Upcoming Dental Procedure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctyguy

OK....I have two crowns coming up next week. I know I need to pre-medicate. Who can give me some feedback on their experience with crowns.

Ross...you don't have to answer on this one, what you dealt with was pretty much insanity.

Compared to OHS, it's absolutely nothing. I've had several crowns and other than the ache of having to keep my mouth open so long while they work, there was no pain, no discomfort, nothing except a big bill. :eek:

I don't think I even took a tylenol after any of them.

It's a nuisance because usually it's two or three appointments and I hate that going back routine. The first appointment they drill the tooth down and take a mold to send to the lab to have the crown made. Dentist puts in a temporary crown after drilling the tooth. Then I had to go back to try the permanent crown. I don't think he permanently cemented to be sure it fit fine and then later put in the permanent adhesive.

Scott,
I have a mouthfull of them, it's a piece of cake, but not cheap!
Most of us use 2000Mg of amoxicillin one hour before the appt.
The only other thing you may question is the anesthetic. There is one that causes me heart palpitations, efeneferon(spelling?) is the one that gives me trouble.
Rich

pre-surgery I bet I have dumped enough money into various dentists to buy a very nice boat or pay for a kick-ass vacation for my dentist and his entire extended family....to Antartica....for a month !

I've had crowns before but was just curious about the bleeding and if you encountered any issues after the fact.

Sounds like its not much different than before my surgery.

Hi Scott,
Crowns shouldn't be a big deal. Talk to your dentist about planning, re: coumadin, pre-medication, and pain management. My recent crowns cost about $800-1000 each. Rich is correct, you should ask whether or not his anesthetic contains epinephrine, if it does then ask him for anesthesia without it to reduce the chance of heart rate irregularities.

One thing to watch for is to make sure the new teeth (crowns) match the color of your original teeth. Do not trust the inside fluorescent lights, take the color sample that they hold up next to your teeth outside with a mirror and check the color in natural sunlight for a more accurate color match. My first one many years ago was done inside but in normal light it stands out and is very different in color than the other teeth.

Good luck,
John

Maybe different with crown, - never had one - but for cleanings and even some spot deep scaling, my Periodontist said that studies have shown no need for prohpylactics (you know antibiotics...can't spell) I asked my cardiologist and he concurred with this study. Maybe if I had to do something more invasive they would recommend. My periodontist offered them if it made me more comfortable, but I declined. Just wondered if anyone else had been told this about no longer needing to take antibiotics in advance of dental cleanings.

RS

Scott,
The only other thing you may question is the anesthetic. There is one that causes me heart palpitations, efeneferon(spelling?) is the one that gives me trouble.
Rich

Epinepherine is NOT an anesthetic but is added to some anesthetics. It causes the heart to beat faster.

Some anesthetics are offered with or without epinepherine.
ASK.

Carbocaine does NOT have epinepherine.
It is shorter acting than other anesthetics
and (usually) has the least side effects / reactions.

The procedure is as JKM described.
NO BIG DEAL and NO need to go Off Coumadin.
You might want to hold your aspirin for a few days before.

YES, you should premedicate.
The New Guidelines still recommend pre-medication
for patients who HAVE an artificial Heart Valve.

'AL Capshaw'

I have always pre-medicated for root canals prior to crown replacements. I have not pre-medicated for simple tooth preparation for a crown unless it was so involved that bleeding could occur. This was all discussed with the dentist in advance and the dentist should know if there is a chance of bleeding. I also do not pre-medicate for permanent crown placement/cementing even with cord being used (which can sometimes cause minor surface bleeding).

Keep in mind that this is my own history and should not be construed as medical advice to you - merely a shared experience.

My dentist uses Carbocaine (sp?) which does not have epinephrine and does not affect my heart rate. However, it does wear off faster so you might need additional shots during the procedure.

Scott,
Rich

The anesthetic dentists use usually also contains epinephrine (adrenaline) because it constricts the blood vessels so the anesthetic will not dissipate into the body too fast and lose its effect. So, it can cause the heart to beat faster, etc. I usually tell my regular dentist to not put in the epinephrine.

wildflower,

Quite to the contrary. I just had AVR on the 28th of July. I was given a card by the surgeons assistant, I believe the card is from the American Heart Association. They both said make sure you are premedicated before any dental work, including the cleaning.

I was planning on pre-medicating. Actually I was supposed to have a cleaning last week and when I got there I forgot that I hadn't pre-medicated. The girl who does the cleaning wanted me to reschedule. My dentist is pretty conservative which is fine by me. No big deal to knock back a few amoxicillins, just gotta remember to take em !

Maybe different with crown, - never had one - but for cleanings and even some spot deep scaling, my Periodontist said that studies have shown no need for prohpylactics (you know antibiotics...can't spell) I asked my cardiologist and he concurred with this study. Maybe if I had to do something more invasive they would recommend. My periodontist offered them if it made me more comfortable, but I declined. Just wondered if anyone else had been told this about no longer needing to take antibiotics in advance of dental cleanings.

RS

You definitely need to premedicate if you have an artificial heart valve!!

The debate you heard is for patients before surgery (correct me, anyone, if I my info is wrong)!

Toothfaries

Toothfaries

Hi I was with the dentist last week had to have 3 fillings fixed and the rest of them cleaned. The thinking here is to premedicate an hour beforehand. There was no need to come off Warfarin the dentist was handy with the drill so there was no blood involved.

J

Back