Upcoming heart test

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillCobit

Upcoming heart test...literally and figuratively.

I've registered for an early season half-iron race this Sunday: 1.2mi Swim, 56mi Bike, 13.1mi Run

I have never seen the course, but it's reputed to be brutally hilly: "...nestled in the Appalachian foothills...the race will challenge all ability levels as you take on this challenging bike and run course."

I have only two major objectives:

1) don't sink
2) stagger across the finish line before the DNF time limit. To paraphrase Mark W. "quitting is not an option (but periodic walking is ;) )"

This will be my biggest self-inflicted challenge yet, and I'm not sure I'm ready. I'm feeling a mix of anxiety and anticipation that must rival HS prom night (no personal reference point for that, so I have to assume.)

Wish me luck!

BTW, you guys inspire me to do dumb stuff like this. So if I finish, it's all your fault!

Tom and Bill,
Between Tom's marathon on Saturday and Bill's triathalon on Sunday,
Ross is going to add a new feature to the forum. Besides the scheduled surgeries and birthdays, we'll need a place to track the athletic competitions!
I hope you all post when you finish your events so everyone will be pumped up and enthused about getting an exercise routine going this summer.
:)
My summer plans include two sessions a day at the pool; one at 5 am and the other at 11:30. Beauty of it all is since it's summer, I can come home and nap in between!
Good luck and enjoy!
Mary

Bill,
Best of luck! You'll do great. Determination is the main factor and you've got plenty! Go get it, then tell us about it!

Bill,
I really admire you for taking on a half-ironman distance.
I did my first sprint triathlon this past February. The run is my weak link and is what I've been trying to focus on in my training recently. I feel pretty comfortable with a 5K run, but really struggle with any longer distances.

I also just got a set of aerobars for my bike and I really like using them.

I'm targeting another sprint tri in late July.

Good luck,
MarkU

Thanks! (you folks "get it")

Thanks! (you folks "get it")

I think this poster below represents the thoughts of casual observers who see me shuffle in loooooong after almost everybody else.

demotivators_1793_5693241.jpg

But I know you guys understand. Thanks for the support!

My kids' friends see me riding my bike around town & want to know when I get my license back. :D

Rebuttal to despair!

Rebuttal to despair!

Bill,
Remember the Myth of Sisyphis (I think I've butchered the spelling)?
He was condemned by the Gods to push a huge boulder up the mountain side, and just when he gets it to the top, down it rolls.
Back down he goes, to restart the process all over again. He is forced to do this throughout eternity. In my book, he's a winner because he choses to make the trek everytime.
My point? In life there really aren't designated winners or losers. We're all particpants for better or for worse. It appears to me that with your ongoing participation, you're way ahead of the crowd :)
Best wishes for Sunday.
Mary

That's exactly right, Mary. As John Bingham has said: "You're faster than everyone else who isn't out there." "The miracle isn't that you finished...It's that you had the courage to start."

Bill,
Despite the hard, grimacing work involved, it's clear this challenge brings you a lot of satisfaction and joy. What a pleasure it will be to cross that line!
Sue

Congratulations Bill!

Okay, lets get the details. That is one heck of an accomplishment! Next up 26.2 ????

Again, good job. You should really be proud of yourself to accomplish such a feat. Two awesome performances in one weekend. That is pretty neat Bill and Tom. :cool:

Mark

My sincere congratulations, Bill - you won. And we are proud of you. Love the picture - both of them. I bet that finish line was a pretty sight. This shows what your determination, guts and spunk can do.

Tom,
At least I got a peek at those legs. Really, you're such a tease!
;) Sue

Bill,

My hat's off to you for taking on such a tough challenge and achieving your goal. You are an inspiration to the rest of us - even those who don't aspire to feats of athleticism can take *heart* from the knowledge that valve replacement surgery doesn't mean that life is over or must be spent in seclusion in between protime tests! :D

And thanks for sharing your achievement with us, as well!

Great job Bill! You all make me want to get right out and exercise!
Mary

Some pix

Some pix

image002

Grinning fool.

image003

Still a grinning fool.

image006

Think I'm gonna hit the race photographer, who is bravely camped out at a downhill switchback.

image008

Slow as winter sap, but still grinning as I stagger toward the finish!

Latest posts

Back