Want to start new exercise routine and lose weight for surgery... Any advice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katesmom1007

I am 31 years old, with BAV and 4.7 ascending aneurysm. I have moderate to severe aortic regurgitation. I have quickly become short of breath very often and am experiencing a lot of PAC's and PVC's, which are very annoying. At my appointment 3 weeks ago my cardio said she doesn't want to send me to the surgeon yet because I need to lose weight. She said losing weight will help with recovery and the out come of the surgery. So, I have totally changed my diet and I am down 15 lbs. I need to lose about 60 more. So exercise is what I need.
My question is..... Is it dangerous to start a cardio routine with my condition? And if I do some weight training should I be afraid of the aneurysm?

I am still fairly new to all of this and it is all still scary. All I want is to feel better and be able to keep up with my kids.

Katesmom: I credit what I call "cardiac pre-hab" with getting through my complex surgery without any heart related post-op problems.
About 3 months before surgery I joined the YMCA and walked 2 miles a day on the track in 32 minutes...this was a minute per lap on the inside track. 6 to 7 days per week.
I was 4.5 CM AA, By the time of surgery it had grown to 4.9. I lost 10 lbs before surgery and along with the gym I got myself mentally and spiritually ready for surgery.
I spoke to a psychologist- this helped me get over my fears about the surgery. I also had a script for some anti-anxiety medication which helped me sleep much better.

Good luck...pre-surgery was far worse than recovery.

Thank you for your response. I agree. Getting ready for surgery is awful. I hate just waiting! I want to just go in and get it over with. I'm ready. Let's do this!

I would agree that walking is really the best exercise. After my surgery I lost quite a bit of weight (about 200# before surgery, 160 now; 36-inch waist down to 29) and the main exercise I did for the weight loss portion of my "rehabilitation" was walking. I would just take my two 15 minute breaks at work and walk one to one-and-a-half miles each break (Nice challenging grades here on Denver's Capitol Hill). Not only did I lose weight, but that was also the time I made the most significant strides in cardiac recovery (reduced heart size and increased LVEF).

Here's to a boring surgery, quick recovery, and a new-and-improved Katesmom on the other side.

Hi Katesmom,

I was in the exact same situation as you. I had a BAV replaced on June 20th and my Ascending Aorta was replaced with a graft.

I have always been pretty active and fit, so I didn't need to lose weight prior to surgery, but what I did want to do was make sure my body was as clean and healthy as possible before surgery to pave the road for the best recovery. Our bodies heal on a cellular level so I focused not just on eliminating bad food, but on eating foods that truly benefit our bodies on a cellular level. Lots of the super foods.....lots of raw greens, sweet potato, chia seeds, walnuts, avocado, tons of fruit, etc. If I ate turkey or chicken, it was organic.

This was just my personal plan, not a suggestion by the doctor, but I did leave the hospital on the 4th day following surgery and thus far, my recovery has been uneventful.

As for exercise, I really like what Hearts of the Sunrise said....get a good walking program and just keep moving. Even on those days where you don't feel like walking, walk.

I would stay away from weights personally.

Good luck, it sounds like you are on the right path. Just remember, the more work you put in now the better prepared you will be when the day comes.

Ryan

Good luck...pre-surgery was far worse than recovery.

TRUTH!

I'm a "floater" in the water, and I like to swim. I found swimming laps to be very relaxing, and it helped me lose about 30 lbs last summer. By the end of the season I was swimming so slow I was being passed by my own wake :) The stretching always felt good, and I slept better on nights that I swam. In the few months before surgery, I rarely if ever took my HR over 110. Not on doctor's advice, but because I felt uncomfortable. If I got tired swimming, I would just roll over and float for a few minutes.

You're on the right track, and it'll be over before you know it!

I would certainly avoid lifting weights - you want to focus moreso on cardio and stamina. The walking is a great way to do this, as others have said. I also used a stationary bike extensively. And you can't say enough about the importance of diet pre and post op. Also remember that focusing on, and improving your breathing becomes a very big part of the recovery, as your lungs and respiratory system come back "on-line" so to speak. So, the more cardio related exercise you do now, the better you'll be post surgery. Deep breathing exercises, meditation etc were very helpful for me. I agree with the other post on swimming - its another great way to improve your cardio.

The waiting certainly felt tougher than the surgery - I found that doing alot of these exercises, diet, meditation activities pre surgery helped lower my stress as the date neared and made me feel like I was doing something pre surgery rather than just "waiting" - it puts you in greater control of the situation.

Also, in my mind, I expected the doctor to be at his best on my day of surgery, so the least I could do was be at my best as well :)

Tony

For someone with a 4.7 aneurysm, light aerobics, such as walking is recommended. Strenuous aerobics and weight training are generally not recommended, though light weights might be ok.

I had an aneurysm and researched this before my surgery. I started a thread on it here: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...se-and-stress-with-Aortic-Aneurysm&highlight=

FWIW, Forks over Knives is a very good book about diet. It is hard not to lose weight eating primarily fruits and vegetables, though for many it can be a radical change and takes time to find new recipes you like.

Latest posts

Back