Vitamin K/Warfarin Offset

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Money

Hi Folks.
Please respond if you have the answer to this. An educated, "there isn't an answer for this" is also welcome if true. Here's my question...

Does anyone know how much Warfarin a given amount of Vitamin K will cancel out?

In other words, if I eat x amount of Vitamin K, how many mg.s of Warfarin are effectively cancelled out. No one ever seems to quantify this on the web or in the cardio office. Does anyone know the answer or if there is an answer? Any help will be appreciated. In case you are wondering, I am asking htis question because I have started to realize how much soy protein is in the foods I eat and I also manage to eat my fair share of salads. I know that dietary consistency is everything here and in some ways my question is a bit moot, but I was just curious. Any thoughts? I hope everyone is having a good 4th.

There is no answer, as far as I can determine, because warfarin/Coumadin is affected by:
1. activity level of the patient. The more active you are, the more warfarin you require.
2. other Rxes and OTCs.
3. physical condition/environment of the patient. Fever, chemotheraphye, excessive heat in the summer, dehydration, etc., can affect metabolism of warfarin.
4. age, ethnic group. People 65+ may be more sensitive to warfarin and may need less; Asians, if my memory is correct, are also more sensitive to the drug.

Everything is a variable. The warfarin you ingest today is reflected in your INR 48-72 hours from now. Don't know how soon vitamin K goes work after consumption. It may not be at the same time!!!!!!!!

I'm sure Al Lodwick will post a reponse.

If you think that you overdid it on salads one day then have corn or beans for your vegetable the next day. Over the course of a week you will come out OK.

Latest posts

Back