Valve Type ID card

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobThatsMe

Hi Gang,

Back when I had my first VR, I got a St Jude Aortic Valve. St. Jude company sent me a Valve ID card, that displayed the date of my surgery, the Surgeon, type of valve, size, etc.

I had that replaced with the On-X on my re-op surgery. I have never received an ID card from On-X.
Have any of you, that have had an On-X valve, ever received a valve ID card from the manufacturer?

Thanks for the feedback,

Rob

I don't have On-X but an Edwards Tissue.
My surgeon has passed away and I needed to replace my damaged card.
I e-mailed Edwards and requested a replacement. I had a near immediate response and new card arrived in my mail box within the week.

I would suspect On-X would provide the same service to one of their patients.
It's a good idea to be sure your specific valve is registered with them, just in case......
Go to their website to find a 'contact us' link.

I had an On-X valve installed on November 9, but did not get an ID card from the hospital or surgeon (at the time I didn't know I should have gotten one). I contacted On-X customer service thru their website with the information on my surgery (hospital, surgeon, date, type of surgery). They contacted me by email the next day and mailed me a card the same day.

I had an Edwards valve implanted last February and still do not have a card from them. I do have a card from Boston Scientific for the pacemaker, but never received one for the valve. Maybe I should email them. . .

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. I shall contact On-X cust Service and see if they can provide one to me.
I'll let ya know how I make out.

Rob

On-X will send you a paper card for you to fill in. They don't do the nice hard plastic with the imprinted info that St. Jude's does.

Edwards sent me a fully printed, all necessary info paper card. I have some laminating sheets in the house and it took me two minutes or less to laminate it.

You can find laminating sheets at Stapes, Wal Mart etc for a few dollars.

I had my surgery 5 weeks ago and I was wondering the same thing. I actually contacted On-X on Tuesday and had to leave a message with customer service (still waiting for a call back).

Maybe, I'll call again.

I had an Ox-xvalve installed in Octobner and received a card after communicatiing with them via email about that and a free shirt -- got both. Very nice people.

Dan

I have both cards for Skyler’s heart valves from On-X (size and serial number, handwritten). They were given to us upon discharge and for some reason his mom didn’t want them.

Does anyone know anything about grafts if they should have a card to go with them too? I know nothing about the specific (or are there specifics) for the ascending aorta graft.

I didn't get a card from them but I got a T shirt, and an On-X carbon ring, with the serial number on the inside, for filling out the above survey. To get the valve serial number, I had the surgeon give me the original packaging.

The On-X ring is pretty cool. It's fairly light, feels like plastic but sounds like ceramic when it bumps a hard object and under a microscope it still looks very smooth.

I got a card from the surgeon at discharge with my On-X info. I haven't contacted On-X, but I would like a t-shirt.

I haven't gotten any card from On-x. I am five months post-op. Seems like I need to call the customer service as well.
-Kumar

I have both cards for Skyler’s heart valves from On-X (size and serial number, handwritten). They were given to us upon discharge and for some reason his mom didn’t want them.

Does anyone know anything about grafts if they should have a card to go with them too? I know nothing about the specific (or are there specifics) for the ascending aorta graft.

Hi Sunshine,

I did get an ID card for my graft. It was sent from the graft material supplier. My surgeon used this to actually build his own graft to attach to the On-X valve. That being said, I was told that this is not important to have this ID. I don't really know for usre, but at least I have it if needed.

btw... I did contact On-X and they are sending me an ID card. They replied very fast to my inquiry.

Rob

For those who received one, what is on it ?
I never got one either so asked and was given the size 23mm and a serial number .
This info was not given to me in card form, it was on a 8x11 sheet of paper.
I may ask for a card but not sure what for other then throw in my drawer, so any other info on it that should
give me reason to pursue a card .

Well just thought of one reason to have card since last post, if it states what the valve is made of.
If the docs wanted you to have an MRI ya could show them material used.

Well just thought of one reason to have card since last post, if it states what the valve is made of.
If the docs wanted you to have an MRI ya could show them material used.

There have been a couple threads on them, but yes, beside the material most say what settings are safe for MRIs. i
ll see if i can find the last discusion on it. They are usually wallet sized
Usually you get one , a temp from the hospital /surgeon before discharge in all those papers,might have the info handwritten, but most valve companies (i thought before all, unless they didnt get the info from the surgeon/hospital, but looks like ON_X doesnt) follow up w/ with a printed card,

here is it , funny you asked about it then too http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?39305-Valve-Cards&highlight=card

Last edited:
I carry the card in my wallet seeing I have a tissue valve, I think it pertinent that be known if I am unable to communicate in an emergency. My scar from my two OHS's is becoming so hard to see, it wouldn't jump out as noticeable at casual examination. I had two abdominal surgeries earlier in my life and there is no scar mark left from either of those very large incisions. I guess I heal well.

Most EMS are apt to look in a wallet for any medical alert or hopefully to find a list of medications a patient takes.

Latest posts

Back