Upper back and neck pain / computer desktop work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realkarl

Radiation survivor
Supporting Member
I went back to work full time last week. I have more than enough energy for a full day, and if it weren't for my upper back and neck pain, all would be well. I try to sit ergonomically well, but as the day progresses, the pain increases. It's centered in my upper back, just below where the spine protrudes slightly, and it gets bad enough I have to cut days short. After relaxing a while in a recliner at home, the pain dissipates after an hour or two.

I am exercising every day as before (bicycling, walking), but haven't started doing any upper body strengthening exercises yet. I have Googled for what appears to be useful exercises, and I have a doctor appt with my regular doctor. I expect she will refer me to physical or occupational therapy. My cardiologist had no advice.

Has anyone else experienced upper back and neck pains post surgery, especially while doing office or computer work all day? What did you do to get better? I am nine weeks out from my surgery today.

Karl.

I have been working from home since 8 days out of surgery for a limited time. I find that after 2 hours my neck and lower back starts hurting. I am not nearly as physically fit as you are, but I never had a problem with neck pains before the surgery, or pains working from home full days, before surgery. I do not know when I will be going back to work "full" time, I have some complications, but at least when I do I have a Human Scale chair to help me. Maybe you were not ready to go back full time...
Hope your therapy helps, I feel your pain....

Linda

You were filleted like a fish with your shoulder blades nearly touching each other. Those muscles got more then stretched and it takes a long time for the pains to go away. Massage is the only thing that has been found to be helpful.

Thanks, Linda and Ross. I'll just have to be patient about my back recovering as well. I looked up the Human Scale chair. I don't have anything like that, but I think if I could rest my head on a headrest part of the time, it would have really helped. I see there are a few office chairs with a headrest to choose between, so maybe I will look for one.

Karl.

I had the same problem went to my chiropractor as soon as I thought I could handle it and he put every thing back where it was before surgery. My only suggestion is to make sure the chiropractor understands OHS and its effects.

Upper Neck and Back Pain

Upper Neck and Back Pain

Hi,
I was about to post the very same issue and you took the word from my mouth. I am back from hospital where I had a redo Ops on my failed valve 8 days ago. I am having the back ache particularly after sitting some time in front of my laptop. The pain seem to be at its peak especially when I am about to sleep in the night. So far my special orthopedic pillow, though alleviated the pain a bit, has not been able to stop it completely.

When you are on the PC, it will help to ensure that you are sitting upright, back very straight, and not slumped forward, and that your head stays aligned with your back, and not thrust forward. It also helps to get up, stretch and walk at least once an hour.

That won't guarantee no pain, but it should help overall. Few people sit appropriately when working on a PC. I've been in information management for over 35 years, and am on a PC most of the day at work, so I understand how it can be.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back