valve success stories etc

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp66

A few facts/ stories that will hopefully make you feel less worried about being a VR patient (I'm sure most of you know these anyway but it made me feel better!)

Speaking of Robin Williams AV transplant Dr. Timothy Gardner, president of the American Heart Association said- "In someone who is healthy, despite being in their late 50s, there is a very low operative risk of failure, death or complications." AND "These operations restore people back to their totally normal life activities and abilities to do things," he said. "Almost always it restores them back to a totally normal lifespan."

Bobby Baker is the longest survivor of a heart valve replacement- over 50 years! (bare in mind how much technology has advanced since then!)

The Former Australian Prime minster Kevin Rudd has just had a second successful aortic valve replacement 20 years after his first (his first was the Ross Procedure). Doctors predict his new valve will last 15-20 years before he needs to worry about another.

Kanu, the Arsenal/ Nigerian footballer had his aortic valve replaced in 1996 and went on to have a hugely successful time at some of the biggest clubs in the world.

Other celebs include Arnold Schwarznegger and Robby Benson (4 OHS), both still going strong. Obviously there are many many more.

And of course there is Dick (a great inspiration since I joined this site a few weeks ago), still going strong after he had a star Edwards mech AVR in 1967 at age 31!

Obviously everyone is different but these are just facts I found in about 10 mins. Clearly there are lots of success stories all over the world and there is no reason to be discouraged especially with so many advancements in the future. When I found out that I needed a reop after only 4 years since the first op I started to become a little concerned about my future. However, after reading so many great stories (most on here) I don't feel concerned at all. Thinking positive has been a huge benefit to me and I expect to live a normal life.

WHAT NOT TO READ
http://heart.emedtv.com/aortic-valve-replacement/life-expectancy-after-aortic-valve-replacement.html

(Totally inaccurate and dated/ flawed results so pleased don't be alarmed if you have. Many heart surgeons will say you should expect a normal life expectancy if closely monitored and stay fit/ keep INR levels consistent)

Please post more success stories. It certainly makes me feel good and I'm sure others agree!

I just looked at your profile, Mark, and am sorry to read you anticipate another valve replacement after just four years. I had two OHS in four years and if it makes you feel any better, my second surgery was VERY much easier on me than my first and I had a bump free, rapid recovery and am doing fine.

It's was tough going through two so close together but it is very doable.

Be very careful about trusting the internet in matters like this....that are written and/or sponsored by professionals(?) that are using stats they find on other web sites. The MD who wrote the article you mention seems to be a general MD with no particular expertise in Cardiology, but he is the founder and a prolific author on the emedtv web site. I find it ridiculus to assume a mechanical valve would last only 16-22 years unless there were other serious health issues...or that person simply refused to follow simple post-surgery protocols. I will tell you that my prognosis was "sudden death" or, at best, death within ten years with my natural valve without surgery. I have now lived, normally, over twice the years my "life expectancy" was prior to surgery. BTW...the valve will be 44 years old on Tuesday 8/16/2011.....that's twice as long as was stated in the emedtv internet article:thumbup:.

thanks for the confidence boost Jkm7 . Yeah, I'm sure all will be fine, the more I think about everything the worse it is.

And yes Dick, every cardiologist and VR member I've spoken to agrees the article is rubbish. It's just a shame it comes out top on google when you do a life expectancy search as it certainly scared me when I first read it. I'm planning on living until at least 80! Although my valve has narrowed this year, over the past four years my left ventricular hypertrophy has gone, there is no left ventricular strain and good systolic function. At least the valve served a purpose!! And even though it was 4 years I'm not complaining. I've felt great and I know my next surgery will be fine. However, I don't want to go through this a third time within the next 30-40 years although if I do then I'll just deal with it. I'm pretty sure in 20-30 years time valve replacement will be so advanced there will be no need to worry!

Hi all, in regards to the website http://heart.emedtv.com/aortic-valve-replacement/life-expectancy-after-aortic-valve-replacement.html don't know about what you all think, but, how you feel in complaining to the emedtv to remove the article from their website? As this is just awful! Perhaps start petition against?

That website got it from another website I looked at. This kind of garbage is all over the internet....it is another example of "let the buyer beware". My own experience is to ask a professional (that I trust) whenever I see anything on the internet that seems way out-a-line with convential thinking.

Wow, I'm 28 so according to that article I have about 20 years or so... Well that's not too bad, just means I have to make the best of it :rolleyes2:

Seriously, unless you have other life threatening issues with the heart that CAN'T be treated you may only get several years after valve surgery, BUT NOT BECAUSE OF THE VALVE DIRECTLY FROM ALL THE SOURCES I'VE READ AND ALL THE DOCTORS I'VE TALKED TO.

I just came back from my cardiologist and he told me that since I'm so young they are trying to get me at least 50 years vs other patients he deals with that are in their 70's he's trying to get 15 years at least for them, he's not worried about their blood pressure or cholesterol that much. He wants me on some type of beta blocker for life as well as lipitor because he wants minimal pressure on the heart because of replaced aorta, he's trying to get the whole setup to last till I'm 80! :eek2:

Hi all, in regards to the website http://heart.emedtv.com/aortic-valve-replacement/life-expectancy-after-aortic-valve-replacement.html don't know about what you all think, but, how you feel in complaining to the emedtv to remove the article from their website? As this is just awful! Perhaps start petition against?

STEP AWAY FROM THE INTERNET!!

IMO it's imposible to measure life expectancy, period. You could be in an auto accident, choke on a peanut, or be hit by a meteor for heaven sake!! Leave estimating life expectancy up to the insurance company bean counters and LIVE!!

Last edited:
New here...first post. Be easy on me. :)

I don't know...I think the internet is a fabulous resource. You just need to be critical in what you read. Before my aortic valve replacement, I did a ton of looking at patient journals and articles on www.heart-valve-surgery.com.

I did, however, find a lot of junk out there, too.

Don't know what the insurance guys think, but after my av procedure I expect to live to 150. :D

Hey, Julian -- You and I have one distinct advantage. Many active patients hate to have to take beta blockers because the darned things hold down the patient's maximum heart rate. My pacemaker (and I'll bet yours, too) doesn't care a whit about what drugs I'm taking -- the pacer does its own thing with my heart rate. So regardless of whether or not I take a beta blocker (I do), my heart rate reacts to demand and increases as high as the pacer thinks it needs to go. The beta blocker doesn't hold it down at all! (Confirmed this with my cardio at last visit.) BTW. . . I believe that all of the "good" effects of the beta blocker are still present.

Gotta love modern electronics!

Lots of good comments here.
Yeah, personally I think as Dick said 'follow simple post-surgery protocols" you should live a normal life expectancy no matter what age you have an AVR. I have my 2nd AVR very soon. However, should I need another in 20-30 years time I really do think OHS will have advanced so much that it won't be a problem. Even now there are people out there who are on their 3rd, 4th AVR.

I don't think it is over optimistic to expect to live 40-50 years from now after my 2nd AVR later this year. Keep fit, healthy and managing INR doesn't seem like to much hard work to me.

IMO it's imposible to measure life expectancy, period. You could be in an auto accident, choke on a peanut, or be hit by a meteor for heaven sake!!

When I asked my Dr about 'life expectancy' he spluttered and said 'I dont have a crystal ball mate' ...I guess he was talking about the hit by a bus senario

Latest posts

Back