Travel and Coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Marie

I'm not sure what type of valve I'll get, but if I get a mechanical valve, I'm curious how it will affect vacationing. Can you go for two week periods without testing (generally we go away for 2 week periods twice a year)? The only people I know on coumadin are tested weekly.

Thanks

Hi,
I've had two AVRs and have been on Coumadin for almost 10 years and only get tested once a month unless I'm way off (rare) and then they adjust the dosage and I re-test in two weeks. Have been out of the country on business many times where I didn't get tested for 6 to 8 weeks. I don't recommend that by any means but when I returned, my INR was perfect. It's all about regulating diet with exercise and being aware of drug interactions, etc. You'll be fine...

Vacations

Vacations

Anne-Marie, Once you learn your weekly dose ,and this can take a little time most authorities do not recommend weekly testing. I test every three or four weeks now and I have a home testing Coaguchek unit. My cardiologist sends his stabilized patients to the lab every four to six weeks.. We recommend every one self test and perhaps self dose after they become more confident. Think about purchasing a Protime or Coaguchek monitor. You can take it with you on vacation. I am going to Vermont for two weeks and will take my Coaguchek but probably won't use it unless I feel my diet and activity warrants it.

Anne-Marie, I'm sure you'll be able to make this work. Once I got stabilized, I've been testing every 4 weeks for the last 6 months.

Anne Marie,

I've been home testing with the Protime for two years, and haven't been to a lab in just under two years. I've been on vacation several times and take my machine with me. The last time I went out of the country to Europe. I always take my Coumadin in the morning and I simply continued it there when I arrived. Never had a problem! I just tested a bit more often since it was during the holidays and I was drinking more alcohol. The only thing is when you stay for a length of time you will need a Power Converter. I bought one for this trip but never used it for the unit, and was able to run it off the battery for the weeks I was there. I tried it on the blowdryer I had brought, but it didn't work as it only covered for 1500 watts max. My blowdryer was 1800 watts and it blew a fuse at my brothers house. After that I was afraid to recharge my Protime unit with the Power Converter. This was my first time with the Power Converter and I was afraid to damage my Protime machine. Protime units don't come cheap.
I test once a week but only call my doctor every two weeks with the results. I have also at times tested every two weeks but feel better about the once a week testing.

Wishing you the best.

Christina

This is an interesting thread, because I have had similar concerns with traveling. I do not have a home testing unit and my insurance has repeatedly denyed my requests to purchase one for me. I am planning a cruise with my husband this summer and am concerned that my INR will be too low with the change in activities plus the different foods. I know I will be eating a lot more with the unlimited menus and food and DESSERT available 24 hours a day!!!! I have wondered if I could, every few days, add a couple of milligrams of warfarin and do this safely?????

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Oh Kim....I wouldn't 'add a couple of milligrams of warfarin' if you don't know what your INR is. Too, too risky!

My experience 'in the sun' has been upon return I tested once at 7.2 and once at 8.0. Oops! So, it doesn't make sense to add more warfarin. Least not with me...

Christina -- I have a CoaguChek and have been traveling for three months at a time and the batteries stayed charged. No plug-in's at all. Once my machine wouldn't 'hold a charge' and the next day Roche had a new one at my doorstep [while traveling]. CoaguChek has a five year warranty..:)

Thanks for all the replies on this thread. I've been worried that coumadin would drastically change my life, but it seems to be something you guys have adjusted to. That's wonderful to hear.

Once your dosage is stabilized, it's not a big deal at all. If you end up going that route, you'll soon know what we mean. Just like taking another pill everyday. ;)

Anne Marie--I have been on coumadin for 4+ years now and travel a good bit with my work. I rarely need to be checked more than once a month. One thought on traveling though is to make sure your prescriptons are not "pill schedule sensitive". I ran into difficulty getting my insurance to pay for a prescription before I had completed the previous one and needing it in advance due to travel. I now have the prescriptions written so the computer can't calculate dosage that may change--thanks to those on this site who advised that routine. I can't say that either the valve replacement nor the coumadin really has that much effect on my life one way or the other---like the Energizer bunny........Sue:cool:

Kim, have fun on your cruise

Kim, have fun on your cruise

I just came back from a cruise and I had no problem what so ever. I took my Protime machine with me, kept the curvette in the fridge in our room and tested according to schedule. The sun and just maybe the alcohol caused me to go up a bit too high, so I held back on my dose according the the schedule my doc gave me and then dipped a bit too low. Started my Lovenox with an increased dose and within two days was back to normal.

Just remember to bring a letter with you so that you can carry any supplies through the airport. I had syringes with me (Lovenox) and the Tenderlett (which has a mini scapel in it).

I have been on Coumdin for 21 years now and I have traveled many times before aquiring my Protime unit. It has never been a problem for me except for once in Florida. Due to my discovery of rumrunners while on a ten day vacation my INR went too high without me knowing it (came home and was in the range of 7 to 8) with a wicked headache. I had a subdural hematoma. I learnt my lesson after that incident.

What type of insurance do you have that they repeatedly denied a Protime?

I have Humana Insurance. I have exhausted all of my appeals!

Thanks for posting. I know I will be eating much more food than usual and lots of things I usually don't indulge in!

Dear Kim,
With the help of my great Cardiologist I was able to get my protime machine. It has been great not having to get it tested all the time. I have had so much trouble keeping in the right range. So many drugs have affect on it. I too have Humana Insuance. It took a couple of months but they finally gave in . I have had mine since oct. Right now I have been testing every week. I have went from the high 6.2 to the low 1.2. Was in the hospital for an abess tooth for a week. Just had a reveal montor removed ( what would nomally be an out patient visit turned into 4 days for me because of my INR up & down. THey ended up giving me several injection in my abodomen to get it up so they could release me. Keeping trying and maybe you can get through to them. All I did was contacted QAS fom their web sight and they did all the work.
Good luck
Sherrin
Mirtri Valve repair 5/99
Mitri valve replacement 3/02
St. Jude Valve :D

I love cruising!

I love cruising!

Hi Kim!
We just returned from a cruise to the western Carribean and I was worried about coumadin. I have my INR checked at an anti-coagulation clinic and they told me to just keep my eating routine as normal as possible. You are already aware of most of the foods that may contain vit. K so just watch that intake. Otherwise. eat yourself into oblivion! It seems that's all we did was eat. I was sure that I gained 10 pounds! When we came back I immediately had my INR checked and I was right on the money. We were gone for 2 weeks and there was an hour time change to deal with. I'm also lactose intolerant but that posed no problem in the dessert department!! I had dessert every night!! Have a wonderful time!!

insurance

insurance

Hi Sunshine!
I am just catching up on all the threads but I saw where your insurance company gives you fits about filling a prescription early. I have Anthem and they also balk at early refills. I found out before our cruise that they have what they call a : vacation over ride". You call them and give them the list of meds you will need and they notify the pharmacy to refill now. No problem. I was covered for all necessary meds for the cruise.

coumadin & travel

coumadin & travel

Hello , I have traveled extensively since being on coumaidn
( 2 years now ) . MY cardiolgost just told me live my life
and the drug will be adjusted to my dietary and excercise level .
It seems coumadin levels drop when people are active .
I wen't on 2 cruises and came home and my inr was perfect
yes, i ate to much and indulged in afew pina collidas :p .
My next cruise am hooked will be to the Panama canal
and South America in the late spring .
Did i read that someone cruised for 2 weeks wow
all that food :)
Dara tricuspid
valve replacement feb9th 2001 ( ST JUde )
Mt Sinai HOspital New york city
Dr Griepp ( surgeon )
Dr Fuster ( my angel )

Dear Cookie,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Coumadin and cruising!!! I was really concerned about indulging in the large quantity of food, and the extras, like dessert, that I don't normally do everyday. I will just watch those foods high in vitamin K! I don't want to spend my vacation constantly worrying about my INR and I knew that I would, because it has been such a struggle for me to keep it at a consistent range!

As far as warfarin is concerned, eat all of the deserts you want. (Hardly any are made from green,leafy vegetables.)

Hi Kim

Hi Kim

Hi Kim,

Joann is probably the world record on coumadin (31.5 years with 2 mechanical valves) We have just returned from 2 months in Florida. We do NOT do home testing. We have traveled to 48 of the 50 states and most of Canada. We have also been on at least 12 cruises.

The protime testing is easy to do when you are on the road. Orders from your local doctor. (always carry at least 2 orders). The visiting lab faxes the results to your home doctor. You call the doctor or he calls your cell telephone.

Florida was HOT! We had a good time, but are glad to be home in Western Ohio.

Happy Trails to you!
RVing, Living, and Enjoying Life
Happy Clicking

Kim and Anne-Marie

Kim and Anne-Marie

Go enjoy your vacations. I don't think 2 weeks without testing will hurt you. When you come home. test..and adjust then..High..Eat lots of greens..Low ..twix you dosage 10 % over a week (higher) Learning from my Guru..Al..:D Bonnie

Latest posts

Back