if you were told anything besides, lose the weight. It''ll ease the load on your heart and help your body in countless ways. Your valve will love you for it.

My weight has fluctuated by about 30 pounds since my surgery. I'm now toward the bottom end. Other than feeling better when I'm lighter, I've never noticed a difference in my heart function. Does your valve size really change with weight? I wouldn't think so.

I have been up and down and up and down .... valve works fine at either pant size:rolleyes: ... going down is better and staying down is even better ... by the by, my dosage of warfarin does not seem to be weight dependant.

Since surgery Ive noticed no difference in weight gaining patterns:

Wg = FKal in - EKal out, ie. my weight gain is directly proportional to food intake and exersize output. When I reach my top limit I find South Beach helps me get back to better fitting cloths and a healthier eating habit. The cycle never ends.

Good luck

Since my surgery I've stayed within 2lbs of my before surgery weight, but it now has been over 4 months and I still get fit in any of the pants that I could wear before. My doctor says to give it time. Wondering if anyone else experienced this?

Hi, folks-
Having been a yo-yo dieter my whole life (working on that!), I wondered if anyone had experience with the effects of changes in weight after a mechanical valve replacment.

By gaining or losing weight after AVR, if the performance or fit of the valve affected?

Obviously, I understand the ideal situation is to maintain a normal body weight. But what if you are overweight at the time of your surgery and then lose weight? Is that an issue with AVR?

Thanks.

Well i don't know what happened to me ,my cardio believes it is the
drug amiodarone i was on after surgery in Jan cus i went in 190 lbs:eek:
3o some was dropped in fluid immediately after surgery and i was given the amiodarone,prior to 11 days arriving home.

Food,drink was the worst,throwing up was my aim,couldnot keep a thing down for months.I lived on ice and Freddies jello and gingerale she kept sending me with concern through her ups guy that i missed meeting,but hubby met him;) K im off track for new post:)sorry:p

So anyhow went off the amiodarone beginning of april and long story short i am now at 132 lbs i shoulda been at 168.heavier side im used to.
I'm 5'1 and never really had a weight distribution like this but i have chf and always been a problem with fluid in my lower legs but over 30 lbs water (wow)

surgery was Jan 22nd ,put on amiodarone few days after cardio vacs x3
and off the drug which i believe my cardio says takes forever to get outta my system like 2 months or longer.
I have not since surgery or be it the drug (whatever) had an appetite i have to force a little bit throughout the day,or i get really weak and dizzy.
I don't know why im never hungry and my cardio believes it's a reaction to amiodarone.He was very upset when he found out the surgeon gave me it.
But thats my weight story from surgery and 2 months of it was throwing up bile. Not a good place to be at.

I still one day hope and pray i can enjoy the aroma of food and taste again.

Coffee i miss i was avid drinker working at police station i must confess
a pot a day,now i miss it cus if it hits my lips just the taste i throw up,but the smell of coffee is awsome where before it wasnot,so maybe in time i can again tolerate it as i once did,my hubby perks coffee in the drip pot,the aroma killed me,i have forced to try it again and i throw up.

Alot of food and drinks work like this on me since Jan,i luv ice and will chew a bag of it in 1 day,if i allowed ice only i'd forget to eat food.

I cook,everything,make meals,freeze pies,cookies all kinds of stuff and it's good just i have no appetite yet since surgery.

zipper2 (DEB)

I have a homograft valve and gained about 15 pounds after surgery . Lost it all after 3 months. My cardio did say the thinner you are the less stress it puts on the valve. I had gained about 13 pounds the year before surgery but I believe it was due to hormones and pigging out all the time and not being able to play raquetball as hard or often as I did the years before . I was an avid and competive racquetball player, tornaments, etc. and playing 3-4 times a week for 23 years. Played for 7 years after my heart surgery at a lower level so the weight thing was a combination of factors. I feel alot better even if I am 5 pounds lighter. It seems harder to lose weight now,also alot of my friends are having the same problems and they do not have heart problems. It is always better to be thinner from any cardiac standpoint,BP, etc. Weight does not affect the valve size but MAY slightly efffect the longevity of tissue or bovine, homografts.

Flowergal

Tomorrow is my one year anniversary for my AVR, and I had an echo and follow-up with my cardiologist today. I asked him if the blood pressure meds could account for my 12 pound weight gain and he said he didn't think so. I had lost 30 pounds before finding out I had a valve problem and was in great shape when I had my post-haste surgery, so gaining 12 back is still a net loss of 18, but I wanted to blame the 12 pounds on somebody. What I probably really need to do is abolish all snacking and buckle down for a month or two with exercise and watching what I eat.

Weight Loss

Weight Loss

I lost a bunch of weight following AVR surgery. Food just didn't taste good and I had to force myself to eat. If memory serves me correctly, I lost around 25 pounds.

The weight I lost eventually came back; I've never been over weight so I just returned to normal.

The one major change I made following surgery is to maintain a more active lifestyle to keep my metabolic rate higher and keep my heart in decent shape. This said, I didn't transform into an exercise junkie following surgery. What did make an impact upon me was seeing others in my cardiac rehab class quit and drop out. Many of these folks will be repeat business for cardiologists and surgeons.

The on again, off again diet thing seem pretty much the norm for a lot of people I know. I do try to eat better now than I did before AVR surgery. I think a key element is developing the mindset for a lifestyle change and sticking with it. Unfortunately, many find that difficult to do.

-Philip

I had always been fit and muscular before surgery. Right after surgery, I lost 10 lbs. Once I got my appetite back, I started gaining, even with a pretty agressive exercise routine. I am now about 15 lbs over my weight before the surgery, even though I still exercise. I can attribute a SMALL part to age. The rest I attribute to medicines (metaprolol) and/or the surgery screwing up my metabolism.

From diagnosis to surgery(2 weeks) I lost about 10 pounds. I attribute that to lack of appetite. Post surgery I lost another 15 pounds over about 6 weeks. Once I became more mobile I put that 15 pounds back on and that is where I seem to have leveled off. I'm trying to get back down to where I was at my low point (185 lbs) through diet and exercise but Friday night Mexican with a few beers and Sunday afternoon golf with a few more beers seems to be hampering my efforts :)

Thanks, everyone.
As I read these posts it seems like most who struggle are struggling with weight he same as they did before surgery. It makes sense that your valve size wouldn't change with your weight but is more likely sized to your heart size rather than your body weight, so thanks for that comment. Obviously, the stress on your heart would change with change in weight whether your were have a VR or not.

BTW-Happy to report 10 lbs gone thanks to Weight Watchers and more walking (breathlessly). Don't know if I can lose it all before surgery but every little bit will help.

Latest posts

Back