Valve choice when combined with an aorta repair - does this change the equation?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W. Carter;n857509 said:
Back to the original op question about choice of valve. I am 58 and not a heart surgeon so I just left it up to my surgeon to decide what I needed rather than reading on the internet from wanna be doc's what I needed. My surgeon said that at my age I needed a mechanical valve. He said I was too young for a tissue valve. I didn't even know what kind he installed until after the surgery. Again i'm not a surgeon so I just trusted his decision. As it all worked out, it worked out perfect. My surgeon installed a one piece graft/valve that is working great.

Glad that everything has worked out for you. I put my trust in a surgeon a long time ago and, it too, has worked out great........my valve will be 48 years old in three days(Aug. 16, 1967)....and after my annual visit with my cardo yesterday it shows no sign of "wearing out". FWIW, I agree with your surgeon that tissue valves, normally, are not for the young.

One bit of advice.....never take warfarin for granted........the drug is not difficult to live with but it can, and will, "bite" you if you do. That's not from a "wanna be doc".....been there, done that.

Last edited:
dick0236

Thanks for the warning, I have found out already there are 2 kinds of people on warfarin, the ones that toe the line and live long lives, or the ones that don't and they meet an early demise. :) Been in the hospital twice over warfarin already because I wanted to live fast and loose. So now I have chosen the safe dull way of living and i'm enjoying life. You are right, It is not a drug to be taken lightly, it will bight you in your butt. Anyways nice meeting you sir!

W. Carter;n857527 said:
dick0236

Thanks for the warning, I have found out already there are 2 kinds of people on warfarin, the ones that toe the line and live long lives, or the ones that don't and they meet an early demise. :)
Or options in the middle. Like live life as you want, fast and loose as you like, just take those pills and 10 minutes out of your week to self test. There are 10,080 minutes in a week.

Ski, hike, surf, shoot hunt, fish, restaurant, drink, have adventures, travel the world renovate your house and be Merry :)

14363261342_ebebd04575.jpg

13773514575_0a70b3e433.jpg

11249109733_afe64ddb81.jpg

pellicle;n857529 said:
Or options in the middle. Like live life as you want, fast and loose as you like, just take those pills and 10 minutes out of your week to self test. There are 10,080 minutes in a week.

Ski, hike, surf, shoot hunt, fish, restaurant, drink, have adventures, travel the world renovatr your house and be Merry :)

I've came so close to death with a subdural hematoma and head surgery that I would rather walk by the flowers so that I can smell them. :)

W. Carter;n857531 said:
I've came so close to death with a subdural hematoma and head surgery that I would rather walk by the flowers so that I can smell them. :)
You can do that too... had a few close shaves with death myself too:)

I was simply observing that the polarised viewpoint of either fast and loose so don't take warfarin or play it safe and toe the line is not the only set of choices.

Best wishes

pellicle;n857533 said:
You can do that too... had a few close shaves with death myself too:)

I was simply observing that the polarised viewpoint of either fast and loose so don't take warfarin or play it safe and toe the line is not the only set of choices.

Best wishes

Thats true dude, 3 yrs. ago I was working const. and living life to its fullest. That was prior chf, now I have come to realize I can't do all that stuff anymore (with or without warfarin use). I would be the last person to tell anyone that they can't enjoy life the way they want to. Nice meeting you dude!

W. Carter;n857535 said:
Nice meeting you dude!
Likewise :)

Always good to trade views with fellow travellers. To tell our stories to those who understand the road and to listen to the experiences of others :)

gregjohnsondsm;n857543 said:
I think you dudes should both take up flying. If you f,,k that up it will kill you with or without warfarin.

I'm not the dare devil, I'm the one thats worried about banging my head. :) Need to talk to pellicle about sky diving and stunt air shows.

Latest posts

Back