Toprol vs. Atenolol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLB123

Hi,
I was put on Toprol XL before my surgery. I was on 50 then 75 and at one time It was 100. I know I was put on it to decrease the heart's workload. I think they thought it might help with the palpitations as well. The HR and BP were good on this med. I was 110/70, and 70s with the HR.

I am now Atenolol. I always have a HR in the 60s, and the BP is an average 105/60. I sometimes think the BP goes a little low at 93/52, and the rate will be low 50s. The palpitations never went away. There are times they drive me crazy. They decided to try Atenolol post surgery to see if it would help with the palps. There is no difference witht he palpitations but the BP and HR tend to run a little lower with this med then the Toprol.

I have also been having problems with leg pain and cramps. I wonder if this is from the Atenolol. I just think at night while sleeping my HR and BP drop so low that the circulation to my legs is decreased. Does this sound crazy? I just know that I never had this problem with the Toprol. I have had blood work and ultrasounds of the legs. The only thing that has ever come back a little low was my phos level. I was put on a phos and Pot supplement for it.

I just wonder if anyone else has been on Atenolol at one point and then Switched to Toprol, or the other way around and if so have you had any problems?

Thanks
Tara

I take Metoprolol (Toprol) 50 mg per day. It has really taken me 2 yrs to be comfortable on this med and with my recovery. Currently the only thing that will give me palps is ~S T R E S S~ or too much activity.
My BP runs from low 90s to low 100s/ over 60-70, same for HR 60-70.

I was on Atenolol, which is the only beta blocker that doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier. It didn't relieve the aggressive beat of my "hammer heart," but caused me other problems at only 50 mg per day (there are people here on up to 400mg/day). I went off it for several months. My wife was on it, and developed drug induced psoriasis from the generic version she was taking. She's on an Ace inhibitor instead now.

I've just been started on a brand new beta blocker, Bystolic. It seems to be relieving my hammer heart issues. I'll know better in a couple of weeks, after I've had my cardiologist visit.

Best wishes,

Tara,

The first Question that came to mind after reading your post is "What KIND of Palpatations are you having"?

Are they "Regularly Irregular" (a characteristic of PAC's / PVC's) or Randomly Irregular and /or Rapid at Rest? (more likely signs of Atrial Fibrilation).

For A-Fib, many of our members have found Sotalol (the Generic Form of BetaPace) to be quite effective. The Information Sheet recommends being admitted to a hospital when starting this drug "just in case" you develop a dangerous arrhythmia as your body adjusts to the drug.

'AL Capshaw'

iI was on atenolol for years but my dr switched me to toprol xl. I read about it causing dry skin so I asked my dr if he could put me back on atenolol and he did. they are the same thing anyhow, he said, except the toprol xl releases the med slowly. atenolol causes very bizarre dreams but also dry skin. A couple weeks ago my dr said I could quit atenolol but to keep track of my heart rate at home. Alas the pulse rate went back up so I am now trying one every other day - not dangerously rapid heartbeat, but enough to make me step back and decide to try getting off it slower. I do fine on atenolol - besides it's way cheaper. (and to ward off the dreams, I take one in the morning and never at night) actually fell out of bed one night trying to get away from an attack by an electric snake. Hurt like heck.

I've been on both Toprol and Atenolol, but I'm now off them both.

I think the Atenolol did help with lowering my heart rate, but it made me too tired.
I had awful nightmares with the Toprol.

Currently I'm on nothing and feel good. I see the cardiologist today, and we'll see what he has to say. I doubt that I go back on any meds.

ALCapshaw2 said:
Tara,

The first Question that came to mind after reading your post is "What KIND of Palpatations are you having"?

Are they "Regularly Irregular" (a characteristic of PAC's / PVC's) or Randomly Irregular and /or Rapid at Rest? (more likely signs of Atrial Fibrilation).

'AL Capshaw'

Al,
I did have some Afib after the surgery, which I know is normal. That settled down, but I have always had these annoying palpitations. PAC,S, PVC'S, skipped beats or extra beats whatever it is they want to call them I have them all. They are never the same. It may feel at times like my heart is fluttering, or doing flip flops(I call it the summer olympics in my chest). I can feel it in my throat. Sometimes I only feel what I think is a single skipped/missed beat, and sometimes I feel a few in a row(usually feel a little light headed with these). I have been on monitors and nothing has shown up.

I really feel it is the Atenolol giving me the trouble with my legs. I was doing really well post op. I was feeling better then I had been feeling in years(aside from the palps), and then in October I started with leg pain/cramps and horrible headaches. This is why I thin the Atenolol might have something to do with it. I am just trying to sort this all out and thought I would see if anyone else had problems with the Atenolol.

Tara

Tara, I have had all the same things as you; flutters, skips, runs, etc.
I'm taking 50mg of Metoprolol and doing better, but it took 2 yrs for my heart to behave better.
Try the Toprol and be patient.:)

I too get leg cramps. I hoped when I went off the beta blocker it would end them, but it did not. I am still on Diovan which is a blood pressure med, and at my appointment with cardio in 2 weeks, I hope to get off of it as well (ha! not with a BP of 120/80, but I can dream.)

I have found that if I do some leg stretches, particularly gentle ones for ham strings and calves, that I do not have the leg cramps as much. When you have been walking around all day and are warm, try doing some gentle stretches...kinda close to bedtime unless you've been lazy long before bed, relaxing.

Some times it doesn't matter what I do....I just get leg cramps. It is said that Tonic water (the fizzy part of a Gin and Tonic) which has quinine in it can help. I enjoy tonic water anyway (with or without gin) so have some on hand. I don't notice any improvement, but others have.

GOod luck!

Marguerite

Bina,
I was on the Toprol for 3 years before the surgery and a few months after the surgery. We tried the Atenolol to see if it would help with the palps. I would get them 24/7. They have calmed down some, but I still feel the Atenolol has something to do with the leg cramps and pain. I have asked the NP in my cardiologist office if I can go back on the Toprol. I am just waiting for a reply.

Thanks
Tara

Latest posts

Back