Travel Insurance

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agian

The kids want us to go on a trip overseas, next year. Can I get cover for a 'pre-existing condition' (Bicuspid valve etc etc). Any suggestions, or recommendations for Australian insurers?

Haven't you had the surgery? As far as they are cncerned your condition is fixed.

Best advice is call the insurer and ask. I had no problems.

Haven't you had the surgery? As far as they are cncerned your condition is fixed.

Best advice is call the insurer and ask. I had no problems.
I'm still in the waiting room, but it's reassuring to know that after the op I'll have no problems. The insurance hasn't raised Warfarin as an issue?

What issue would they raise? Warfarin isnt a condition. I took mine with me. A years supply, got my gp to write a deliver all in one script :)

- Don't know, 3-15 years (estimates have varied that much)
- Maybe next year
- Two weeks, maybe
- No symptoms now, so I can only only assume I'll be OK

I found that being on warfarin was an issue for some insurance providers. I also am on a 457 visa which is a problem for the other insurers! Therefore when I travel I have to avoid doing anything that I may reasonably expect would cause me to end up in the hospital due to being on warfarin .

I went with insure4less but there was another that didn't exclude warfarin, which I will check when I'm at work tmrw and let you know!

Oops just read your post above. I never had issues with travel insurance pre op. Maybe cos I just didn't tell them I had a heart problem, as there is about zero chance of needing a sudden valve replacement in a two week holiday.

Hi

- Don't know, 3-15 years (estimatesd t)
- Maybe next year
- Two weeks, maybe
- No symptoms now, so I can only only assume I'll be OK

Seriously 3-15 years? I assumed you must have been having dizziness and been scheduled for next week.
I think you are over thinking this just a wee bit too much.

It you aren't warned by your doctor to not get out of the chair then the chances of anything happening are remote. Ask your doctor and just go out and do it if he says is OK

For your interest, on a slightly leaky / regurgitating homograph valve I was out doing this sort of thing.

These things don't just suddenly fail.

Even when I was diagnosed (a couple if years later) with a huge aortic aneurysm I still had to wait a few months before surgery.

Relax, ask your doctor, trust the opinion.

I intend to Pellicle, but I'd like to be insured in case Disneyland becomes Dissectionland. I know the chances of anything happening are remote, but still.

The first cardiologist I saw told me I'd need an operation within 5 years, same with the surgeon. The second cardio looked at the echo and said within 12 months. Cardio three, the most experienced, told me he'd be surprised if I needed an operation before the age of 60!!! So go figure. Valve 1.1cm, gradient of 30 and ascending aorta of 4.1. I'm new to this, hence the uncertainty. You guys have helped heaps btw.

Definitely take insurance. I was not intending in the slightest to suggest otherwise.

Don't mention the issue as who are you to determine it satisfies their definition of "pre-existing condition"

:)

I got told that breakable items (like my laptop) were not covered in my baggage. You can imagine how that conversation went ....

Agian, just relax.
You have already undergone your valve surgery many times (in your head, i mean). Must be tiring. My suggestion is to not anticipate things. You dont know when surgery will be needed. Neither do your doctors. Follow their advices, have your regular checkups, and FORGET about OHS. You will be fine.

In Canada it gets dicey on this...My current coverage provider through my employer (that I had even BEFORE diagnosis) told me that if anything happens to me and its related to my heart/valve, they review each case/claim on a "case by case basis" for travel outside the country. In theory I could get stuck with a big bill if anything happened related to my heart while out of the country. Whether they would cover part (or all) of it is unclear. It may be low risk of an occurrence, but its good to know where you stand.

You'll have to call the insurance companies there, and its obviously different everywhere, but I suspect you can get travel insurance - but possibly with your heart condition excluded.

I just rang a travel insurance company and they will cover a bicuspid valve, for a small increase (an extra 50 bucks for 16 days). Checking up on this stuff is always worthwhile.

Midpack, after the initial surprise of being told about my 'condition', things have settled down. I see life as a set of tasks, so any major changes throw me a bit (That's just my personality. I'm pretty boring, actually). I've changed my medications (to Losartan, Atenolol, Crestor), reduced the weights I lift and gained as much information as I can. I'm now resigned to eventual OHS. It's all good.

Last edited:
just remember that it will be about 12 months post op before you can get travel insurance on your new heart valve, had mine in Jan 13 and have to wait till next year before I can go overseas

I have aortic stenosis, and an ascending aorta of 4.6, but never have had trouble getting travel insurance. I am in the USA so that might effect the policy's inclusions and exclusions. The main thing is you need to get the insurance within so many days of booking the trip to get an automatic waiver of the pre-existing conditions clause.

Latest posts

Back