Update and Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottinAustin

Hi again everyone! This is Scott in Austin and I am back at work after my surgery. I still can?t access this forum from my home so I look forward to catching up with you all from my work computer. Just a little background: Almost three years ago I found out I had a bi-cuspid aortic valve and had surgery to replace it due to calcification and major regurgitation. I ended up with a Metronic Hall valve and reassurance from my surgeon I was healed. After moving to Austin and finding a new cardiologist, a baseline ekg, echo and ct was completed. Long story short, my ascending aorta was in aneurysm and I was referred to a surgeon. Late December this last year I had surgery to replace the aneurysm and a complete redo of my prior Avr. Oh yea, I have a shiny new pacemaker to boot! After 2 months of home recovery I am feeling very good - still not 100% but well enough to start living again. I met with my cardio last week after a follow up echo and I was released to normal activity. I still have a-fib and my blood pressure is not stable yet but I am working with my doctor.
I do have a question: After ascending aorta surgery is there any lifting restrictions you have been told about? My doctor told me I was restriction free but I do not want another aneurysm.

Scott in Austin

Hi Scott,
Glad you are feeling better. My take on your weight lifting question is that it is still early to lift much weight. Your surgery was very recent. Three months post-op you'll feel better and at 1 year post-op you'll really be getting back closer to normal. I was told at first to avoid lifting more than 40 lbs. At least this was my experience. Your body went through major change, and nerves will restart firing over time. For now, I suggest an approach of caution with respect to lifting weights. If you are talking about going into the gym try less weight with increased reps. Even if you never had AVR and aneurysm, less weight with increased reps will give you better tone and stamina.

By the way, you're healed! Don't worry about another surgery or more aneursyms. Not going to happen!

Enjoy the music in Austin!
MrP

Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear about all you've been through but glad to hear you're on the mend.

I've read that people with aneurysms need to avoid heavy lifting and if you have a bicuspid valve you may develop more aneurysms in the future. If I were you, I'd take it easy.

Did I read correctly that they had to replace your mechanical valve after only a few years? If you don't mind my asking, how come? That must have been a shock.

Best of luck and hope you're feeling 100% soon.

Cheers,
Michelle

Hi Scott,
Glad you're coming along. Definitely show significant caution for some time so your body can do its healing (ditto for MrP's comments). If your doctor continues to tell you otherwise, though, that's great news and a testament to how well you're doing.

Hi Scott,
I just had my BAV and ascending aorta replaced, my surgeon told me after 12 weeks I go unrestricted. I also asked him about developing aneurysms in other parts of the aotra or if the graft will last. He told me don't worry about the graft, it will last longer then you (i'm 37), and as far as developing aneurysms in other parts, he stated it was less then a 5% chance. I already told my cardio that I want to be monitored for them, and she stated when they check on the graft periodically they will check the rest of the aorta.

Nick

Latest posts

Back