Update on visual disturbances

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James funny you should mention that as the first time I went to the neurologist office for my post surgery visit I saw they had pamphlets for Botox and I thought that was odd as I knew that Botox was used for wrinkles. I never got up to look at the information but next time I go I will grab one. Gee, I would love to kill two birds with one stone.......lol :D

Me too!!!

Me too!!!

Count me in as a visual disturbance post-op mitral valve replacement patient. It's crazy...and I thought it was just me. I think there is defenitely a link here. I have a lot of the same symptoms and triggers that have been mentioned. Not always a headache with them but sometimes. I had some of this before my surgery but it sure does seem to be worse and more often since OHS. I complained of headaches before my surgery so they did a MRI and found nothing. I haven't made it a big deal to my cardio for the same reasons that you've all mentioned. So, obviously I'm not the only one suffering, makes me feel better that it's not just me, but doesn't help with the "why" part. :rolleyes:

~DeeDee~

Botox

Botox

Last week, at my 6 month checkup with my PCP..he told me that he was leaving soon to take some classes on botox. I said, good, give me one in my deep line between eyes..He laughed and then I said, come to think of it..maybe it would help with the spasm in my throat (that I have had 2 1/2 years since my Mom died. It is there every day..I can control it..but when I get stressed out..they come. Called aerophagia..The swallowing of air. He said..you know, I will look into it. :) I would be willing to pay ..I know botox only lasts 6 months...My son is dating a Nurse who works with a botox doctor..She says they cost about $600.00..but, taking coumadin..hummmmdon't know. :confused: :confused: Bonnie

Re: Classic Migraine triggers... It's nearly always from a flash of light for me but I also thought that my being hungry seemed to contribute to it sometimes. When we go out for breakfast, I always try to sit with my back to the windows because a flash from cars sitting or moving outside will often trigger it. I have the jagged lines for about an hour or less and then a dull headache the remainder of the day. I don't think I've had a full one of those since the surgery but after years of them, I can kind of concentrate them away when they first start. When they are first coming on, instead of resting my eyes and resigning myself to the frustration, I force my eyes to focus and they will usually dissipate. It seems to work for me.

I started having ocular migraines after my second child was born. It was an interesting experience, until I had one while driving to work! Mine seem to be related to MOCHA LATTES! The coffee raises my BP, heart rate and glucose level in a rush.

I quit drinking the hard stuff a few years ago, and haven't had any problems, save one episode after a contrast bubble study, (where my cardio injected saline w/ bubbles to check for a VSD). I lost peripheral vision after the test for about 10 minutes. My doc thought it was a small emboli from the tiny bubbles ... tiny bubbles!

Anyone here a Don Ho fan? http://www.donho.com/home.html

Cheers,

One vote for stress causation...

One vote for stress causation...

I might be willing to give a vote for the stress theory, now. First day I've had serious stress for weeks, and I'm typing this through a miasma of broken-glass rainbows. Major visual migraine.

I go for a closed-tube MRI in an hour and a half, and I am extremely claustrophobic. I have a 10mg Valium in my pocket, but I don't hold out too much hope for it. Add to that an emergency 6 ayem run to my son's house for a broken water heater and emergency calls from work last night that I've been handling all morning (still waiting for one of them to get finished), and...well, you get the idea.

I had these daily after the surgery for a couple of weeks, but then they stopped, until now.

Well, at least it gave me an opportunity to complain...

Let us know how you survive the MRI

Let us know how you survive the MRI

Bob,
I'm interested in how you cope with the MRI. I'm not as much claustrophobic as I am fearful of being "trapped". I'm always looking for the nearest exit whenever I go somewhere new. My mother has had several MRIs, and she said they're not bad, but she doesn't have the same psychological baggage that I do.
I don't think that attributing the visual disturbances to stress is necessarily a negative. The brain is such a beautiful, complex machine that it's possible when its circuits are overloaded it devises a compelling method of making the rest of the body aware that it is being overwhelmed.
As Ross would say, "COMPLIANCE!"
Mary

Bob

Bob

I hope you took that valium when you posted saying you were having the MRI in 1 1/2 hours. It was in your pocket :eek: I was told to take a pill? don't know what it was when I left home and another when I arrived to have the MRI done..I was feeling so good. didn't take the other one...BIG MISTAKE :eek: :eek: I was so uncomfortable...the tech was in a deep well and I could barely hear him..Hope I never have to have another one done....Will op for the open MRI..Heard they are not as good, tho. :confused: :confused: Well, post when you get home..Bonnie

Mary

Mary

Hate to tell you this..but you are TRAPPED when you are in the tube..I think, I remember a glass window above my head and kept looking at it...My suggestion is to tell the tech to keep talking to you..he/she will let you know how much longer..........but, everyone should take a sedative before.. :D :Dor 2 or 3 or 4.. :D Bonnie

Gonna Take more than a sedative

Gonna Take more than a sedative

Bonnie,
I will have to be flat- down and unconscious in that case! I am leading a lawabiding life partly due to the knowledge that I would go crazy in a jail. :eek:
Anyway, I'm glad for the heads-up.
Mary

Mary

Mary

When will you be having an MRI?..Just tell whoever to give you a good sedative..Don't take them..maybe someone else can chime in about the best ones... :confused: :The next time I go to my PCP..will try to find out the little 2 white pills, his nurse gave me.. :D :D I know just the 1 relaxed me sooooo..until I was trapped in the BOX :eek: :eek: Hoover Dam ..years ago did that feeling to me..also Caverns..When I was younger and going thru them with my kids...Bonnie

Try to take your sedatives on a fairly empty stomach with ample water. You don't want to slow them down with mixing them with food and have them kick in after the test is already over.

:confused: MRI's have always been unpleasant to me but I was hoping that I would never have to have another one because of the wired sternum. Is it okay to have an MRI even with that metal in you?

MRI claustrophobia looks like a topic. We don't want to hijack Sherry's thread with it, so I started an MRI thread.

No eye sparklies since the MRI is finished, though...

Susan

Susan

I had two MRI's shortly after my surgery and there was no problem that I had new wires in my chest although of course the whole time I laid there I kept wondering if those wires would stay in place..........I was after all under a big magnet! I had taken my valium before I had my MRI done, but I was still very claustrophobic and had to focus on the glass in front of my face. So I guess the wires aren't a problem at all............. :)

some ideas on visual migraines

some ideas on visual migraines

I remember this thread, never made it to the end til this morning. Want to bring it back to the visual disturbances....

I have had visual migraines (no headache), well, always, I think. I'm now 50, pre-op, bicuspid AV. My auras last exactly 23 minutes. I cannot imagine one lasting for an hour! Over the years, I have played around with solutions (none of them Rx, though) and have discovered the following things......

Flourescent lights are a major trigger for me. Teachers, look into having your classrooms refitted with full-spectrum lighting. It's not the buzz for me, it's the quality of the light. You may improve the overall mood in your class, also. If you have any flourescents at home, try replacing them first and see if you notice any difference. Your tolerance threshhold may be lowered in a room with many banks of these lights.

Foods. Oftentimes we snack on incredibly salty foods. Or over-processed ones. I found that corn curls not only triggered the auras, I also often lost a large squared-out chunk of my visual field in one eye -- completely black. Most alarming! Once, when driving with this major blackout I got angry (indignant, like this is enough of this) and just started to press on the bad eye. Voila! It went away! The adding soft pressure trick doesn't always work, but thought it might be worth a mention (and someone else here, mentioned it). Perhaps the sudden high salt also affected my blood pressure or tiny vascular systems. At any rate, when these events occur for those of you who are struggling, pay attention to the foods you've been eating and perhaps you can single out some problem areas. Migraine sufferers are often told to keep a food diary. Somewhat helpful, though a nuisance and not always accurate since responses can be delayed. I suspect all those pre-op, post-op pharmaceuticals are causing problems, also.

For me, anything and all things labelled "sugarless". Aspartame, I guess. Whew, sets my world upside-down.

Then there are scents. Perfumes, hairspray, laundry soap, floor cleaner. For years I worked on linoleum/vinyl. I would be absolutely punchy dizzy if I went in while the floor polisher was doing his thing. Something in the mix of chemicals he used. Freshly cleaned bathroom stalls also make me woozy. We now try to buy fragrance free detergents, we use simple Aloe Vera bath soap, etc.

The reason I went back to this thread was because I am now noticing that I am experiencing grey floaties, like tendrils. These are very different from a migraine. They are always there. Most noticeable when looking at a white wall or reading a bright page. They move as I blink my eyes and then sort of right themselves back to their floaty position. They are more prounounced when I wear my barely tinted contact lenses. They are beginning to drive me nuts so I'm going to schedule a visit to my ophthalmologist (very busy these days, so it won't be too soon). My blood pressure is rising from traditionally very low to what seems to be a standard in the 130's/80's range. Perhaps it is related.

Hope some of my suggestions can be of help to those new to the annoying onslaught of visual migraines. By the way, the reason I timed my episodes was because when one occurs on the freeway, I look at my watch. If I have an extra 23 minutes, I pull off the freeway to a nice shady spot and wait for the disturbance to pass. It really isn't worth it to risk the "blindness" those auras can create. They really do play tricks with your visual field. Please be safe with them.

Marguerite

Last edited:
Very interesting thread. My two cents....

I also believe their is a link between stress and high BP. I remember having small brown outs or dark spots usually out of my left eye. I work with a laptop computer and noticed certain triggers like suddenly looking away from my computer outside my window or to another light source. I would get a wavey type curtain and then a brown spot usually near the top of my field of vision.

Prior to my AVR last August, I was a Starbucks junkie and I believe the Super Coffee raised my BP.

However, I had an episode earlier today which is the first one in a very long time. Coincidentally, it came this afternoon after I had to lay-off an employee of 18 years at the company I work for. A very stressful day! I'm convinced it had something to do with it.

dust particles

dust particles

Perfect description. In addition to the grey curtains/mosaic patterns, I get those tendrils too. Up to now have never discussed with anyone or heard of anyone else having this visual "effect". Never bothered me, per se, but I felt is was some kind of particle or dust on the surface of my eye.......

The reason I went back to this thread was because I am now noticing that I am experiencing gray floaties, like tendrils. These are very different from a migraine. They are always there. Most noticeable when looking at a white wall or reading a bright page. They move as I blink my eyes and then sort of right themselves back to their floaty position.

Any more info from anyone would be interesting..

Daniel

Hi Everyone, and thank you TSH for that site. I just saw the scintillating scotoma (sp?) and it is exactly what I experience when I have the visual problems. In my case it was after surgery. Never had a problem before. Interesting to see the actual picture and somewhat re-assuring also.

Back