Valve repair Korea

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what he meant in his comment that "mechanical valves are a temporary solution?!!:confused2::rolleyes2:

I was wondering the same thing. Also didn't he say something about mechanical's are only good for about 10 years? I best make my bucket list if that be the case.

I'm thinking that here's a surgeon who wants to make a name for himself - to be a "pioneer" in this field.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2010/03/121_62901.html

Seems like you aren't the only one to question this fellow. He's either a genius who will forever change valve surgery, a complete nutter, or a dangerous ego maniac. I'm voting for number 3. I don't like that he deliberately makes innacurate statements (this is lying to those of us in the real world) about the success and efficacy of other treatments, and vehemently denies the government's assessment of his own. It seems highly improbable to me that a stenotic aortic valve could be repaired by sewing a ring around it.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2010/03/121_62901.html

Seems like you aren't the only one to question this fellow. He's either a genius who will forever change valve surgery, a complete nutter, or a dangerous ego maniac. I'm voting for number 3. I don't like that he deliberately makes innacurate statements (this is lying to those of us in the real world) about the success and efficacy of other treatments, and vehemently denies the government's assessment of his own. It seems highly improbable to me that a stenotic aortic valve could be repaired by sewing a ring around it.

I think it is OK to keep it here...after all, his method is a "New Advancement" and who knows where this doctor will end!!

I am confused by another claims of this "Professor Song Meong-gun, Cardiologist":
"These days, I am amazed and interested to see that other surgeons are implanting the mechanical valves while I'm taking those off, as you can see here."
Is he removing mechanical valves because they are bad or because they do not last long, as he claims at the beginning of the interview.

Here is the whole interview in case someone cannot open the link for any reason:

"
Uploaded by NTDTV on Jul 4, 2009

A pioneering South Korean cardiologist has come up with an innovative surgical method to treat heart disease. Instead of using artificial heart valves, he repairs hearts using the patient's own tissue.

Artificial heart valves have been a proven method of extending the lives of people who suffer from heart disease.

But one South Korean cardiologist thinks valves should be either preserved or repaired instead of being replaced with artificial valves.

Cardiologist Song Meong-gun repairs heart valves with a patients own tissue.

Having introduced the revolutionary operation, known as CARVAR, which stands for Comprehensive Aortic Root and Valve Repair, in 1997, he is regarded a pioneer in the medical industry.

Song insists that the survival rate of his surgery is much higher than other surgeries.

[Professor Song Meong-gun, Cardiologist]:
"The ten-year survival rate of valve replacement surgery is usually between 55% and 70%, but this surgery's ten-year survival rate is 98.7%, which is unbelievable."

Song says the main disadvantage of mechanical heart valves is that they are a temporary solution. Patients are also required to take drugs to prevent blood clotting for the rest of their lives.

Song has conducted more than 400 CARVAR surgeries in the country and calls himself a collector of artificial valves.

[Professor Song Meong-gun, Cardiologist]:
"These days, I am amazed and interested to see that other surgeons are implanting the mechanical valves while I'm taking those off, as you can see here."

According to the World Health Organization, cardiovascular diseases are the number one cause of death around the world.

Category:
Science & Technology

"

Seems to me that they are using mechanical and artificial interchangeably in this piece, though the anticoagulation is obviously refering to mechanicals. May be a translation issue since the Dr only speaks in Korean in the video. In this case, a tissue valve is also considered "artificial", right?

If it is "real" then we would be able to replace a previously repaired artificial valve with a CARVAR if needed? Sounds promising to me, if I ever need to replace my mechanical. Time will tell if this is valid technology.

Somebody ask their surgeon/cardiologist about it and let us know what they say.

Latest posts

Back