Update - home, fever, and thalassemia

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pem

I came home Tuesday night and felt worse due to the transition stress. About an hour before leaving the hospital I experienced what I can only describe as "brain shocks". I was sitting in a recliner fidgeting minimally when it felt like some stuck defib paddles on my head. I had two if these intense "shocks" in rapid succession. Apparently, nobody had ever heard of this. They looked at my monitor and checked for signs of TIA (mini stroke) but everything looked normal. I haven't had a recurrence, but it's still a mystery. My best guess is that is some weird neurologic manifestation of stress.

At home, i've struggled mostly with fever. I have an inflammatory syndrome precipitated three years ago by an Epstein-Barr flare-up (95% of people over age39 have a dormant EBV infection). The outward effect is that physical and emotion stress can trigger an inflammatory response, which manifests as fatigue, fever, or both. Since one might say that OHS is "slightly" physically and emotionally stressful it comes as no surprise that my inflammatory response is in overdrive. This confuses things both at the hospital and at home, where a fever often suggests infection. It has been challenging to get this across and, I imagine, challenging to deal with clinically. But the current approach, which makes sense to me, is to use fever as a lesser indicator and with different criteria for reporting it. Now I will only report a fever of 101 or higher that persists for more than 6 hours in the presence of Tylenol. Fortunately, and predictably, the fever responds almost immediately to Tylenol, lowering it by about a degree or more. Because of this they are using other outward signs to indicate infection of which, at least so far, I have none. But every day is a roller coaster of too hot, too cold, chilled, etc. And it is exacerbated by activity, so even though I otherwise feel like I could do more walking etc, I have to attenuate these activities or end up stuck in a hot room under three blankets shivering. I include this detailed account for the benefit of others who may have a similar autoimmune disorder like CFS or fibromyalgia. If you are asking the question "will this affect my surgical outcome?" the answer is probably no. But to "could this impact my recovery experience and create some confusion for my caregivers", I would say yes, and recommend that you prepare a sheet of paper explaining yor autoimmune disorder and how it manifests under stress. Make lots of copies and give them to a family member who can bring them to you to distribute during recovery as needed. Self-advocacy can be very rewarding.

Finally, I have Thalassemia minor, a common benign form of Mediterranean anemia. There are no symptoms, but your hematocrit tends to show up low (your red blood cells are smaller than normal). There is some question about the reliability of finger-prick (portable and home based INR machines). It may produce an exaggerated INR reading compared to lab machines. Which also raises the question of "which machine is right for the intended purpose of INR levels". My cardiologist is working with me on this to compare the results between the two machines (yes, that means I get pricked AND stuck each time - but hey, for science). I'll report back findings.

Sleep is the greatest healer.

My very best,
Pem

Pem - Glad to hear you're home. Sorry about the issues you are dealing with, but most everyone has some sort of hurdle or bump to work through. I'm not familiar specifically with what you are going through, but I can definitely attest to the fact that the surgical experience can exacerbate other conditions.

I'm diabetic (type 1) and it was almost unbelievable what happened post surgery to my insulin levels. I know even non diabetics experience this too. My pre-surgery basal insulin rate was .55 units per hour, and it hadn't changed more than .1 unit per hour in years. Immediately post surgery, it was around 20 units per hour. A week later it was around 8 units per hour. 3 months later it was 2 units per hour. 6 months later it was finally back to normal.

Best wishes for good sleep and steady progress.

Pem - Glad to hear you're home. Sorry about the issues you are dealing with, but most everyone has some sort of hurdle or bump to work through. I'm not familiar specifically with what you are going through, but I can definitely attest to the fact that the surgical experience can exacerbate
Best wishes for good sleep and steady progress.

Thanks! Even though each case is unique, it seems it is very common for issues to develop that take weeks or months to resolve, which is in a sense comforting: this won't last forever and time heals all wounds.
I'm glad your insulin levels finally returned to normal even though they took their time.
Pem

Welcome back, pem! Those complications, while relatively minor as post-HVR "speed bumps" go, sound quite confusing and very frustrating. And the fact that chills and sweats are one of the more common symptoms of the dreaded Endocarditis, must also make you and your caregivers nervous. Don't feel you have to set any records for the fastest return to running, or any variation on that. It's still very early times, and eating and sleeping and resting and some walking and lots of healing are on the menu!

Have you ever had migraines? I used to, and in the past decade I've had a few episodes (all pre-OHS, so far) that vaguely resembled your "brain shocks". In my case, they've been "diagnosed" as "ice-pick headaches", a usually harmless (but thoroughly unpleasant) uncommon late complication of migraine.

I also had a suspected TIA post-OHS, while still in the hospital -- the night of "Day 2 Post-Op", IIRC. For just under an hour total, I was slightly disphasic and maybe 20-30 IQ points short -- and then it was gone. When I first awoke with the condition, I had trouble "scripting" what I was going to tell the nurses, because I was having trouble finding words. When they came, I worked way too hard to spell "WORLD" backwards. An hour later, when I said I was fine, the same clever nurse who had asked me to spell "WORLD" backwards, jokingly asked me to spell "Mississauga" backwards, and I did it first try. They still sent me for a brain CT the next morning, but (as Groucho Marx might say) "It didn't find anything".

Between the elevated risk of thrombogenesis immediately post-op, and the risk of other kinds of "junk" being dislodged and floating around our bloodstreams, it seems like a wonder that more of us don't get strokes or TIAs, post-OHS. I just read that future TAVI procedures may include some kind of filters, to try to reduce those stroke risks (which are higher than for OHS).

Norm,

I do have a history of migraine aura (blind spots, shimmering lights, vertigo, etc.), so the "ice pick migraine" is an interesting hypothesis. In my case, the entire episode lasted one or two very intense seconds, but in one case I felt a residual ache for 15 minutes. Another thought that occurred to me is that it was caused by an irritated or pinched cervical nerve. I have arthritis and a bulging C disk. I was told that in order to intimate me they hyperextended my neck during surgery. Perhaps that interacted with the C disk issue.

That disphasia episode must have been disconcerting. I wouldn't put it past migrainous phenomena though. I know several people who have had hemiplegic migraines. This is very scary but totally benign. Symptoms include marching paralysis on one side if the body leading to slurred speech, followed by a period of dysphasia. The diagnosis of migraine results from negative findings for TIA and a killer headache that follows the other symptoms. Makes for a fun-filled trip to the ER though.

Pem

Just to follow up on the prick (finger prick home nurse test) vs stick (venupuncture with lab analysis) comparison, these are my INR results for three consecutive days:

Prick
-----

Stick
-----

As you can see, the second reading using the portable INR test unit was much higher (3.8) than the lab result (3.0). For this reason, my cardiologist used only the lab test for all subsequent INR testing. However, because the inconsistency between the two tests seems sporadic (the prick test wasn't consistently higher than the lab test) I attribute the difference to the fact that each time I had the prick test, it was administered by a different home health nurse using a different machine. Thus, I'm going to still request a home testing unit and hope to run a similar parallel readings study in the near future. I now think it is unlikely that thalassemia is a factor in this. Not much data to go by though.

Pem

PEM,
Interesting read. I look forward to you posting additional data on this if you don't mind. I am also concerned with the variances I am seeing with my INR results.

Craig

For both of you, I just found this, about thalassemia and home INR testing.

I, too, had problems initially after surgery with home-health nurse checking my INR with a portable unit rather than a venous draw going to a lab. I have thalassemia minor, too.

I don't have a home unit, but was hoping for one. Now I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Latest posts

Back