Valve specifications

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharad

Dear All,

Please suggest what decides the size of Valve. Also what parameters should be considered while selection of better valve. I am also bit confused about on-X and St. Jude.

Please comment your views.

Sharad the surgeon will determine what size valve you need once he has your old valve out. The exact method they use, I'm not sure of, maybe someone else can answer that?

As for On-X and St. Jude,

On-X is a newer, more hemodynamic valve coated with polycarbon to reduce the chances of clotting even further then the other valves on the market.

St. Jude valves are the "Gold Standard" here in the U.S. with a proven track record and years of use.

My surgeon wanted to use the On-x in me, but I had already had part of my aorta replaced and he needed a valve with a graft sleeve already attached to limit the amount of sewn joints I would have. St. Jude had it and On-x did not. A sleeve can be attached to the On-x, but in my case, that would have been an extra sewing joint that the surgeon wanted to eliminate.

Sharad,

You can review Valve specifications and comparisons on the Websites of the manufacturers. See www.heartvalvechoice.com, www.onxvalves.com, and www.sjm.com for the two valves you mentioned.

You can also contact the companies for more detailed information, information packets, and any questions you might have. Catheran Burnett, RN, at On-X can probably tell you the names of Surgeons in India who have experience with their valves or how they can support surgeons who have not yet used their valves. You can write her at [email protected]

'AL Capshaw'

Please suggest what decides the size of Valve.

short answer: when they buy a box of valves in assorted sizes, they also
get a selection of sizing tools. these are sorta like bathtub drain plugs.
they try them one by one, by plugging them into the spot where they
just removed your old valve, to see which is the best fit.

check this info from the edwards website:

Sizing and Implantation Technique (video)

http://www.edwards.com/eu/products/heartvalves/magnamitralimplantation.htm?magnamitral=1

PERIMOUNT Mitral Sizing Technique (pdf)

http://ht.edwards.com/resourcegallery/products/heartvalves/pdfs/ar00639.pdf

Dear Sir,

I am already in cntact with them for the specifications and now I have also written them for the names and support information as suggested by you. I will provide the same on the thread for others information.

Sharad.

Sharad,

You can review Valve specifications and comparisons on the Websites of the manufacturers. See www.heartvalvechoice.com, www.onxvalves.com, and www.sjm.com for the two valves you mentioned.

You can also contact the companies for more detailed information, information packets, and any questions you might have. Catheran Burnett, RN, at On-X can probably tell you the names of Surgeons in India who have experience with their valves or how they can support surgeons who have not yet used their valves. You can write her at [email protected]

'AL Capshaw'

Sharad,

I am planning to get mine done in AIIMS, so checked out some of the surgeons in and around delhi, if you do need some of the name I am provding them here. These doctors are for On-X valves only

Hi Brijesh,

I need the following information on On-X valve

Some information first :
1. AIIMS does not provide On-X Valve as an option
2. No surgeon for On-X Valve in AIIMS

Query:

1. Can On-X valve be ordered and use in AIIMS, has this been done before
2. How different is the procedure for putting in the On-X valve to
putting SJM valve
3. Is there a different surgeon needed or the one who does SJM is fine.
4. Who are the best surgeons who have done On-X valve replacement
surgery in India, specifically in Delhi.
5. Cost of the valve
6. If AIIMS allows for On-X valve, what other support can be provided by
the On-X team to ensure the surgery is successful.

The answers to your question are as follows:

1. We have quoted ON-X valves for this year's tender. The tender is still
not finalized. till then, AIIMS cannot purchase directly.In this case, you
can have a word with your concerned surgeon from AIIMS that if you purchase
ON-X valve, will he put it for you ?

2. The procedure is the same. There is no need for a surgeon to change his
technique.

3. Any surgeon who has put in any kind of valve can put in ON-X valve.

4. The surgeons who have used ON-X valves in Delhi are 1. Dr. Anil
aggarwal(Maharaja Agersen), Dr. Ganeshmani (Delhi Heart and Lung), Dr.
Satsangi (GB Pant)

5. Cost of the valve is Rs. 45,000/- plus tax

6. We will assist the surgeon in surgery. We will be present there to help
him out and familiarize himwith our valve. We will be there throughout the
surgery to support the doctor.

If you need anymore information, please feel free to contact me.

Regards
Brijesh Singh
Vice President
Cardio Products Corporation
N.Delhi
India

Latest posts

Back