Two Pre-surgery Questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y

Yddem

1.) I contacted my surgeon's office regarding any needed cessation of vitamins, minerals and supplements. I was told only to cease using the 81mg aspirin that I take daily. My sister, who is pretty savvy in such matters, strongly suggests eliminating both Fish Oil and Vitamin E (as well as garlic!) Is she being overcautious? I figure better to be careful if there might be some effects. Has anyone else had any experience with this matter?

2.) Will I need to shave off my moustache and goatee prior to surgery? My wife has only seen me without facial hair once in 30+ years and she was not pleased! I know this is a silly question but I am curious to know in advance.

Thanks

Yddem:)

No worries about the fish oil, I can't speak to Vitamin E but I don't think it has any effect on Coumadin. I started taking Fish Oil again pretty shortly after returning home from the hospital. When I left the hospital my HDL was borderline too low and within 2 weeks it was down to 15. Two ways to raise your HDL is exercise and Fish Oil. At two weeks post-op I was up for a slow walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes at a time but that was about it, exercise was pretty minimal at that point so I started taking Fish Oil again. Im working on 8 months post op and am still taking two tabs every night with my meds.

As far as the facial hair goes...you may need to shave off some of your beard depending on how big it is. You will have a line into your neck during and after the surgery. They will shave your chest and your lower extremities (to a degree) if you need to still have the Heart Cath test. Maybe you can trim down your goatee in advance and it won't be an issue. I was in a no facial hair faze when I had my surgery so I can't say for certain.

Best of luck to you on your surgery, if those are the two questions that are eating at you then I would say your in a very good place mentally and THAT is going to serve you very well.

I can't help you with the supplement question, but the neck hair will definitely have to go. The facial hair should be ok as long as it's not too long. Be prepared to be shaven from your neck to your knees though. Don't worry - the nurses will help you with that :D The reason for shaving the body is so that bacteria won't stick to the hair follicles and also for ease of washing during surgery.

My surgeon had me off all aspirin products for two weeks pre-surgery. I continued taking fish oil before and after surgery. I don't recall if they gave me fish oil while in the hospital but I think not.

I take a multi vitamin with Vitamin E and surgeon was fine with my continuing to take it. Can't say about garlic.

They put a large line in neck artery so you will have to shave your neck.
The only reason I can think why they would shave your mustache would be for oxygen if you have need for oxygen post op. I had it under my nose for three days post op. Perhaps a moustache would not be an interference.

Welcome to VR.com. Happy you found us.

I can help with the facial hair question! My brother had AVR in June and did NOT wind up with his snowy white beard or moustache shaved. He often plays Santa, professionally, so he has quite a beard. I was quite surprised that that he didn't wake up to find that the beard was history........but he didn't, much to his delight. It may be different elsewhere. :)

My sister was advised to stop vitamin E prior to her breast surgery. She bled more from the initial biopsy and they think it was the vitamin E.

Ask your surgeon to be sure.

Hey, just noticed you are in Austin, Who's your surgeon and where are you having surgery? You can PM me if you like.

please don't say "no worries" about the fish oil. Fish oil can act to prevent platlet clumping thereby increasing coagulation time, under normal circumstances this is beneficial. However, during a surgical procedure such as what we have faced/are facing--not so beneficial. Stop the fish oil 2 weeks prior to surgery. the rest of the vitamins 1 week prior.

Likewise, best wishes from another Central Texan.

I don't have anything to add to the feedback from everyone else on your questions, but if you'll permit an obvious suggestion: be sure to discuss such things directly with your surgeon. If nothing else, it'll be fewer items to consider as you prepare for your smooth recovery :).

Everything mentioned acts as an anticoagulant so I would heed the advice and back off on those supplements until after surgery.

Good question. My husband had to be reopened after AVR to stop a "drip" from a surgical nick (not on the heart) that should have quit on its own. He was not told to stop the 81 mg or fish oil and I think that would have prevented the problem. He was a quicker surgery and may have missed a couple of pre-surgery visits and instructions that people normally have or it may have been that since his valve was severe they wanted to keep the blood thin.

Ask the surgeon.

please don't say "no worries" about the fish oil. Fish oil can act to prevent platlet clumping thereby increasing coagulation time, under normal circumstances this is beneficial. However, during a surgical procedure such as what we have faced/are facing--not so beneficial. Stop the fish oil 2 weeks prior to surgery. the rest of the vitamins 1 week prior.

:confused: Wonder why my surgeon did not discontinue my fish oil. He was most specific about aspirin but that is all he had me stop.

Yddem,my husband was also upset about having to shave his beard because the grandkids had never seen him without it. I called the surgeons office and asked if he had to shave it off. They laughed and said no they would put in his chart that his beard could stay. That took one little stress off of him. Godd luck with your surgery.

Interesting....my surgeon wasn't concerned with Fish Oil. I asked if I should stop taking it along with my multi-vitamin and he told me to keep taking them up until the day before surgery. He felt both were inconsequential.

Thanks to all for your replies. I stopped fish oil and vitamin E the other day and all remaining vitamins and supplements yesterday. I figured: why take a chance that there might be an impact?

yddem

fish oil has a different mechanism of action then coumadin. Be safe and come off it 2 weeks prior to your surgery. If your doctor didn't mention it, chances are he/she is not aware of the properties of fish oil.

Latest posts

Back