Warfarin and The Risk of Being In A Car Accident

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al,

When I think of a car accident while on warfarin, I am more concerned about internal bleeding than external bleeding. Is it correct to assume that internal bleeding is just as much a concern (whether in a car accident or not), if not more, than external bleeding while on warfarin?

It seems that internal bleeding is harder to detect or know it is happening than external thus leading to more complicated outcomes. Is that correct?

Too bad about the Broncos, but the better team won.

Mile High

<< I would have to conclude that taking warfarin might increase your chances of being killed in a car crash by a slight amount, but not enough that you need to put it high on your list of things to worry about. >>

And I can't think what good "worrying" would do you anyway. What are you going to do? Stop driving cars or riding in them?

If you're really that worried you shouldn't take public transportation either, at least not buses.

What you CAN do: always wear your seat belt; register with MedicAlert; and don't forget your bracelet or pendant.

Yes, people die from crushing injuries in car accidents but my guess is that many of them would have died whether they took warfarin or not.

You have now opened the door for the miraculous stories of how people would have died if they had been wearing seat belts.

One of the things they told my husband was, if he was in a car accident and his seatbelt tightened and smooshed (yes, they used that word) his abdomen, to demand to be taken to the ER due to the possibility of internal bleeding. My answer to the nurse who said this was, "well, wouldn't this apply to anyone who got "smooshed" hard enough by their seatbelt?" She didn't appreciate my participation in the conversation.

Mile High - there's always next year! Guess I had better start saving money to pay for our season tickets. Wonder if they'll go up due to the Broncos having the best season in five years???

One good thing about being on coumadin when you're in an accident: you get a lot of attention very quickly. My neighbor was injured a bit in an accident - cut his arm. He told the paramedics he's on coumadin - he was at the hospital in a flash and being seen pronto. So I guess that's a plus . . .

I think that the Broncos peaked this year. Kubiak left and Shanahan is thinking about hiring the offensive coordinator that the Jets fired. The Jets were the second-worst team in the NFL.

Al - I know what you mean. Kubiak leaving - he made the coaching team the success that it's always been. But, I'm surprised we kept him as long as we did.

Medic Alert Bracelet for an emergency like this??

Medic Alert Bracelet for an emergency like this??

This is a good time to take a poll. Who wears a medic alert bracelet in case they're in a car accident and unconscious to alert the paramedic they're on coumadin?

I hate wearing jewelry and would like to wear an alert (tatoo??) but the bracelets and necklaces I've seen are obnoxious. Any suggestions for another way to wear some ID about coumadin??

Patty

I also don't care much for wearing a bracelet (or watches or "stuff"). I have a card in my wallet, but reading the recent posts on the topic, I think I'm going to get the bracelet (maybe necklace) and make my wife happy (she's so easy to please). Knowing me as I do, if I wear it while driving only, it'll be a big step. Probably will hang it from the rearview mirror to keep remininding me to put it on, like wearing the seat belt, just a car thing.

I had never worn bracelets before i got the one i have now. My watch is on my left wrist, so i put the bracelet on my right wrist, which is my writing hand. It has been an adjustment (I have had it for about 3 years). I am used to it now and think it is invaluable to have. There are necklaces also. Mine is from Medic Alert.

I hope the superbowl is a competitive game, that is all i care about.

Mile High

Patty,

There are many options for bracelets and some are very nice looking. I have one that is stainless steel with a "gold" background to the Medic Alert name/symbol. Since I wear a stainless/gold watch, the bracelet works very well with the watch. You can also get silver or gold bracelets if you want to pay more.

Jeff,

I work at a fire department and the paramedics ALWAYS look for bracelets or necklaces. They can't always find wallets to look for cards.

The men who were with my husband when he had a stroke and was unconscious told me that the paramedics looked for his medic alert necklace as soon as they laid hands on him. Every time that Al has been transported by ambulance, even when I was present, the emergency folks have checked his medic alert necklace. Al hates jewelry and probably would not wear the medic alert except for the threats made by his doctor and his spouse. It does save lives. He has been wearing his under his shirt for more than 15 years. I never notice it and nobody has ever commented on it.
Blanche
"To dream is to understand the power of faith and to trust in the capacity of a believing heart." Flavia

I have worn my medic alert bracelet for 24 years now...ever since going on the Coumadin. The doctors basically told me I had to wear it. Medic Alert has been a really good company, in my opinion. About five years ago, I upgraded to a 14kt. gold bracelet. My husband got it for me for my birthday. I figured that if I was going to have to wear one for the rest of my life, and we were at the point that we could afford the gold, then why not get one that looked like a piece of jewelry. I'm not too sure about just having info in your wallet. Anyway, if someone tried to dig through my purse to find my wallet, and then had to dig through the wallet to find info on my heart condition, then THEY may be in need of an ambulance. Most of the ladies will probably know what I'm talking about. My husband refuses to enter my purse.:eek: LINDA

Nathan wears a medical alert necklace as the braclet would interfere with his job. I was suprised at how many very nice, attractive medical alerts that now have available. Nathan chose the tradition style for now, but I forgot to put his blood type on his necklace. I am going to order him another in the near future with that info as well. I also encourage him to wear it outside his clothing, especially when doing his dangerous activites (snowmobiling, ATV, motorcycle), as long as it doesn't get in the way.

The blood type is not necessary. They now use IV fluids to replace volume until reaching the hospital and after that all blood is typed and crossmatched before it is given. Mismatched blood can be fatal. Nobody wants to take that chance.

MedicAlert bracelet

MedicAlert bracelet

I wear a 9ct gold bracelet on my right wrist. My only real complaint is that I like to wear a decorative bracelet at times and it will probably look daft with the MedicAlert one, I won't change wrists with it as it would irritate me to see it with my watch.

Once I received my bracelet I felt more relaxed knowing that if I have a medical emergency and cannot tell anyone my medical history, it will be picked up quickly.

OK OK I get the message

OK OK I get the message

Gee, OK points taken. I rarely can find my own wallet, no chance of anyone finding mine w/ my valve and coumadin card in it in an emergency.

I still like the tatoo idea, know anyone who's tried that?

Thanks for all the positive comments about the MedicAlert jewelry, I'll need to just find a way.

Patty

Hi and I wear an ID bracelet. I make beaded jewlery and would be happy to make ANYONE here a nice beaded strap to attach to your tag. Its more for the ladies as it looks like a beautiful beaded bracelet and the tag hides under your writst. I make them with fine silver from Bali and would send you one FREE if you just email me your wrist size and an address to send it to. Its my way of giving back to this site. This applies to any one who would like one. I can make them manley looking too for the stud muffins in the group. Well food for thought!!! Have a tickin day!

afraidofsurgery said:
This is a good time to take a poll. Who wears a medic alert bracelet in case they're in a car accident and unconscious to alert the paramedic they're on coumadin?

I hate wearing jewelry and would like to wear an alert (tatoo??) but the bracelets and necklaces I've seen are obnoxious. Any suggestions for another way to wear some ID about coumadin??

Patty
:D;);)

Latest posts

Back