TOPROL XL and INR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natanni

Anyone know if Toprol XL has the similar affect of raising the INR like amiodarone? Hubby was on Amiodarone @ day 2 post op for a few months op and we were told it would have a side effect of raising the INR. It did. He was switched over to Toprol XL over a year ago, and in Dec his cardio started weaning him off, by half his dose to 12.5 mg per day. Since then he started to drop from a rock solid 2.6 to a now month long consistant 2.3; He is now wondering if he should increase by 2.5 mg to his 35mg per week. His range is 2.5 to 3.5 but his cardio also said he is going to eventually move him to 2 to 3, but wants him for now at 2.5 to 3 (isn't that the smallest range you have seen??)

The only thing different was the Toprol reduction, although he worked longer hour over Xmas.

What do you guys think?

Personally, I wouldn't fuss with it. It's close enough. A range of 2.5 to 3.0 is ridiculous and nearly impossible to maintain. Actually, I think it is impossible.

Not showing any interaction between the two drugs, so it's most likely his extra activity that is causing the teenie tiny drop.

I have been on the Toprol for over a year and had my dose changed with as well...it made no noticeable difference to my inr...but I am blaming it for the weight gain...so watch out for that ...It does a real good job of keeping the BP & HR low though. I was on 75mg twice a day.

I take Toprol Xl 50 once a day. It has not had a affect on my INR, but I too have gained a ton of weight. It concerns me a great deal, but it corrects my a-fib so I continue to take it and hope that I can control the weight sometime soon. \Regards, Blanche

It often takes six months to get the amiodarone out of the body. I have seen it take longer. If he did not have an increase in his warfarin dose about six months after the amiodarone was stopped, then it could be that it is just now getting out of his body. This would account for needing a higher dose.

I just started on Toprol XL (25 mg daily) about 6 weeks ago for A-fib. I'm just ONE case, but neither my weight, nor my INR has been affected. Maybe I'm lucky.

I also take toprol xl. I have not noticed any difference in my INR after changing doses. I am only on 12.5 mg daily, so maybe not enough to tell a big difference. Now for weight gain - is that how I can explain it?

I've taken all 3 different flavors, Coumadin, Jantoven, Warfarin and there is absolutely no difference in test results from one to the other for me.

Latest posts

Back