Very high INR on home test, looking for input

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worktheday

Hello all,

Not sure how quickly someone may reply, but I just took my INR at home (have been on warfarin for 8 years - AVR with mechanical, so very familiar with testing, ranges, etc) and I got a reading of 5.9. In my eight years of having blood tests and doing home tests for my INR, I only remember twice being higher, in the 6's. Both times without incident. To my question, because it is 1:30 am here right now I of course have no doctor to call. However, wondering how concerned I should be? Some may thing after mentioning I am not new to INR testing that I should have a grasp, However as I said it has been rare I've ever been this high. I know enough to skip my dose tonight, and most likely tomorrow (I will be receiving instructions from my clinic with the high report tomorrow anyway), but in the meantime, meaning this evening and until I speak with someone tomorrow, how worried should I be and should I go to the ER?

I know a lot of this is per the individual also. Just as a note, I have no noticeable issues...no bleeding, no bruising, no headaches, etc. I am pretty sure I can attribute this to being foolish the last week and having a few nights where I have drank more than I should, and more than is normal for me. Also I started taking a multivitamin and another vitamin recently. These may have added to it? As I said I'll be discussing with my clinician tomorrow. But in the meantime any input would be greatly appreciated! Should I do anything besides skipping my dose tonight (which I've already done) like gobbling down a bowl of broccoli, or just skip the dose and wait to talk to the doc tomorrow?

Thank you and hope you all are well

J

Hi

I answered on the other thread, but as there was some additional information here I'll respond to that too
worktheday;n849455 said:
I am pretty sure I can attribute this to being foolish the last week and having a few nights where I have drank more than I should, and more than is normal for me.

why would you be sure of that? Were you drinking grapefruit pina-colada? I think its pretty rare for alcohol to effect the INR so much (if my experiences and those I've read about here and what I know of the interactions with warfarin are anything to go by).

but as you go on to say...
Also I started taking a multivitamin and another vitamin recently. These may have added to it?

that may be the point ... depending on what was in there may effect things more than the booze.

as I mentioned earlier are you confident of your INR self test? I agree with Jamey that I'd get another test done (if by a lab even better) and also re-test with your PoC machine (what is it??) to compare the results

Latest posts

Back