Valve Replacement Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The waiting WAS the hardest part

The waiting WAS the hardest part

Those of us that live in the Chicago area are very fortunate for the healthcare facilities that surround us, and I must say that my choosing Northwestern Memorial Hospital was a wise one. My wisest decision was choosing my family! (Oh yeah?.forgot that CAN?T be done.) I did however, get incredible support from both!

As Chris stated, the surgery lasted about 3.5 hours. It turned out that my surgery began late Friday afternoon (5/18). As I waited, it crossed my mind that maybe a late Friday surgery was not a good thing because the staff might be thinking about the upcoming weekend. If that were the case, they are great at multitasking because Dr. McCarthy and the entire NMH staff were simply beyond reproach.

THE DREADED TUBE. I do remember fighting the tube just a bit, but it was nothing compared to the expectation. My family did get a laugh from Dad in the CICU unit though. A staffer said, ?Bill, when you can open your eyes, we will then remove the tube.? Apparently. I instantly opened my eyes like saucers (described as almost cartoonish). Their laughter is my first cognizant memory after surgery. Wow?a great memory! I knew I climbed the mountain! The family was asked to leave for a few minutes, and the tube was removed!

A SECOND LAUGH (I don?t remember this one). My son Christopher a dating a great gal named Jackie who is in her final year of studying to be a surgical nurse. I asked Jackie to please prepare my family to expectations when they see me Post-Op in CICU. You all know?the tubes?the equipment/gauges ?the ashen look?glassy eyes?.puffyness?etc.
Post OP, my family enters CICU and a side from some minor puffiness around the eyes, my color is nice. A doctor then removes my surgical hat and my hair is perfect. He announces that, ?this guy doesn?t even have bed-head?. Again, as nice laugh.

Anyway, it?s over with and I?m glad! Now it?s rest, walk, breathe, read. I look forward to 12 weeks so I can again golf and ride my bike.

The waiting IS the hardest part and the other side of the mountain IS beautiful! NEVER will I be so naïve as to think there will not be a few bumps during recovery but as of this moment, the only glitches have been a continual low-grade fever that my doctors attribute the body reacting to the Dacron Graft and the CEPM valve, and nasty night sweats that I sleep through with absolutely no problems.

Thank you all for reading and thanks for all the prayers.

BillB

Thanks for the great post, Bill and I'm glad you appreciate your family!:D Dick was riding his bike and playing golf and tennis at 12 weeks and I wish the same for you. Enjoy your new found good health!

Latest posts

Back