Training

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old clicker

I am still discussing home testing with my DR. When we first talked about it he said to get information on the machine I would be using, so I did that. Then he said he talked to the rest of the Dr's at the clinic, and they didn?t think it was a good idea (insurance wise). I don?t really understand where that was coming from. He then ask me if I was qualified to look after my warfarin therapy. I almost said I thought I was more qualified them him, but I held it back. Does anyone know where or what would be involved here in Canada to get some training that would satisfy them?

Going to the Lab once a month isn't that bad, but I think I would like a little more control.

Thanks

I don't know how it currently works in Canada. But generally speaking here in the states, the doctors still "manage" the coumadin when you home test. I call in my INR and PT to my doc and she then tells me if she feels I need to change, stay the same etc. and when to test again.

Of course it has become very clear through this board that at this point many patients clearly know how to manage their coumadin, and probably better than the medical folks.

But you might present that scenario to the docs, you would home test, but would call in results for their opinion on what to do. Of course what you do with their information is up to you!

Good luck on getting a home testing machine.

Clicker:

I manage my warfarin -- home-test and adjust as needed. Don't even call my results to my PCP (I stay fairly steady, between 3.5-4.2). During one of my office visits, one of my PCP's nurses popped in with results from another patient's INR test. My PCP asked what would I do (guess this was a test). I asked for the INR range and what the test results were. It was 0.1 or 0.2 over range, and I said I would do absolutely nothing. My PCP concurred. I think I passed his test!
I've often told him about vr.com and the anticoagulation & home test forums and he's comfortable with my continuing as is. I've also shown him the algorithm chart I bought from Al Lodwick.
Perhaps if you had an algorithm chart and could show your doctor that, they'd understand that you can manage your testing & even dosing as well (IF NOT BETTER THAN) they can.

Try contacting hospitals doing cardian surgery

Try contacting hospitals doing cardian surgery

Four years ago I had the same experience when asking about home testing.

So I cantacted hospitals that perform cardiac surgery.

Hamilton General referred me back to my PCP that I already knew had never heard about them

St. Mary's or London (not sure which) said they would get back to me and didn't.

The Toronto General (University Health Network, Dr. E. Yeo) responded the same day and they have trained me use both the Coaguchek S and the XS when my S wore out. May be other monitors have been approved for use in Canada since then.

Hopefully things have changed during the past 4 years. I would contact the Anti-coagulation Clinics, not just the over e-mail contact mentioned on the website.

Roche Diagnostics has a website--maybe they could refer you to a hospital that uses them.

Don't give up looking--maybe there is a facility closer to you than Toronto. Home testing is by far the best way to manage warfarin.

Old clicker said:
I am still discussing home testing with my DR. When we first talked about it he said to get information on the machine I would be using, so I did that. Then he said he talked to the rest of the Dr's at the clinic, and they didn’t think it was a good idea (insurance wise). I don’t really understand where that was coming from. He then ask me if I was qualified to look after my warfarin therapy. I almost said I thought I was more qualified them him, but I held it back. Does anyone know where or what would be involved here in Canada to get some training that would satisfy them?

Going to the Lab once a month isn't that bad, but I think I would like a little more control.

Thanks

In the early 80's the prevailing thought was that there was no way someone with diabetes could test their own blood sugar levels. It was simply too dangerous.

When it became clearly obvious that they could the response was, "Fine, testing is okay, but they CAN'T adjust their insulin or give themselves the shot. It's simply too dangerous".

When it became clearly obvious that they could the response was, "Fine, but only by needles, a pump is simply too dangerous."

You get the picture. Keep the faith...change is happening.

Latest posts

Back