Valve Size

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
valves

valves

If for some reason the valve is not working properly would you get the same symptoms as prior to surgery? Would it be a gradual thing? Just curious since there has been some discussion on this previously.I hardly hear mine anymore. Guess it is now settled in. I am a worrier so all this has crossed my mind a few times. ;)

valve size

valve size

Hi
29 St judes mitral here....
Size does NOT matter...it's how well it does it operates that really counts !
Mine works sooooo goOOOOOODDDDDD! ahhhh. phew. ;)
Lulabelle

Valve size.

Valve size.

My first Sultzer Carbomedics valve was 21mm (Too loud and uncomfortable to my liking). :eek: :eek: :eek: The second time around the surgeon changed to a 19mm St. Jude's mechanical.(nice and very quiet) Doing well with it for 3 1/2 years already. :) :) :) Told that the valve "seats" well for my size. :D :D :D
Anyone smaller than a 19mm?

Lulabelle1 said:
Hi
29 St judes mitral here....
Size does NOT matter...it's how well it does it operates that really counts !
Mine works sooooo goOOOOOODDDDDD! ahhhh. phew. ;)
Lulabelle
Thank you! I've been waiting for days for someone to answer this. :D

Hello,
I had a 21mm Magna aortic valve job one month ago. I was told this translates to a larger size had it been mechanical, porcine, etc... I think it depends alot on which valve was chosen and how much space is needed for sewing.
So this is what it feels like to be 21 again !
Spillo

I think the Perimount is sewn on top of the valve seat, instead of inside the valve seat, but I'm not completely sure on that. Also, the stent on other types takes up some of the opening. So, it would make sense that the CEPM would be an orange, rather than an apple. Too, the Mosaic has a flexible stent that is less than half the width of previous stents, so there is more bloodflow there for its size.

While bloodflow is a primary issue, all of the valve sizes discussed in this thread (excepting the #60, which must have come from an elephant, rather than a pig) provide more than adequate bloodflow, so no one should feel cheated. The valve is sized to the place it's mounted on, so the size you have is just about guaranteed to be the best size for you.

Was a 32 and now a 31

Was a 32 and now a 31

This may sound a little weird.

I have had two mitral valve repalcements, the first in Nov, 1991, the most recent in Sept, 2003.

During the first procedure they put in a 32mm. During the most recent procedure, theywere able to put in a 31. In both cases my choice was a porcine mitral valve.

Regards, Dave Darsch

ronbom said:
My model no. is 33 MJ 501 St Jude. My cardio says it is one of the biggest he's heard. It suits my personality--type A-keeps the blood clots flowing? Anyway I had a blood ot come through my brain-but survived an am OK. Sure makes lots of noise!!!

Wow! Amazing story! Did they up your coumadin as a result of the blood clot through your brain? How did you/they know it was a clot? :eek:

I do not dwell on this subject-because I was very LUCKY! They (ER)-gave me an ASPIRIN-believing something had passed-an didn't use the one time block buster. I had a trans-something placed down my throat(test) pushing against my heart through my lung to see if any blood clots had hung in my ST. JUDE. Valve. None was found! Then I had a cat scan-an the photos said I had a clot come through. I remember eating lunch-an then all I saw was my friends asking if I was all right-I could only see them through two little PIN holes( I guess the clot was in full bloom) an I was chewing my gums which were bleeding as I had no feeling. To end the story-six days later I went home-went for a walk an had a TIA occur-didn't know were I was.(for a few moments). YES they increased my coumadin-an Added a baby aspirin to displace my blood even further. But I'm fine-lost some skills for about a year. Learned all I could about computers-an the sequence of the moves taught me to join things together again. Now I can think in a straight line.(sometimes)I refused to listen to the symptoms. I sneeze now an----!

My St. Jude mitral valve is 35mm -- about the size of the top of a film canister. And they got it in there through the itty-bitty Heartport hole (the scar is less than 4 inches). It's not very noisy. I can hear it only if there's not much other noise around, and others can hear it only if they put an ear on my back, just under my left shoulder blade. (Other mechanicals can probably be heard that way, too. It's a good "parlor trick" to amaze your friends with.)

Yep, I?m in the 33 club.

Yep, I?m in the 33 club.

I always thought I got a big one (valve) because my heart was/is enlarged.

Well, mine is a 17...St. Judes....probably the smallest, since I was told it is a pediatric size. All they could fit in. The only problem is that the rest of me is most definitely not pediatric sized! , But I am alive.

mitral valve size

mitral valve size

This was an interesting thread to read, as my daughter Chloe is only 4 and was only 18 months old at her replacement but she has got a 25mm On-X mitral valve. I believe that this is because at the time of surgery she was in such severe heart failure that her heart was very enlarged (beating down in her abdomen) and the surgeon took full advantage of that fact and put a big valve in - to hopefully avoid the need for repeat surgery, I had often wondered how big adult valves were and this has givem me some idea.
Thankyou
Emma
xxx

Mine is a 19 which the doctor said is very small for my size. I laughed and told him I always knew there was this really small person trying to get out of my body! LOL

Thanks for the humor!

Thanks for the humor!

I was reading this thread today and geez did i ever need a lift....this did it. It made me laugh.....thanks!!!! Also checked out my hubby's valve size on paperwork from hospital.....it's a 29mm. All i could remember is the surgeon didn't give him a choice of which type of valve to use. He said.."I'm gonna use a big cow valve". Found out from this site that is called bovine. We've had a lot of chuckles with the cow jokes!
Thanks again and God Bless

Humor and Positive Thoughts are Important

Humor and Positive Thoughts are Important

You guys have the greatest sense of humor - I love it. When I had my first porcine valve put in (Nov 1991), I roasted a pig every year as a celebration - a little macabre, but it lightened up the situation. For you guys, it may be a roast-beef :>)

Enjoy life - Dave

Latest posts

Back