warfarin and bleeding

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Fecteau

Hello I am four months post op for aorta valve replacement. Currently on 8 mg warfarin. Last week had 4 episodes of black tarry stools (sorry ) with an upset stomach. Doctor did blood work, hemoglobins came back fine but blood in stools came back positive. Now have to do a endoscopy or something like that. Was wondering if warfarin could be the cause and how dangerous this test is for endocartitis my greatest fear. He also had me on iron supplements but stopped those 10 days before this event. I have a mechanical valve and was just sailing along now this. Is this what is known as a bump in the road or more serious just seems odd right now

I test every two weeks before this now I am once a month my highest reading has been 2.8. The doctor who did the colonoscopy said he lost the polyp in transition somehow go figure.

You can still have bleeding events even if the INR is perfect. It's just much less likely especially if you are younger. More bleeding events do happen over 2.5. Hopefully it is not related to the warfarin but just because you are in range it doesn't mean you things can't happen. Good luck, I've been taking warfarin for the last 3 months and so far so good.

Iron-deficient anemia can cause tarry, black stools that are positive for blood. Iron itself doesn't seem to be a cause. The question should be whether you might be anemic, since you stopped taking the iron supplements ten days before this happened.

I wish you a quick and pain-free procedure and a speedy and easily-remedied diagnosis.

Back