Update on visual disturbances

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a successful AVR in December 1999 at the age of 43. Ever since I've had visual disturbance problems: zig-zag lines of light across my vision which last for 30 to 40 mins. They often occur after exercise, particularly cycling. I was checked out by a neurologist who diagnosed a form of migraine without the headache. He said it was connected to the heart surgery but that nobody fully knew why it happened. He also said that, although annoying, it was not a siginificant health problem.

p.s. Like some others on this thread I'm a schoolteacher. Since my surgery I've had significant absence from work with stress/depression problems. I resigned from a head of department post I'd held for 15 years and am now planning to work part-time only.

Tom,
Responding to the ps on your post, I understand. I turned down a renewal on a department level chair and was incredulous when they didn't understand. Although my job is very rewarding, it is also incredibly stressful at times. When I consider it or my health, it's easy to see why I'm going for my health!
Mary

Daniel & Marguerite,

Regarding the tendrils that seem to be always there: Consider that we walk through air that is a miasma of floating dust, pollen, and cloth fibers. As your eyes are moist, these are continually sticking to the eyes as we move through them, and are washed away by the normal action of tears lubricating the eye.

The fact that these tendrils move when you blink may indicate that these are actually just cloth lint that has come to rest in your eye, which will eventually wash away. These would be particularly visible against a light background, and require a certain refocusing of the eye to clearly see. When you return to a more distant focus, they may seem to disappear, as if you can see right through them.

Just a thought.

I haven't been here in a while but this thread caught my interest, I thought I was alone with the occassionaly visual disturbance. Every once and a while I have moments when my face feels really hot, as if there is some kind of nerve damage making it feel this way, and while this happens I usually see a kind of black/white strobe effect in my far peripheral vision. Usually relaxing is the only way to get this to go away, yet so far it has never lasted longer than an hour. It only happens at most a few times a month. Strange, but it never happened before my Valve Replacement, so perhaps there is some connection.

Mark -

About five years ago I had some occasions of temporary facial numbness. The doctors diagnosed them as TIA's. I was put on aspirin therapy at that time. I'm not sure also if I possibly may have used a decongestant when these episodes occurred; the main ingredient of decongestants can also cause problems like that, and worse. As long as I took the aspirin though, I didn't have another problem with the facial numbness.

Post-op, I take the baby-dose of aspirin, once daily. Several others on this site with tissue valves take various dosages.

As long as this thread is up again. . .

As long as this thread is up again. . .

Hi, all.
I thought about this thread after my experience with the TIA back in May. I think Sherry had asked me why I had a MRI of my head in addition to the MRA. I chose to sidestep the question because I hadn't gotten my results back, but I will now in the event it might prove helpful for someone else.

The initial CAT scan taken in the ER showed an angioma in my brain. I don't know how many of you are familar with this term; I certainly wasn't. An angioma is a collection of blood vessels that grow beyond their normal parameters. You can have them anywhere--either outside on your skin or inside your brain.
Sometimes they can be life threatening, but that is rare.
The resultant MRI was to determine what type of angioma I had. A radiology neurologist read mine, along with a neurosurgeon, and mine poses no danger. It is not responsible for the TIAs I have had. The aortic valve is causing the TIAs.

However, after I started reading about it, angiomas can cause visual disturbances that sound much like some I have read on this thread. Apparently, angiomas are more common than once suspected. It has taken the advent of CAT scans and MRIs to disclose their prevelance, and their existence is usually found by happenstance (much like mine).

As I stated earlier, I had to wait until the report was back to know if I was in any danger. Surgery is indicated when they appear to be growing, but mine appears to be benign. I will post a link for those of you who want to read more.
www.emedicine.com/radio/topic95.htm

Mary

Thanks for that update, Mary. I'm really glad that your angioma is considered benign. What a scare that must have been for you. Are they going to continue to monitor it in the years to come? That website certainly adds some food for thought to all of us suffering from the visual disturbances. Mine have become much more frequent and bothersome since school has let out. I've done a tremendous amount of reading on occular or "silent" migraines on some migraine forums. Some of what I'm reading is disturbing in regard people who have these silent episodes and the suggestion that there is a propensity for strokes sometime down the road. But this in itself is confusing. None of us can find a single doctor who can definitively answer our questions about the visual problems as is evidenced by everyone who has contributed to this thread. We obviously all have this commonality with the valve, so that would seem the likely cause, but as you have contributed, Mary, and as others have suggested, there could be other culprits. Another complex aspect of this problem involves the types of disturbances: jagged lines vs. blind spots. One seems to be a classic migraine while the other can be that, a tia, or even a tumor or angioma. I guess I seem to be rambling at this point, so I'll wrap this up, but I'm still amazed at the number of us valve patients who suffer from this. More to follow later, I'm sure.

Yes, Sherry, it was traumatizing for a little bit. Since I was in the hospital when it was discovered, I had no access to information except the vague reassurances they always give you. After I got home and found the websites my husband had bookmarked, I got a little agitated. Well, actually I got ALOT agitated :D However, the neurosurgeon is a great friend of ours, and he also reviewed the film and said, "Not to worry". I assume I'm going to escape periodic MRI's, but for now the only issue being addressed is the aortic valve. One thing at a time, I guess.

I have had visual disturbances since 1998. Mine manifest itself by my eyes suddenly experiencing a sensation of being tugged, almost like my head itself is being pulled to one side. I become dizzy, and need to shut both eyes. If I only open one, I can focus and the spinning stops. If I open both, I can't focus and have to close them again. The episode usually lasts 5-15 seconds and then it's gone with no residual effects. I might experience one every two-three months and then go through a stretch of one every two-three weeks. I have had periods of more than a year with none occuring.

I have discovered that if I can fix my eyes on the horizon before one starts, I can sometimes prevent them from occuring. I think there is a correlation between looking down and then up. If I'm doing it rapidly, I can feel one trying to get started. For this reason, I speculate that they're related to eye muscle weakness, but the opthamologist offers no opinion.

One other thought is the first occurence corresponds to the time my valve problem was discovered. It's taken awhile for me to realize the time connection between the two. Perhaps it't nothing more than coincidence. I don't know! :)
Mary

Hi,

During my evaluation at the CCF, the cardiologist asked if I had migraines or Raynaud's. He said that often times those who experience vasospasms have systemic disease of the arteries or microvascular causing transient spasms, usually due to cold, stress, or food.

Mary,

Mary,

Mary. That is the sensation perfectly described whenever I ingest anything that has nutrasweet in it. The first time it happened I was in early pregnancy and I attributed it to that. I was at a party and someone handed me a diet coke. I thought maybe it was the pregnancy. But, no. Later I tried a diet beverage and wham! same thing. I stick to sugar now. I'm not suggesting that it is aspartame or nutraswseet, but I would honestly review what substances you've ingested prior to your experience. Might be helpful to avoid questionable items.

Thanks so much for the link and explanation about angiomas. I will read up on those before I see my opthamologist next week.

Thanks to all, too, for sharing. I'll be back!

Marguerite

Marguerite,
That is very interesting. I can't use Splenda at all because it tears my digestive system up. I use Equal rarely, and I don't drink too many diet drinks. However, I will pay attention from this point on.
I didn't check back in the posts, but I think I remember another member first describing the exact same experience we have. I'll go back and look. I have a friend who has had similar, though much more pronounced, episodes. She has undergone surgery locally and at John Hopkins to stop them. She is still plagued by the disturbances, and won't drive anyplace out of town as a result. She's young, 36, and I sometimes wonder if the diagnosis is accurate, or if it is "their best guess."
Please let me know if you learn anything new, and I will pay closer attention myself.
Mary

Interesting connection with ASPARTAME.

I recall reading a story about a pilot who was sometimes losing a field of vision. Finally, his doctor told him to write down everything he ate and drank along with his symptoms. They finally correlated his vision problems with Diet Drinks, i.e. Aspartame!

I'm not suggesting that is the cause of all of our valve induced visual effects. I certainly recall several disturbing effects, especially the inability to focus BOTH eyes, shortly after my second surgery and I avoid Diet Drinks like the plague.

Funny how the REAL THING (in moderation) is being seen as less offensive than all these modern hi-tech cure-alls such as Margarine and Aspartame.

Anybody know how SPLENDA is made? How can it be made from sugar, taste like sugar, but NOT have the calories of sugar? (FWIW, Splenda is my sweetener of choice)

'AL'

Hi All,
My name is Chelsie and I am 14 years old. I was diagnosed with Rheumatic Heart Disease back in March of 2004. I have damage done to my mitral and aortic valves, and I will have to get them both replaced eventually :( I have been getting "blurred" vision a lot lately. It's becoming really difficult to focus in schol because I can't see anything at all when they come. They last about 30-45 min. And most of the time I am just sitting down taking notes or looking at the board. I'm not doing anything that would cause me to be stressed out or to cause my blood pressure to rise. Is there anything else that could be causing the blurred vision?
~Thanks so Much!~
~Chelsie~

Hi Chelsie and welcome to this website. As you probably have noticed, there are many of us here that have rheumatic heart disease and I hope you make yourself very much at home.

You mention being troubled with visual disturbances. "Visual disturbances" is a topic that comes up from time to time and there is a sizable number who have experienced some type of visual disturbances. I have them myself. I think of them as visual migraines but my PCP says, in my case, they are episodes of atypical migraine. He put me on a low dose of verapamil to help prevent them. I think it has helped somewhat.

I hope you take a few minutes and tell us a little bit more about yourself. When were you diagnosed and how are you doing now. You are now among new friends who really understand some of the things you are going through.

Welcome again!

I highly recommend removing ALL caffine from your diet. Think you will be very surprised how well you will feel :)

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi Chelsie!

How nice to have you here! I am 50 years old!! but I remember having the blurry vision in High School. I did not know at the time that these were just migraines. I thought migraines always meant you got a headache. I never get a headache, just the jagged lines with the flashing edges. Mine last about 25 minutes.

I do remember several things about high school. I had alot of trouble seeing in French class. It was right after lunch. Two possiblities. The sun would hit a very white wall outside and reflect into the classroom. I think the brightness would trigger an episode. Also, I always had very salty snacks with lunch which I later learned were laced with MSG (or monosodium glutamate). That is a flavor enhancer that is used a lot in Chinese foods and in snack foods. Another thing that bothers me greatly is nutrasweet.

Try to avoid caffeine, as was suggested. That means no Coke or Pepsi, no Mountain Dew. Go with Sprite or 7up if you want a soda. DO NOT drink any diet drinks or chew any Nutra sweet type gum or candy. Easy on the chocolate. Then, if you are going to eat snack foods, check the label. Make sure there is no monosodium glutamate (MSG). Lunch meats can contain sulfites which can be bad, too. Like bologna or even turkey! It's a pretty long list of food possibilities.

If you have a seat in a classroom where you are facing bright light from outside, especially if it is teasing you through a blind or just part of a window, you might try changing your seat to a shady area.

Well, good luck with everything, and I hope some of this will help you. I wish I had known about my migraines in high school! My grades would've been a lot better!!

:D Marguerite

Have you had an eye checkup lately? Sometimes eyestrain can cause blurry vision and even headaches when you are doing any type of "eye" type work, like reading, writing, trying to view the board, or computer work.

I used to do a ton of very close work, and would have to get up and give my eyes a break by looking at more normal distances for a while.

Hi Chelsie - Nobody else has mentioned it so I will. Please be sure to see your doctor and describe to him the symptoms you have had. This could be serious, but only a professional can give you the guidance you need at this time. Hope this helps - Chris

Splenda is a sugar molecule, but reversed. The sweetness remains, but your body can't use it as a sugar or carbohydrate. Because its sweetness is the same as natural sugar, it usually leaves no aftertaste. It can be used by diabetics, as it does not affect glucose levels. It is approved for children and for pregnant and nursing women, and products containing it are not required to carry warning labels.

Perhaps it will not trigger visual or atypical migraines. I don't know. It doesn't seem to have the other issues that the rest of the no-calorie sweeteners do, though. It can even be used for baking.

It is sometimes found mixed with maltodextrose. Although I am not sure why, it may be to stretch it so it has a better correlation amount-wise with regular sugar, as I believe it is 50% less in volume for the same sweetness.

Here's a site from McNeil Neutraceuticals that may have more info: http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml?id=splenda/products/faq.inc#q4

In a similar way, reverse fat molecules are used for those "fat-free" potato chips. Many of the qualities of the molecule remain, but it is indigestible.

Best wishes,

Hi, Chelsie. I'm the one who started this thread last year. Ironically, I've just had a blurry (gray cloud) episode yesterday and some jagged lines this morning. Both Gina and Bob have alluded to the dietary concerns that could cause this: caffeine and artificial sweeteners. Personally, I'm working to eliminate both, but it's hard as most well know. It could be something like an occular migraine, or it could be something more serious, as Chris suggested. Marguerite also mentioned light triggers. I had my opthamologist put a coating on my glasses which helps a bit. Just to be safe, however, I think I would have your mom/dad consult the cardiologist to see what he/she thinks. Take care and continue to update us on your condition.

Back