Trish hit a bump

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbam

Ok, I spoke with Trish last night (as I posted) and everything was great. Her son just called and informed me that sometime between late last night and early this am they had to use the defibulator and bring her back. He was on his way into see her. She doesn't remember what happened. Has anybody heard of this before:confused: I'm going to call her later.

I know they have pacer wires they can access...They did not have to use mine but there must be a need for a jump start now and then or they would not have them there and ready....Hope this is the only bump she hits.

on update

on update

thank-you on the update..........keep us informed
contiuing prayers and thoughts for your support....

zipper2

Hope it was just a bump in the road and all resolves itself soon.

I'm sorry to hear this as well, please let Trish know she's in our thoughts and prayers.

I am certainly sending my prayers as well. Hope this is just a bump in the road. I know many of us experienced bumps of one kind or another post-op. Mine was some rather "alarming" (I remember in my ICU haze hearing a nurse use that word) inability to recover oxygen function at first. It gradually resolved itself during week one.

So please send Trish our best wishes that her road to recovery soon will smooth out.

The day I was transferred to the step down unit I flat lined while a tech was drawing blood. He thought I had a seizure. When they took me back to ICU the nurse realized that my pacer wires were loose. They reconnected them and everything turned out fine. 2yrs later I am still ticking.:D

Sigh. I'm with Cooker, there must be a reason those wires are there. I thought about that when I was in the hospital.

Trish is in my thoughts and prayers.

Ruth

Jackie said:
The day I was transferred to the step down unit I flat lined while a tech was drawing blood. He thought I had a seizure. When they took me back to ICU the nurse realized that my pacer wires were loose. They reconnected them and everything turned out fine. 2yrs later I am still ticking.:D

the nurse realized

This is exactly why we all strive to have our surgeries in the highest rated, most experienced, best staffed cardiac surgery facilities. While certainly we want the best surgeons, we most especially also want the best possible nursing/support staff.

I am keeping Trish in my thoughts and hope all is now well resolved for her.

sorry to hear about your little bump in the road. yeah, the pacer wires are there so that a defibrillator can be attached. Otherwise they'd have to use the regular defib which would re-crack your sternum. (this is what the nurses told me)

That's a frightening bump! I hope all goes well for Trish from here on out. Hopefully they'll keep a very close eye on her.

V-tach and too low bp can cause such a thing. I don't think I had a defibrillator/pacer and don't recall any wires.

Yeah, I remember the wires - they weren't really wires, just like blue string - poking out between my belly-button and my main scar. It was explained to me that it is not uncommon for hearts that have just been through OHS to have little hiccups, and they are there to attach you to a pacemaker in case you need it. If you look at some of the TOOTS photos, you will see the scars; some of us refer to them as our "bullet holes", on member said her husband calls them her "blow holes" lol

Pacer wires

Pacer wires

I'm pretty sure everyone that has open heart surgery has pacer wires installed during surgery. I just got mine out today (5 days post-op). They had to use mine right after surgery to 'pace' my heart. It was out of rhythm...but after an afib that night, it got right back in rhythm and they didn't have to use them after that.

I pray that this is just a small bump in the road to recovery. There are lots of bumps and people have different ones. The hope is that all is well in the end, and I'm sure everything will be fine with Trish.

Take care,
DA

I remember that the first or second day post-op, I felt this strange little jolt (just tiny; you can barely call it a jolt) from time to time in my heart. I asked the nurse about it, and she said it was the external pacemaker which kicked in every time the heart rate went below 50 bpm.

By the way, someone else on this site said something about leaving his leads in and just cutting them at the skin. They did that with one of mine because they couldn't get it out!:eek:

Latest posts

Back