upcoming surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovejoy

formerly Beautiful Ozarks, near Branson, MO, now C
I saw my surgeon Tuesday and he thinks the entire thyroid needs to come out. My date is Aug. 30th.
My problem is, they checked with my cardiacs office and he told them I was ok for surgery and to stop my coumidin 4 days before surgery and go into hospital 1 day before and if INR below 1.5 to start heparin. I am NOT at all comfortable with this and told my surgeon same. I then called my cardiacs office and spoke with nurse and told her the same. She just kept saying that is what he wants me to do. I finally said this is my health and I am not willing to risk it.
Last october I had to go in hospital 3 days before a 20 minute foot surgery so I dont understand what has changed. Same cardiac DR.
Am I off base here ? I've had several surgeries since my AVR and have always been in hospital and bridged 3 days prior to surgery.
Are my only options either a stroke or cancer ??
Advice please.
Changing Cardios really isn't an option in this time frame. I am in a very rural area and my cardio comes here from larger city.

Going to the hospital several days before surgery may not be necessary (especially in the collective wisdom of the insurance company), but I do think you should probably bridge before you reach 1.5. Lovenox is short -lived, that's why you're injected every 12 hours. Stand your ground... it's your life.

Latest posts

Back