Vit. K info

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a list which says that the following are high:

Canola Oil 141
Salad Oils 148
Soybean Oils 193

A second list has much the same numbers.

Jim

Jim

You did not post the second list. It still does not answer the question on the vitiamin K count in vegitable oil. Thanks.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St.Jude's vaLVE

None of the lists I have say anything on Vegetable Oil. Just about every other oil is listed, but not vegatable. I guess it depends on what vegetables are used in the oil?

Sorry I couldn't help...

Caroline the answer is yes, there is Vit K in vegetable oil and we should avoid it. The precise amount is not known because vegetables grown in different parts of the country have different Vit K values. This comes out of the Coumadin Cookbook. The book also recommends sitting oil in sunlight to reduce the overall Vit K content. Does this help you any?

Oils

Oils

Not soy oil, Olive oil and canola oil can sit in sunlight or flourencse light for 24 hours to reduce it's vitamin K, corn oil is low in vitamin K but is not as heart healthy as the other oils.

Mayonaise and store bought salad dressings are high sources of vitamin K too

"The Coumadin Cookbook" and certain web-site have a a lot of info.

Another source that really surprised me was tomato paste having such a high level of Vit. K, what up with that??? since tomatoes are a safe veg/fruit, but I've been trying to avoid any foods with the paste in it just to be on the safe side.

Terry40

Terry:
Would you please say a little more about olive oil and reducing Vitamin K by sunlight. I've never heard of this before. I do know that Vitamin K is a fat soluable vitamin so it is not effected by hear or cold. This very interesting to me. Do you have some soruces that we could read?
Many thanks,
Blanche

Terry, my book (coumadin cookbook) says sunlight or fluorescence for 48 hours.

I think everyone should just buy the Coumadin Cookbook - I ordered mine through Amazon. It had so much more info than most websites.

One of the things I thought most interesting was the grapefruit ban. Coumadin is one more of the medications affected by grapefruit. Oh, I love grapefruit juice . . .

The problem that I have with the Coumadin cookbook is that they seem to take the tiniest fact and turn it into a an eleventh commandment, "Thou shalt not..."

If you are eatiing a heart healthy diet, you should be consuming such a small amount of these oils that it should not make the slightest difference with your warfarin dose.

If you follow the rule about putting the oil out in the sun, then you must do it with every bottle of oil, for the exact same amount of exposure to the sun otherwise you will be introducing a varying amount of vitamin K into your diet.

Why not eat what you want and adjust the warfarin dose around it - much simpler.

As far as grapefruit juice is concerned it is much more of a laboratory phenomenon than a fact that affects people.

Warfarin comes in two chemically identical forms - look at your hands - the same chemically - but far different when you try to put on a glove. Almost all of the active for of warfarin is the laft handed version. For it to have an effect it has to fit onto a receptor which is like a left handed glove. Right handed and left handed warfarin are metabolized by two different enzymes. Grapefruit juice only works on the right handed form. This is the less active form. So it has almost no effect on the INR.

I will bet you any amount of money that you want that you can go to the National Library of Medicine and look at all of their millions of journals going back the last 50 years and you will be able to count on one hand all of the reports of people who suffered harm from drinking grapefruit juice and taking warfarin.

Those are examples of what I mean by them taking the itsy-bitsy-est piece of data and blowing it up to an equal of the 10 Commandments.

What they print is the truth but... (you decide)

To illustrate the difference between right and left handed warfarin, there was one person who had no left-handed receptors. In order to get a therapeutic dose of warfarin, that person had to take 660 mg of warfarin daily. You read it right 66 of the 10 mg tablets every day. That is how little effect right-handed warfarin has.

Latest posts

Back