Towerman out of surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mak506

Towerman's daughter here. Dr. Svensson finished the major portion of his surgery around 5:30 and it went well--he has a nice new cow valve. (Wish I could say it's shiny, but I guess not in this case! :)) We have to wait about another hour before we can see him, but we're happy the big part is done. Will update again tonight or tomorrow after we see him.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. Y'all are a wonderful community!

Don't be shocked at what you see. He's going to look pretty much dead. I'm not going to sugar coat it. He may have a few bumps ahead, so don't let anything rattle you. If you have questions, just ask us. Try to have someone with him all the time. You need to take turns at being the over seer of care. You also need to eat, sleep, and things yourself, so try to balance it out. ;)

So happy he's through the surgery safely. Take it slow and roll with what comes. He's in very good hands and will get excellent care.
Thanks for posting for us. We worry. :)

If you are able, please give us updates if it's convenient for you to do so.

Best wishes to you all.

Thanks for the update. I've got a bovine valve too, so your dad's in good company.;):)

Thanks again.

We spent about 25 minutes with him while he woke up. Ross, he looked a bit better than dead, but I see what you mean--I was surprised how cold his hands were, but his color was good. (Although FWIW, it was definitely harder to see him down and out than it was to see my mother in the hospital for chemo a couple years ago.)

He squeezed our hands a lot and responsively (with a few nods too), which was great. Reports from all quarters are that he's doing great, and we're looking forward to seeing him (hopefully without breathing tube) tomorrow.

Meg

Thanks for the update! So glad you are there for him. Each day will be better now. Soon you'll have your old Dad back.

Thank-you so much for update on your dad and be sure and rest also
it is hard on loved ones on this side of fence too:)

zipper2 (DEB)

Glad to hear he is doing well following the surgery. Be sure you get your rest as you care for him. My husband is still "recovering" from the care he provided for me during my stay last week. You are all in my prayers.

He'll be a whole new person today. Probably already had breakfast and is either sitting in a chair or out walking the floor.

Thanks for the update. You must all be relieved. Are you taking pictures? Something I had read here made me ask my husband to take some. I was later interested and asking questions about this important event that I had missed or forgotten a lot about.

Hope he has a smooth recovery.

Yep, definitely relieved tonight. He still hasn't had breakfast or a walk, but he's come a long way in 24 hours. He got his breathing tube out a little later than expected (around 10:30 this morning--he said the goop that came out with it looked like a strawberry shake!), some of the other big tubes out during the day, and got settled into his own room around 8:30 tonight.

My mother and I were very tired today after we visited him this morning. I'm looking forward to sleeping MUCH better tonight.

Debby, he told me before he went in that he wanted pics taken with all the tubes in in the ICU, but no cameras were allowed and my mother is anti-camera. I did take a pic of a few things around his room tonight, and will continue to take some more.

It sucks, but hey, he's at least going to live. Without this operation, he would only be around a short time. Zob still has his airspace cleared!

Back