Trained too hard - Now got bad pneumonia (4 weeks!)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haggis basher

I am Scottish, but living in Sydney Australia
Hi All.
I am just coming up to 3 years since AVR. Have found it very hard to moderate my training - having been a 'decent' runner in the past!
Came down very sick 4 weeks ago, and nearly 'choked' to death with spasms of coughing. Stupidly, I should have gone to hospital, but
being the 'tough Scot' - I suffered on my own! I believe my immune system is now 'shot to pieces'.
I have been on many antibiotics, puffer etc, but can't get well! (fighting the 'Black Dog)
Sorry about whinge, but being 74, and living on ones own...
See Ya
Brian

Is the coughing worse when you are lying down? (dry cough, hard to sleep, need to sleep in a chair) Just have to ask since those were my congestive heart failure symptoms, which were treated as brochitis, asthma etc. I'm hoping this since you're already a heart patient, this has been ruled out . . . Sure hope you feel better soon.

Please take it easy until you're feeling better! No sense pushing hard training when you need your strength to fight off the pneumonia. :)

Hi river-wear
Didn't mean that I would try training - only that I would be more positive! The hardest thing is to keep warm; we are in our 'winter here in Australia. Had a gentle walk, went to the library, and got a book/tape out on learning German!
See Ya
Brian

Brian, are you checking your temperature to make sure that you're not running one? I'm guessing the lethargy is your body's way of trying to tell you it needs more time to sleep and recuperate. Hope you feel better soon.

You might want to go back to the doc and get rechecked to make sure you don't have some other infection -- since I also suffer from Tough Patient Syndrome (and now at least intellectually realize how dumb that is and am fighting it), just want to nudge you to make sure you're getting followup and giving your doc specifics on how you are feeling. . . hang in there.

Latest posts

Back