Upcoming Mitral Valve Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeL16

HELP!! Have had symptomatic MVP 13 yrs (54 y/o female). Last 2 yrs. mitral regurgation, aortic prolapse/regur. & a-fib. After several tests, Dr advises I need replacement (or repair) as MV is diseased. Have read on this board something about robotic surgery and other less invasive procedures (NOT open heart surgery). Is there anyone here who is or has had their MV replaced/repaired using either or both robotic/less invasive and open heart surgeries. I'm terrified, and don't know where to start getting info. Please, any advice/experiences GREATLY appreciated! :):confused:

OK, take a deep breath, hold it, and now breathe out sloooooowwwwwly.

That's better! Just wanted to say Hi, welcome to the forum. I can't help you much with your questions, but there will be some along soon who can (I had AVR, regular sternotomy). I am also 54, and my AVR was 2 years ago today!

There is a ton of information here already on the topics you are asking about. On the blue bar at the top of this page is a "search" function, if you put in MVR and/or minimally invasive and/or robotic, I am sure you will get lots of useful posts.

There are also "sticky" notes at the beginning of each section that contain links to other sites that have good explanations and/or other useful stuff.

If you can, read around, and when you have some more specific questions, feel free to post. Oh, and don't worry - panic and fear are both part of the process, so you are quite normal in that regard, too.

Hi, deeL16!

I'm 51, and I had minimally invasive open-heart mitral valve repair surgery (mini-thoracotomy) on March 26 of this year. Last week, I flew cross-country twice (Indiana to Oregon and back), toured the Columbia River Gorge, and rode the wild rides at an amusement park! What would you like to know?

Marcia

Thanks for the useful info. Glad to hear your AVR was a success and trust you're doing well! I'll look around for other sites and hope to hear from others who are or have gone what I'm about to go thru! All the best! Dee

welcome to the club

welcome to the club

Have had symptomatic MVP 13 yrs (54 y/o female). Last 2 yrs. mitral regurgation, aortic prolapse/regur. & a-fib. After several tests, Dr advises I need replacement (or repair) as MV is diseased. QUOTE]

hi dee

you mention mitral valve replacement/repair, but surely you would have your aorta problems fixed up at the same time. if so, i suspect you would not be a candidate for minimally invasive repair.

also minimally invasive surgery, with or without robotics, is still a traumatic proceedure; it no easy option, it does not exist.

the traditional sternotomy proceedure gives the surgeon more room to work and i am sure the best surgeon can still do the best job, with or without the robotic device.

it is quite natural that the prospect of this surgery should almost scare you to death, most of us feel the same way at first. i promise you that you will think of ohs every day to the operation and most days afterwards also. this is with all of us for life. but after a while you will get more used to the idea and you will calm down a lot.

the survival rate is 99% and it is a lot better than being dead!

good luck

Welcome to this site, it will be a big help to you in finding out information and getting
support. I am 51 years of age and just had my mitral valve replaced in June with
a mechanical valve. It was done as a minimally invasive procedure though my ribs. I
have been very fortunate that overall things have gone very well. Twelve years ago
I had a closed valvularplasty. That is where they go though the femoral vessel in
your leg and with a balloon blow open your valve which is stenosised. As Westie
mentioned it sounds like you may have some more issues to look at with having
a prolapsed aortic valve, so some of these less invasive procedures may not be
an option for you. Let me tell you several things that I have found helped my
overall fear. 1. Learn all you can about what is available, which it sounds like
you are doing. 2. Ask questions, but be knowledgeable with those questions. 3. Get
treatment early if possible, don't wait just because you are scared. 4. Realize that
any of these surgeries are major, the (minimally) does not mean easily or go home
the next day. 5. Once you have made a decision with your surgeon, expect the
best care and go for it, don't look back except to give thanks that you can! Laura B.

WHOA ! and take a Deep Breath (or two or three)

First, you need to know that Valve Replacement Surgery is a Highly Refined Art with outstanding SUCCESS rates when performed by experienced Valve Surgeons.

Rototic Surgery is fairly new and I'm guessing that it is mostly (only?) performed at the Major Heart Centers such as the Cleveland Clinic (rated #1 Heart Hospital).

Dr. Petracek at Vanderbilt in Nashville specializes in Thoracotomy (through the ribs) doing 200 such procedures per year and is possibly / probably the most prolific user of this procedure.

You may also be interested to know that conventional Sternotomies are NOT quite as traumatic as you might fear. Most feel some level of "discomfort" as opposed to PAIN although most also feel like they have been 'run over by a truck' for a couple of weeks or so..

Bottom Line: Just about everyone here (or a family member) is a SURVIVOR of Valve Replacement Surgery. If we can do it, SO CAN YOU !

Feel free to ask any and all Questions that come to mind as you wrestle with this 'adventure'.

Hi!

Oh, I do understand your anxiety but trust me, it will be OK. I had minimally invasive/robotic mitral valve repair on August 5th of this year. Gee, that was about a month ago! My mitral valve was leaking a 4 out of a 4 so I was pretty bad. 2 of my leaflets were also damaged but we didn't find that out until they began surgery.

I had my surgery done at Cleveland Clinic and I can't say enough good about the staff and care there. My surgery was on a Wednesday, I spent the first night in intensive care and then next 2 nights on the cardiac floor then I was discharged.

It was an experience or a journey is more like it. I am so thankful for the good doctors who were able to fix my valve. Remember, this is the heart surgery where your problem can actually be corrected! I almost cried when i saw my echocardiogram after surgery. It was the first time my valve never leaked! Amazing!

I've been back to work for about 2 weeks so I would say I'm doing pretty well. I go back for my follow up with my cardiologist this Thursday. But, I am back to feeling great.

I hope I've helped ease your mind a bit. I will attest to the fact that the months before surgery are the worst. Its a good thing to get behind you but you've got tons of support here!

Keep posting and let us know any type of questions you have.

Take care!

Just wanted to welcome you to the community & to let you know that we're all here to support you in any way that we can.

We've all been there before so we all know the fears, doubts, & anxieties that most of us feel when faced with OHS.

So feel free to ask any question or concern you might have. We're here! :)

Welcome. I have been through the horror of the dx requiring heart surgery. When I was so upset my doc reminded me that I had a problem that can be fixed. His comment "Many dx's have no "fix". I had my surgery at the CC......I made that choice mainly for the expertise of the surgeons there. I was told my many that the thoractomy was more painful than the open chest. I did not experience any pain........waiting was the worst part. Don't put it off. Once you have determined where and who.....get it scheduled and behind you.

cancer patients

cancer patients

Welcome. I have been through the horror of the dx requiring heart surgery. When I was so upset my doc reminded me that I had a problem that can be fixed. His comment "Many dx's have no "fix". .

hello dee

ponytailala's post reminded me of what our family doctor told me when i told him how "delighted" i was to be diagnosed with heart disease.

he said he had many cancer patients who would be delighted to swap places with me because i had a problem that could be fixed.

so in a way you are lucky!

Back