Under what circumstances do surgeons ..........

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lance

and medical personnel learn about new advancements in valve replacement when a new or modified valve is marketed?

There's a lot of discussion about valve choice that causes me to wonder how do surgeons learn the merits of new valves? Would it be medical conferences, colleagues, medical literature, their hospital purchasing department, sales persons, flyers or direct mailings from manufacturers, sales personnel, lower cost, all of the above?

I'm just curious.

How does the very first (new) advanced valve end up in someone's chest? What convinces the surgeon to us it for the very first time?

I think it's probably all of the above. I haven't had heart surgery, but I had gallbladder surgery via scope.

After the surgery, both the surgeon and a manufacturer's rep came in to see me, and ask how I was doing. They told me that they were using a new product to do the surgery, and that the rep had done some of the surgery.

Maybe he was a doctor also. I was too tired to ask much.

I found that interesting.

BTW, operated on one day, went home the next, and never had one problem with it.

Oh, and Joe was to have his third valve surgery. I asked about the HeartPort method. His local surgeon said he had the equipment but had not started with it. Joe and I both thought he would be an excellent candidate for this procedure. And the surgeon agreed.

He had a colleague in a close by city who had done the Heart Port surgery many times, and he was willing to come over to our local hospital and work with Joe's surgeon.

That's how it was done, and Joe did beautifully. No problems.

My surgeon was attending many conferences. In fact, just a few days after doing my surgery he was off to Europe to attend one.
When choosing my valve, he did mention to me that he had a newer generation of valve to offer, but we agreed right away that I did not want to be implanted with anything except a valve with a longer track record.
My "chicken little" attitude prevailed.

Yes, I think all of the above. A surgeon would want to know all of
the details on animal trials and have trust in the product and the
people behind it. I do know that whenever they use a new medical
technology or item,that you are given the medical red-carpet treatment,
since the manufacturers want everything to go smoothly. Most times
the surgery is paid for by the company since they won't want to go
by insurance guidelines,its first class all the way.

We have at least 4 members who were impressed with the attributes of the relatively new (1996) On-X valves and asked their surgeons to implant them. These were 'first time use' valves for these surgeons.

Usually, On-X will send a representative to educate the surgeon on their recommended method of sizing and stitching *before* surgery. If the surgeon is willing, they will have a representative either present in the O.R. or standing by just outside to consult if needed.

Their Manager of Education, Catheran Burnett, R.N., is a former Heart Surgery Nurse who worked at Baylor in Texas before leaving to work for Carbomedics, St. Jude, and now On-X.

Thanks for the info ...................

Thanks for the info ...................

Nancy, Dina, Bina and Al

Nancy, arthroscopic gallbladder surgery is a great improvement. My vet had her surgery the old-fashioned way and is scarred from front to back. Recovery took several months and she couldn't physically perform some of the procedures required of her--reaching up. Quite a difference from your experience.

Dina, I hope you are correct.

Bina, I commend your chicken little attitude. You didn't go wrong.

Al, I certainly hope the On-X is a good as advertised and does not require ACT. According to your comments a manufacturer's rep would be directly involved. ;)

Interesting discussion. I think these surgeons always want to do what they think is best for the patient.They go to meetings. They talk to manufacturers reps.Their statistics are carefully monitored by administrators and local medical societies. It has been hinted by at least one contributor to vr.com that surgeons may use certain brands for personal financial gain. I doubt that any of them could be bribed so easily. These fellows all make over one million a year and some make ten million.

Board Certification. maybe?

I *think* that a "board-certified" doctor is one who is certified to have done everything designated by the "board" (whatever that is) to keep his knowledge up-to-date with new developments in his area of specialization.

Latest posts

Back