Warfarin effect on exercise capacity?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtread

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Has anyone ever seen any studies that show whether Warfarin has any effect on exercise capapcity? I'm talking about a serious study that runs for a least several weeks, if not longer, and includes folks that are on Warfarin as well as folks that are not on Warfarin, as well as folks on placebo. The study should include information about whether Warfarin has any effect on a person's exercise capacity; e.g., VO2 Max, strength, endurance, etc. The longer the study runs the better, as many folks on Warfarin are on it for life.

I searched and could not find anything other than a couple of off-hand comments that Warfarin has no effect on exercise capability, with no substantiation of this.

Thanks

Honestly, I don't think a study has ever been done because blocking vit k uptake has little to do with excercise stamina.

Dan,

I doubt that there are any studies on this. Remember that many of us were in very bad shape before this life saving surgery, so most of us will tell you there's no impact at all. Like Cooker says, I feel so much better that my capacity for exercise is much better.

Warfarin has been in use for over 50 years. Many times by very active people. I believe that all you're going to get on this is anecdotal evidence, not double blind scientific studies.

My own personal experience was that once my poor leaky, stiff valve was replaced...I felt like Superman!!

Many months before my surgery, when my family doctor knew I preferred the mechanical valve but was hesitant about the Coumadin, he recommended that I try coumadin for 12 days and see if it affected me in any way. To my surprise, as of the third day being on it and up to two weeks, I felt better energy than any time before!! Is this in my head:NO. Is it a con-incidence: maybe. You now analyze.
But of course, I was more encouraged after having chatted with Bina and cooker and other angels on this website a few days before my surgery. Thanks again for calming my fears about Coumadin.

Honestly, I don't think a study has ever been done because blocking vit k uptake has little to do with excercise stamina.

Ross, I totally agree that Vit K uptake has little to do with exercise, but what about the blood being thinner and running better in our veins:confused: Does this make sense?--!!:)

I think if there was any effect it would have been proven and documented by now.

Bina, what if they never thought of it except after they had met people like me:D:D

It makes me run faster and jump higher:p ... or maybe it's just the fact that I feel better since surgery:D
Cooker, you are so funny. It is always amusing to read you posts, the seriousness envelopped with great sense of humor:cool:

Remember that many of us were in very bad shape before this life saving surgery, QUOTE]
Kristy, I totally agree the biggest factor in improving our health is the surgery. Yes indeed. But I was amazed how I felt on Coumadin before the surgery!!

Eva says:
I totally agree that Vit K uptake has little to do with exercise, but what about the blood being thinner and running better in our veins:confused: Does this make sense?--!!:)

Eva,

Remember, Coumadin/warfarin does NOT "thin" your blood. It causes one of the clotting factors to work slower. Someone on anticoagulation therapy has the same "thickness" of blood. It's not like coumadin=water blood & no coumadin=karo syrup blood...no it's all the same viscosity.

So, I can't explain "why" you felt better on coumadin before your surgery.

Simple answer, she's a member here and that alone makes her weird like the rest of us. :D

Your blood is NOT THINNED. It's just as Christy pointed out. People have got to stop saying "Blood thinner" It is an anticoagulant.

OK. I give in quickly, guys:D I agree. Did I get weird since I joined, or did I join because I am weird:D As long as I am still welcomed in the Group, I am happy.;) You (we) are all awsome!!

Latest posts

Back