Triathlons With Aneurysms?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

Did anyone else see this article by a writer who is doing triathlons with an aortic aneurysm? I was quite surprised that his cardiologist cleared him for this. I had one cardiac surgeon tell me that I could run marathons with my aneurysm. Are these guys nuts or is the risk from aerobic exercise so low that they can safely recommend this? No way would I have been competing like this.

Sounds very reasonable actually. His doctor told him to keep his heart rate below 120. Swimming, biking, and running are all endurance type activities and are very good for the heart. And at his age (50) he's keeping his load below 70% (120). Google cardiological sports medicine or sports cardiology. You should find some good articles regarding this.

I saw the guy on TV...

I saw the guy on TV...

Yeah, I saw the guy on TV. Hmmm... Well I would not be doing that. Are thinking of going for it, CBD?
:eek:

But, seriously, I used to have knee problems when I tried to run a lot. (This was when I was thin.) People who may have connective tissue problems are more prone to knee problems.:rolleyes:

My husband recently competed in the Subaru Ironman Triatholon in Penticton, BC, Canada. A 60 year old man died while swimming the 2 mile distance. He had an aortic dissection. Apparently he had a ascending aortic aneurysm. He only had .2 miles left to go when organizers saw him struggling. They quickly pullled him out of the water but he was already too far gone to save him. My bother in-law watched the whole thing go down. The spectators thought the guy drowned but it was later discovered that he had an aortic dissection caused from the heavy exersion from the swim. My husband did not learn about it until after he finished his race. The family of the deceased were quoted as saying "he died doing what he loved doing the most". So there you have it folks....either you can live your life to the fullest and enjoy doing things even if you aught not too or you can sit back and watch the world go by in fear of dying because of a medical condition. Personally, I rather die doing something I enjoy doing then sitting back and watching others do things I want to do but shouldn't.

Char

Sit back and watch life go by?:eek: What about that wife and those kids of yours, CBD? I hope you bought lots and lots of life insurance while you still could! Or, are you and yours "trust-fund-babies"? Or do you just have lots of money to leave so your very young family can survive in your permanent absence? (Anyone who has lost a parent early would attest how much they miss that parent). I think you need to talk to those geneticists again, CBD. When I laid eyes on you and when you stood up I saw someone who looked very Marfan and that look does not go well with racing.

Someone I knew who lived in Washington, DC, had a dissection then a repair, but insisted on jogging every day. His wife forced him to carry a cell phone which, eventually, he had to use to call for help when he developed another aneurysm that dissected on one of his runs. He did survive, but then the family moved away and I do not know what happened since then. Luckily, his children were all grown-and-gone at the time of his second dissection.

You are not even close to 60. You are needed here on earth, CBD! Please don't push your luck!:(

I started doing triathlons about three years after my AVR with my doctor's support and encourgement.

I also did my first half marathon earlier this year.

I don't have an aneurysm, but I was also given the advice to limit my heart rate. I had some lab testing done to determine my lactic threshhold HR (159 bpm) and do most of my training at about 75-80% of that.

I always wear a heart rate monitor when I workout and will slow down or stop if my HR gets too high.

Limiting my HR relegates me the the "slow and steady" category, but I still am getting somewhat faster as I lose weight and my general level of fitness improves.

Prior to my surgery I was an avid weightlifter. My cardiologist still encourages me to lift to maintain muscle tone, but to use moderate weights with high reps to avoid spiking my BP.

I was pre-hypertensive before my AVR and now my BP averages 118/72.

Mark

My husband recently competed in the Subaru Ironman Triatholon in Penticton, BC, Canada. A 60 year old man died while swimming the 2 mile distance. He had an aortic dissection. Apparently he had a ascending aortic aneurysm. He only had .2 miles left to go when organizers saw him struggling. They quickly pullled him out of the water but he was already too far gone to save him. My bother in-law watched the whole thing go down. The spectators thought the guy drowned but it was later discovered that he had an aortic dissection caused from the heavy exersion from the swim. My husband did not learn about it until after he finished his race. The family of the deceased were quoted as saying "he died doing what he loved doing the most". So there you have it folks....either you can live your life to the fullest and enjoy doing things even if you aught not too or you can sit back and watch the world go by in fear of dying because of a medical condition. Personally, I rather die doing something I enjoy doing then sitting back and watching others do things I want to do but shouldn't.

Char

I'd rather get it fixed, then do it!

Sit back and watch life go by?:eek: What about that wife and those kids of yours, CBD? I hope you bought lots and lots of life insurance while you still could! Or, are you and yours "trust-fund-babies"? Or do you just have lots of money to leave so your very young family can survive in your permanent absence? (Anyone who has lost a parent early would attest how much they miss that parent). I think you need to talk to those geneticists again, CBD. When I laid eyes on you and when you stood up I saw someone who looked very Marfan and that look does not go well with racing.

Someone I knew who lived in Washington, DC, had a dissection then a repair, but insisted on jogging every day. His wife forced him to carry a cell phone which, eventually, he had to use to call for help when he developed another aneurysm that dissected on one of his runs. He did survive, but then the family moved away and I do not know what happened since then. Luckily, his children were all grown-and-gone at the time of his second dissection.

You are not even close to 60. You are needed here on earth, CBD! Please don't push your luck!:(

Don't worry I doubt I am going to be doing the Ironman anytime soon. I've talked with the geneticists at Hopkins and Dr. Cameron and they have said I don't have Marfans or Loeys-Dietz Syndrome. So while I plan on getting back and shape, I also don't plan on overdoing it because I agree with all your points Maryka!

The only restrictions I was given was on lifting heavy weight due to the increase in blood pressure when "bearing down". My cardio also didn't want me running very competative races that would increase stress and bp. I typically run 4-5 miles a few days a week at a 7.5min/mile pace. I was given no limit on heart rate.
Nick

The only restrictions I was given was on lifting heavy weight due to the increase in blood pressure when "bearing down". My cardio also didn't want me running very competative races that would increase stress and bp. I typically run 4-5 miles a few days a week at a 7.5min/mile pace. I was given no limit on heart rate.
Nick

You have a 7+ cm aneurysm and you are doing all of that? (Or is your profile wrong.) I'd be on bed rest!

Latest posts

Back