Toprol: brand vs. generic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryen0

I have recently read a few things that suggest patients have better effects from brand name toprol than from the generic. Even though this sounds ludacris, i guess it could happen. Has anyone noticed this themselves? I ask because my generic metroprolol doesn't do much to supress my pvcs. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

The generic got me!

The generic got me!

I've been taking Toprol for three years for a-fib. At first, it made me very tired and gave me big time nightmares. But, I did adjust to the medication and actually enjoy the dreams now.

A while back, my doctor suggested the generic for economic purposes. Well,then, there now, I took the same dose of the generic and it gave me whopper headaches and left me with little energy. I had ringing in my ears, and all sorts of other small problems. Problem is, I did not associate the change from brand name to generic until after I had visited two doctors. My friend, who is known to be a professional builder of mountains from mole hills thought I might have a brain tumor.

As soon as I went back to Toprol, the name brand, I was just fine.

Regards,
Blanche

pharmacists says they are identical, Metroprolol and Toprol.

My insurance company said they would only pay for the generic.
I changed last August since then I have put on 12# and developed a cough.
Lack of energy, and more forgetful, I don't know but no one will believe me when i say there is something different.

I can trace it back to the date I changed. But they are supposed to be identical........

I am a big believer in generics. Generics that are marketed in the USA come under the control of the FDA and their "active" ingredients must be identical to the brand name. The "innactive" ingredients such as dyes and fillers can differ from the brand. My feeling is to try the generic, where available. If you experience problems, go back to the brand. If the generic works as well as the brand you will save a bunch of $$$. Currently I take 5 Rx's, all generics.

Lopressor is a brand name which I would like to try instead of my Metoprolol which wears off too quick.
Problem is, we only have one strength of Lopressor in time release form.(in Canada)

I am on 25mg twice per day. My only concern is that my heartrate has gone up slightly the last 2 days, from 65bpm to roughly 80bpm. I have an appointment with my cardiologist tomorrow, will ask him, probably no big deal.

Eric

In the highly competitive UK retail chemists (pharmacies) market, it's more complex than a straight generics v brand names. It's generics v generics. Chemists shop around for the best wholesale deals on generics.

I renew my various drugs every two months from the same chemists. I will use furosesmide (water tablets) as the best example because their effect is easy to gauge. Every two months my furosesmide tablets seem to come in a different sized box in a different blister pack carrying a different importers name. They may be manufactured in either Eastern European, India or China. All carry approval notices from our UK drug regulators.
The effects vary considerably. This week a new batch were started, I took them this morning an hour and a quarter ago and I'm still waiting for the first urgent urination of the day. This batch has a long effect, I will be paying stimulated toilet visits into the evening. Contrast that with the batch just finished. After half an hour they would be sending me to have a leak, urine stream would be powerful and urgent, by mid afternoon their effect would have gone.
Now officialdom has it both batches of generic furosesmide are identical. Two 40mg tablets taken in the morning should have the same effect from whatever batch. They plainly don't. Who knows what variations are going on with my various simvastatin and ace inhibitors????

Brand Name for me.....I had big issue's while on Metoprolol....my doc thinks I am nuts for believeing it was the drug; but have been on Toprol for a few years with no noticable side effects........

Toprol

Toprol

I have recently read a few things that suggest patients have better effects from brand name toprol than from the generic. Even though this sounds ludacris, i guess it could happen. Has anyone noticed this themselves? I ask because my generic metroprolol doesn't do much to supress my pvcs. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I also read an article that indicated that there was a difference. I had my cardio write on the scrip not to substitute. In the article there were complaints by patients of it not working the same. I take Toprol XL

Back