Valve Comparisons

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilihead

I'm doing some comparisons to determine which mechaical valve is the most "high performance". It appears that the HP-St. Jude Hemodynamic Plus is designed to have less sewing -cuff material in the annulus thus increasing the geometric flow area by up to 26%. There is also the SJM Master Series Hemodynamic Plus valve with FlexCuff Sewing Ring. It claims to have outstanding hemodynamic perfomance due to maximized effective structural interference.

I'm the 39 year old guy that wants to continue kicking ass on my bicycle after recovery and would like to know if anyone has heard of these models or has an opinion about them.

Regards,

Jim
Due for AVR around December 03 or January 04.
[email protected]

Not yet, but. . .

Not yet, but. . .

Jim, I don't know the comparisons yet, but I'll sure be watching to see what others have found. I'l a bit older (55) but still a recreational runner (20 mi/wk) and work out 5 days a week while I'm waiting for the time to replace my aortic valve. My athletic goals may not be as lofty as yours, but still agressive for my "advanced" age <g>.

Let's give the group a chance to answer, then maybe we'll have to go out and do some research.

Jim,

Did you get that St. Jude information from their website?

If not, check their website to see if they have any more specifics or call St. Jude Medical at 651-483-2000 or 1-800-344-5833. These are the numbers on my St. Jude Medical ID card.

'AL'

Hi Jim

Hi Jim

Have you decided where you want to have your surgery? Have you asked your Cardiologist which Surgeon you should have..to do your AVR? If you decide to stay in the Dallas area?....When you make these decisions..I'm sure the Surgeon's office would schedule you an appointment to come in and talk about the type valve.. May take a month or two..but he/she is the one to talk to..Bonnie

If I get the mechanical valve, I'll probably stay in Dallas or Ft. Worth. If I go with the Ross procedure, I may opt for a hospital in Houston. A lot has to do with my insurance. The Ross "master" in Dallas is Dr. Ryan. However, he stopped taking my insurance in March of this year. So, for now I'm doing what I can with the doctors on my current insurance list.

I'm getting ready for a 3 week trip to Germany on business and am trying to get to Paris for the end of the Tour De France. My man Lance will probably win again and I'd love to be on the Champs Elysse to see him come in.

Hi There,

If you do decide to go with the Ross Procedure it is important that you get an experienced surgeon with a good track record on the Ross Procedure. Select one that is willing to provide you with the number of surgeries preformed and the outcomes. The techniques have been modified and improved over the years and long term results can be quite good and well suited especially for athletic types as yourself. The main thing is to research your options, all the stats are available for each type of valve and procedure. Here is a link on Ross and some stats etc.

http://www.hsforum.com/stories/storyReader$1469

Cheers
Dan
:)

Latest posts

Back