Update on my Dad

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojofromct

Hi Everyone. Yesterday was a long day but we made it through. My om and I were watiting in the waiting room and the surgeon came out and said HE NEEDS THE VALVE REPLACED, ITS NOT AN EMERGENCY BUT IT NEEDS TO BE DONE AND THE SOONER THE BETTER. So we got the confirmation we needed to hear.

So, now my parents are getting in touch with his cardio and need to meet with the surgeon. What worries me is the waiting, not till the surgery, any restrictions for my father and things like that. I know if it needed tobe done ASAP they would have kept him in the hospital after the cath. He went home after 5 hours of resting after the cath. They have a plug in him. Everything looks good . I stayed the night with them and my husband too here at my parents house.

Monday he goes back to the Coumidin Clinic for his INR. He sttarted up on the Lovenox last night and already has his 2nd shot in him this morning. ALSO he is back on the Coumdin as of last night. The bridging process is working exaclty like its supposed to, I still pray no clots.

My parents and I feel al ittle better knowing the valve needs to be replaced than wondering WHEN...we know it has to be done now. I hate the waiting, the valve needs to come out. When they were doing the cath the surgeon would put the cath near the valve and my dad said he would get a numb pain in his left hand and of course he told the surgeon that too. My dads arteries are clean as a whistle. EXCELLENT the surgeon said.

Wanted to give you all the update, please any advice or comments please post. I am going home today as I think my folks are doing OK.

Thanks Joanne

Glad the cath went well. As far as replacing his valve, well, that is the beginning of him feeling better.

His physical health is great otherwise, so he should do very well with the surgery.

Keep all positive thoughts.

Your dad is a strong guy!

Great news on the arteries- I hope he gets a date soon for the surgery! I know he is in good hands with such a supportive daughter.

Thank you everyone, Nancy, thanks so much for your support through all of this. ALL OF YOU - Thank you.

I just got home, I didnt want to leave them. But, he is fine and relaxing and mom is ok too.

I will let you know how is INR is on Monday.

Ross you crack me up! Thanks for making me laugh:)

Yes Bina, I am exhausted. I just said good night to my folks. My dads knee is sore, the one they did the cath in, its not red or hot or swollen or anything, probably from keeping it still for hours yesterday...

Thanks everyone again

They did your Dad's cath through his knee?
I never heard that before. I thought it was at the groin or arm. Interesting.
Glad to hear he is doing well. And very glad you got a good report that his arteries are clear.

Hope all goes smoothly through surgery and recovery.

JKM7 - No the cath was done at the groin, the normal way, I was just mentioning his knee was sore on the same leg the cath was done.

Thank you for the support too!

Tomorrow my Dad gets his INR checked. I am wondering if all is good, can he return tohis work Tuesday, he lifts 100 lbs at work. I am wondering what or if he will have ANY restrictions before the surgery? My parents are tryhing to get a appt with his cardio ASAP but it might not be until 12/2, in 2 weeks. With the valve being sever is this ok to wait? I know if they needed to do it ASAP they would have admitted him Friday but I am still nervous a bit about it. Walking around with a bad valve...

He should be ok to wait for the appointment. As far as work and lifting, I don't think so. Maybe a week before he should strain himself lifting, but it depends on what the doc said too. You did say he got a plug, so that may be a difference.

Thanks Ross:D

Yes, he got the plug. I havent talked to them yet this morning. I will call soon.

As far as going back to work BEFORE open heart surgery, I mean we dont even have a date yet. So if the docs say he can work, I am sure he will. I just get so worried ya know? Do people walk around and work with sever valves??? Its so ironic to me...

Jo, I waited 6 months with a severely stenotic aortic valve and a small aneurism. Surgeon said not much longer than that, but I was dealing with other (mostly emotional) stuff, and knew I couldn't do it. I was restricted to lifting no more than 5lbs. However, each case is different, so he should not lift or strain himself until he gets the OK from a doctor.

Once I was told that my valve was pretty much kaput I freaked out and did nothing that would elevate my heart rate until I had the surgery. Now when I exercise I wear a heart monitor and I can tell you that lifting WILL raise your heart rate and thats not a good thing for a stenotic valve.

Has your dad's cardio put him through a stress test ? Once my cardio saw the results of my echo he wouldn't give me a stress test, too risky. If your Dad's cardio says no lifting before the surgery then he needs to listen.

One thing I would add with winter coming and especially since your living in the NE. Do NOT let your dad shovel snow prior to surgery. I don't want to be blunt but you read about people who have heart attacks shoveling ? The cold air/exertion combination is not something a person with a stenotic valve wants to gamble with. The cold exaserbates the symptoms. Ask your Dad's cardio his opinion. Maybe others in the forum will chip in their opinions as well. You Dad doesn't need to stop living, but there are certain things he really should avoid until he gets that valve squared away.

I had the plug with my cath and was told no heavy lifting.

I think your Dad definitely needs to clear with his cardio/surgeon re: lifting 100 pounds.
Hopefully he can call his cardio's office before he continues to do that sort of heavy work.
It takes between 60 and 90 days for the plug to be naturally absorbed by the body.

Tomorrow they should be in contact with the cardio about going back to work, I PRAY. Its making me not even able to concentrate today, and I really need to take care of my husband and I am having a hard time doing that because I cant stop thinking about my dad and mom.

My father passed his stress test a month and a half ago. Thats why he continued to work. We knew he needed the valve replaced but he had no restrictions.

I know after the cath he has restrictions and he is following them right now. My concern was going back to work until the valve surgery.

My father doesnt shovel anymore, they have someone come by and plow. He does the steps maybe.

I hope they talk to the cardio tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back