Travel to and from...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janie

Surgery is scheduled at Cleveland Clinic in about a month. Its amazing how the palpitations and shortness of breath are kind of taking over! Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on traveling by plane versus driving? The drive from Kalamazoo, where I live, to the Cleveland Clinic will be close to 5 hours. My husband suggested we fly which would be about 2 hours. Getting there isn't an issue...its just coming home. I was told that when driving home I would have to stop every hour and walk. If I fly there is one connection in Detroit so that would be about the same. Any thoughts??

In my opinion, I would much rather fly home than drive. I have flown home after each of my surgeries without any problems. The drive for me would have been a lot longer (approx 10 hrs) than yours however.

Make sure to notify the airlines ahead of time, if you need wheelchair assistance at the airports in case you don't feel strong enough to walk to your gate(s).

I'm sure you'll be just fine. Good luck to you! :)

After surgery make sure you have made arrangements with the airline company to have a wheelchair ready for you at the airport upon arrival, or another means of transportation. Some airports are just to big to walk after surgery.

On the plane you will have to get up every 1/2 hr or so & walk the isles to prevent blood clots. http://mediwire.skyscape.com/main/Default.aspx?P=Content&ArticleID=37851

Drink plenty of fluids, and do not forget your gum to "pop" your ears with.

I wish you the best in surgery & for a smooth bump free recovery. Good luck & God Bless.

My husband had surgery at Cleveland Clinic and it is seven hours from our home. We flew to Cleveland for all the tests before surgery. Three weeks later we drove to CC for the surgery. Each situation is different but we were much more comfortable driving than flying after surgery. I turned down offers from friends to drive us home and we did just fine on our own. As in your situation, the flying time would have been the same amount of time as driving. We were also going through this during the fall with flu in the air! We stopped frequently and let him walk around, which for us was much easier than being in an airport.

Either way you will be fine so just trust your instinct about which is right for you!

Best Wishes!

For a drive of 5 hours or less, I would drive. You could easily spend more than 5 hours in airports for a two hour flight plus dealing with all the people. You still will have to get up and walk in the plane which can be difficult. You have much more control over things in your car. You can lie down (assuming there is a back seat), bring lots of pillows, stop when you want and could even decide to stop at a hotel if you get too tired.

However, I am much more of a driver than flyer so I might be partial.

I flew home after my surgery when the dr give me the ok which was about a week and half after OHS. I drive before my surgery with 10 hours of driving a day with a two day trip having to get out and walk around every 2 hours plus, to use the restroom because I was on 80mg of Lasix and 24/7 oxygen. :eek: I was so glad the dr gave me the ok to fly home I did'nt need the oxygen anymore I would of been miserable in a car for that many hours again. I had no problem flying they had a wheelchair for me and I waited in LA airport for a couple hours and did ok. So happy to be home and no more traveling. Home Sweet Home!!

Given your distance I would drive. I don't know what type of plane you would be flying on but Im thinking about turbulence and the plane bouncing around. And if you gotta change planes your probably going to be in the 5 hr range anyway. At least with driving you can stop when you want to and can get up and down as you need to.

We drove home after my avr at the CC last November. I had been in the hospital for 10 days and spent one night in the hotel in Cleveland before heading home. Our drive was only 3 hours--we stopped once for me to walk around--in the middle of a snow storm (you won't have to worry about that). It all went well. No problems. I did have to sit in the back seat with my heart pillow between my chest and the seat belt, though.

I rode home for 5 hrs back to SW Michigan from CC, and it wasn't too bad. We just stopped at the gas/food plazas along 80/90 every once and awhile so I could walk around. There is something to be said for both methods, but I liked being able to hop in a car and go, and not worry about departure times and airport navigation.

Latest posts

Back