Traveling full time while on Coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimcdougc

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My husband and I are thinking about traveling the US for around a year. I am currently getting my Coumadin levels under control 10 weeks post op for AVR surgery on May 23, 2013. Have any of you ever traveled that long while on Coumadin. I would wait until my Coumadin levels are stable then start home testing before we did any long term traveling. Maybe I could have a clinic check my inr every month or so along with my home testing? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks - Kim

Get yourself a meter. Some insurances cover it. I'm told that Medicare covers it (if you have Medicare). Test weekly -- or more often if your diet or activities take any drastic changes.

For myself, I've purchased my own meters, I buy my own supplies, and I manage my own dosing. I track dose, INR, and anything else that may influence my INR using a spreadsheet. My records go back more than four years.

I would NOT be comfortable with going to a lab 'every month or so', whether traveling or staying at home. I know that some labs, and some doctors, are content with testing every month or two, but I don't think this is enough. Even some of the machine manufacturers advise to test weekly.

You may be able to find a doctor or clinic that can manage your dosing for you -- just call in your INR, and they'll get back to you with changes (or not). While traveling, it may make sense to carry a few different dosages of Warfarin, in case your clinic or doctor advises any changes, but you should be careful about drastic changes to dosing. It may help to get a seven day pill container -- that way, you'll know if you have already taken your daily dose.

If I had the type of job where I have to travel, I would bring a meter (or two), a supply of strips, my computer or a book into which I would record dosage and INR (and other items that may seem relevant), and do my traveling. I wouldn't let it hold me down.

If your INR is not stable, you may want to wait until it is -- but with regular testing - possibly even more often than once a week until your INR is stabilized -you should be fine to travel.

Get yourself a meter. Some insurances cover it. I'm told that Medicare covers it (if you have Medicare). Test weekly -- or more often if your diet or activities take any drastic changes.

For myself, I've purchased my own meters, I buy my own supplies, and I manage my own dosing. I track dose, INR, and anything else that may influence my INR using a spreadsheet. My records go back more than four years.

I would NOT be comfortable with going to a lab 'every month or so', whether traveling or staying at home. I know that some labs, and some doctors, are content with testing every month or two, but I don't think this is enough. Even some of the machine manufacturers advise to test weekly.

You may be able to find a doctor or clinic that can manage your dosing for you -- just call in your INR, and they'll get back to you with changes (or not). While traveling, it may make sense to carry a few different dosages of Warfarin, in case your clinic or doctor advises any changes, but you should be careful about drastic changes to dosing. It may help to get a seven day pill container -- that way, you'll know if you have already taken your daily dose.

If I had the type of job where I have to travel, I would bring a meter (or two), a supply of strips, my computer or a book into which I would record dosage and INR (and other items that may seem relevant), and do my traveling. I wouldn't let it hold me down.

If your INR is not stable, you may want to wait until it is -- but with regular testing - possibly even more often than once a week until your INR is stabilized -you should be fine to travel.

Thanks for your input. I have followed your postings about your different meters and find it very informative. I would not travel without my own meter/supplies but would test weekly or more if needed. I would follow up monthly with a clinic on the road somewhere and then call in my own results. If nothing else, I have learned (from your posts and others) not to have my Coumadin checked only once a month. Right now I am going once a week till we are for sure I am stabilized. I go to see my cardio dr in sept and will get a prescription for a meter then.

Again, thanks for the input. I have learned so much on this website. Knowledge is power.

Kim

I don't travel much, but I've seen reports from others who have had some fluctuations in their INRs because of varying activity levels, sometimes less than predictable meal schedules (and unpredictable diets), and other things that make the INRs less than stable. It's also not all that difficult to miss a dose (which is why I think that I suggested one of those seven day pill dispensers so that you can be pretty certain that you've taken your warfarin every day). Be careful not to make any drastic changes to dosing if you can help it -- major changes and response to those changes can start the INR roller coaster, and you certainly don't want that.

Enjoy your travel. Test regularly. Keep good track of your dose, your INR, and anything that may have contributed to any changes.

Yes - knowledge IS power (or certainly can be, if used right).

My husband and I are thinking about traveling the US for around a year. I am currently getting my Coumadin levels under control 10 weeks post op for AVR surgery on May 23, 2013. Have any of you ever traveled that long while on Coumadin. I would wait until my Coumadin levels are stable then start home testing before we did any long term traveling. Maybe I could have a clinic check my inr every month or so along with my home testing? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks - Kim

Self test and there is no problem.

Levels always fluctuate a bit here and there, the trick is to not oversteer with reactions and test and document weekly.

I'm now travelling around full time too. Wherever I have my meter is no problem.

Imagine diabetics not travelling because they have to test?

Latest posts

Back